Havok announces physics engine for GPUs

cleeve

Illustrious
As predicted.

Aegia's PhysX card could be in trouble before it's even released, if it has to compete against cheap, plentiful Radeons & Geforces out of the gate:

<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20051028224421.html" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20051028224421.html</A>

Very interesting read! I wonder what the time delay will be between hardware and software support? Will this be a case where early SM3.0/physics processng is supported, but not executable on todays GPUs because of lack of power?

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

cleeve

Illustrious
Well, since it's a free performance boost, and since even todays SM 3.0 cards are vastly more efficient at FP calculations than today's CPU's are - and CPUs are currently making the physics calculations - I'd say any use at all would be a decent increase.

People might end up buying SLI and Xfire boards not to dual-link their graphics cards, but to dedicate one for graphics and one for physics...

I obviously need to do some more reading on this subject. Isn't this a separate card? How is it a free performance boost?

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

cleeve

Illustrious
Well, the performance boost might be free in some situations, as you have to have a videocard anyway.

True, it may require a dedicated card, but it also may not - in which case your GPU (which you own anyway) would handle both graphics as well as some physics calculations.

But the details remain to be seen.

So it can be integrated into video cards as an additional chip?

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

cleeve

Illustrious
Nonono...

The graphics chip *ITSELF* can be used to calculate physics!

i.e. a currently selling Radeon X1800 or Geforce 7800!

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
That a bit of kick a$$ there. Good thing I got my 7800gtx ;-)

If such does roll out, employees of AGEIA would need to polish their resumes.

Either way, Id prefer it to so software than adding another piece of hardware in my rig.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Basically, it's a software engine that does enhanced physics processing on the GPU instead of the CPU.

I did some more reading to alleviate my ignorance. Here's a <A HREF="http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136639.html" target="_new">Q&A</A> for anyone that wants some more details on Havok FX.

*Steam rising*
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!