7800GT Extreme or X8100XL?

Dodgy_Bob

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
So, the XFX 7800 GT Extreme (450Mhz) or an X8100 XL (500Mhz)?

Price is more or less identical (7800 slightly cheaper).

Which would be the one to go for? I've read loads of stuff and can't decide!! :)

X1800XL hasthe more advanced feature set. If they are the same price, then go for the 1800XL.

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

pauldh

Illustrious
I myself, would do exactly what Rugger just said. But the 7800GT does win more benchmark charts than it loses when the two are measured. To the eye or gamer, I'd say they are pretty equal cards part from a couple titles, but if one edges the other out for an overall speed crown, it's the 7800GT coming out on top. It depends on preference or the games you play. Here the X1800XL is still $50+ more, so hearing them equal priced makes the XL an attractive option.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=658042" target="_new">3DMark05</A> <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3781954" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

mofofosho

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2005
depending on your platform for either SLInking or Xfiring it then consider both cards feature rich strengths i.e. dynamic branching/hardware vertex texture fetch/memory ring bus achitecture/24pipe gpu achitetechture/hdr+aa/sstaa
/dedicated purevideo/avivo via shader etc...last but not least, read online comparos/benchmarks, best of all try it first hand if you can before/upon purchase.

danizaken

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2005
How do you know which card has better image quality?
Suppose the x1800xl has better image quality than the 7800gt and therefor loses some fps vs the 7800gt at the same settings.

Image quality, IMO, is somewhat user defined - qualitative vs quantatative. More than likely, your monitor will be the limiting factor in image quality.

*Steam rising*
|<font color=red>(\__/)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(='.'=)</font color=red>|
|<font color=red>(")_(")</font color=red>|
~~~~~
BUNNY STEW FOR DINNER!!

Dodgy_Bob

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Thanks for the replies guys. This is a really tough decision but I guess the bottom line is...it doesn't really matter! Both cards will do the job.

I'm not fussed about SLI or Crossfire and the difference in image quality between the two is probably something I'd never notice when trying to defend my base from the rampaging horde is some game or another!

Think I'll go for the X1800 XL just cos it's newer (and it has video-in) :)

Coke / Pepsie , ATi / nV

At this point both are stong and either would be a good choice. Feature sets can be of interest, but just like the X800/GF6800 series debate, it's best to be concerned more about the performance in the games you play rather than a checkbox feature you may never use. Use tose checkboxes as tie-breakers.

There are IQ differences, but they are subtle, and you basically have to take a screen shot to truely notice them (although when paused it does make you say, hey look at that), during gameplay not as big an issue unless you have shimmering textures, etc. I could show you a case that you would notice, but just like the notches at the midway point on the sides of your CRT TV (except SONY), you likely wouldn't notice it until I point it out, and then everytime after that you'd curse for no longer being blissfully naive.

Personally I just wish they had something better in the mid-range. The XL almost feels like ATi's midrange, because the X1600 sux IMO compared to the old X800XL.

Whichever one you choose should last you the same amount of time, and play the same games, so buy for what suits you best right now.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internët account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'd so get a x8100xl. That thing must do 100Ghz Core. You'd be the shiat!

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny