help please need to format

hi i need to wipe my pc clean and start all over again can anyone help me in
lamens terms please i have xp pro it wont restore so need to wipe thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about help format

    If you have the installation disk it is relatively simple. Insert the CD and
    follow the step by step details. It will ask if you wish to perform a "fresh"
    install and give you the option to reformat the hard drive. Just answer yes
    and off it goes. Also be advised you may need a new activation key once the
    setuo is complete. If it does it will ask you in which manner you wish to
    contact Microsoft. Select the call up option which will provide you the 800
    #. Have your CD key ready :-). Hope this helps.

    "poppy" wrote:

    > hi i need to wipe my pc clean and start all over again can anyone help me in
    > lamens terms please i have xp pro it wont restore so need to wipe thanks

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "poppy" wrote:

    | hi i need to wipe my pc clean and start all over again can anyone help me in
    | lamens terms please i have xp pro it wont restore so need to wipe thanks

    thanks for all your replies but im stuck on the partition its telling me taht
    i have another opertaing system on there and cannot have both i think its
    cause i upgraded to xp from home im not sure but i cant seem to do anything
    it wont let it has three choices here they are
    1, unpartioned space 47mb
    2, c: partional space 76238 mb (45755 mb free)
    3, unpartioned space 8mb
    no matter which one i select it wont do it i have 80gb hard drive 1mb memory
    and xp pro please help me i need to get this wiped thanks again
    poppy

    "poppy" wrote:

    > hi i need to wipe my pc clean and start all over again can anyone help me in
    > lamens terms please i have xp pro it wont restore so need to wipe thanks

    thanks is anyone here still helping me i would appreciate it thanks

    "Michael" wrote:

    > If you have the installation disk it is relatively simple. Insert the CD and
    > follow the step by step details. It will ask if you wish to perform a "fresh"
    > install and give you the option to reformat the hard drive. Just answer yes
    > and off it goes. Also be advised you may need a new activation key once the
    > setuo is complete. If it does it will ask you in which manner you wish to
    > contact Microsoft. Select the call up option which will provide you the 800
    > #. Have your CD key ready :-). Hope this helps.
    >
    > "poppy" wrote:
    >
    > > hi i need to wipe my pc clean and start all over again can anyone help me in
    > > lamens terms please i have xp pro it wont restore so need to wipe thanks

    thanks to all of ya who gave me some help with me pc its all done now
    so thanks again
    "poppy" wrote:

    > hi i need to wipe my pc clean and start all over again can anyone help me in
    > lamens terms please i have xp pro it wont restore so need to wipe thanks

    Hi

    What is the problem with your installation of XP?

    If you really do need to format, please have a look at the following article
    by Michael Stevens regarding a 'Clean'
    install of XP:

    "Clean Install Windows XP "

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "poppy" <poppy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hi i need to wipe my pc clean and start all over again can anyone help me
    > in
    > lamens terms please i have xp pro it wont restore so need to wipe thanks

Microsoft Format Windows XP