I think this problem may be associated with removing the n-case spyware
(http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/nCase.html), which SpyBot caught and
removed for me.

Unfortunately, now when I open certain web pages by clicking on links,
I get the following error:

========
The page cannot be displayed

[...]

Please try the following:

Open the s: home page, and then look for links to the information you
want.
========

When I hover the mouse pointer over "s:" (which is a hyperlink), the
link shown in the status bar is:

res://shdoclc/syntax.htm#

I've tried repairing Internet Explorer using the command "sfc
/scannow", but this didn't help.

Any help?

Thanks,

P.

Reinstall Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP:
http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_ie_6_on_xp.htm

When you're prompted for the updated system files:

Case 1: If you've installed a Service Pack (1 or 2) after you installed
Windows XP, mention the path as follows:

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

Case 2: If you have a Windows XP Operating System CD integrated with the
latest Service Pack, simply point to the following path:

X:\i386

Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive-letter.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP