XP Reboot when trying to logoff

When trying to click logoff, the XP will always prompt to restart in 1 minute
because Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is terminated unexpectedly.
The message also say the shutdown was initialed by NT Authority / System.

Any ideas ?
3 answers Last reply
More about reboot logoff

    Is your system firewalled? Usually, worms cause this shutdown timer.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "magwg" <magwg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When trying to click logoff, the XP will always prompt to restart in 1
    > minute
    > because Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is terminated unexpectedly.
    > The message also say the shutdown was initialed by NT Authority / System.
    >
    > Any ideas ?

    Hi Ramesh,

    Yes, my system is connected to company network.
    BTW, I already scan through the notebook but there is no virus found.
    Anyway to tackle the issue ?

    Thanks in advance.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Is your system firewalled? Usually, worms cause this shutdown timer.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >

    > "magwg" <magwg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When trying to click logoff, the XP will always prompt to restart in 1
    > > minute
    > > because Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is terminated unexpectedly.
    > > The message also say the shutdown was initialed by NT Authority / System.
    > >
    > > Any ideas ?

    Hi magwg,

    For example: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826955

    I don't think of any other reason why the RPC Service should terminate. See
    if your network admin can help in this matter.

    --

    > Hi Ramesh,
    >
    > Yes, my system is connected to company network.
    > BTW, I already scan through the notebook but there is no virus found.
    > Anyway to tackle the issue ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Is your system firewalled? Usually, worms cause this shutdown timer.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> Windows XP Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.winhelponline.com
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>
    >> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >>

    >> "magwg" <magwg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > When trying to click logoff, the XP will always prompt to restart in 1
    >> > minute
    >> > because Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is terminated unexpectedly.
    >> > The message also say the shutdown was initialed by NT Authority /
    >> > System.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas ?

Support Microsoft Windows XP