Is My 9800 Pro Dead?

MJedi

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Hello all,

So I come home from work and the monitor does not come on even during POST. Monitor still works. A few weeks ago, I had replaced the stock HSF of the ATI 9800 Pro (BBA) because it stopped working. I got an Artic Cooling AVC-1000 as a replacement, and all was well... until yesterday. The AVC-1000 is still working, but nothing is being displayed. So, I'm wondering if the failure of the stock HSF caused some damage to the card and weeks later it finally died. The card is not even listed in the Device Manager. Good thing my PC has on-board VGA. Any thoughts?

I did some searching here and discovered that I can still send my card to ATI for replacement or repair because my card is covered for 3 years. Thank goodness. I just hope they accept it as an in-warranty service. I will have to put back the stock HSF and hope they don't check that I replaced it. (If their fan worked properly I wouldn't have needed to replace it in the first place!)

Thanks.

cleeve

Illustrious
Only way to find out for sure is to try it in a different computer, or try a videocard you know works in your computer.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Have you removed the HSF to see if any compound leaked off the die and onto the waffer?

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>