No .exe files will run

XP SP2

I have a computer which has suddenly stopped any .exe files running. The
message about 'no program associated with this type of file' appears.

I removed the drive and installed it in another computer to allow virus &
malware scanning. One virus was found by AVG - 'Collected.6.L' and no malware.

Any ideas what could have happened to stop .exe files running?

Is there any way I can re-associate .exe files without reinstalling WXP?

Thanks

Jackie
3 answers Last reply
More about files

    Can't open EXE files
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Jackie" wrote:

    | XP SP2
    |
    | I have a computer which has suddenly stopped any .exe files running. The
    | message about 'no program associated with this type of file' appears.
    |
    | I removed the drive and installed it in another computer to allow virus &
    | malware scanning. One virus was found by AVG - 'Collected.6.L' and no malware.
    |
    | Any ideas what could have happened to stop .exe files running?
    |
    | Is there any way I can re-associate .exe files without reinstalling WXP?
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | Jackie

    ..com gives the same message - no file association...

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Can't open EXE files
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Jackie" wrote:
    >
    > | XP SP2
    > |
    > | I have a computer which has suddenly stopped any .exe files running. The
    > | message about 'no program associated with this type of file' appears.
    > |
    > | I removed the drive and installed it in another computer to allow virus &
    > | malware scanning. One virus was found by AVG - 'Collected.6.L' and no malware.
    > |
    > | Any ideas what could have happened to stop .exe files running?
    > |
    > | Is there any way I can re-associate .exe files without reinstalling WXP?
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > |
    > | Jackie

    Click Start, Run and type Command.com
    Type "c:\windows\regedit.exe"

    Fix the .exe association here:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
    Set the (default) to exefile

    Goto:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
    Set the (default) to the following *exactly as given below*

    "%1" %*

    Close Regedit.exe

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Jackie" <Jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > XP SP2
    >
    > I have a computer which has suddenly stopped any .exe files running. The
    > message about 'no program associated with this type of file' appears.
    >
    > I removed the drive and installed it in another computer to allow virus &
    > malware scanning. One virus was found by AVG - 'Collected.6.L' and no
    > malware.
    >
    > Any ideas what could have happened to stop .exe files running?
    >
    > Is there any way I can re-associate .exe files without reinstalling WXP?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jackie

Malware Computers Windows XP