USB Printer Trouble

rtw1701

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello,
I have a brothers HL-1240 printer hooked into my computer using a USB cable. Problem is when I do a cold or warm reboot I have to unplug the printer from the USB connection to print. I get an error of problem with printer check connection... The system properties gets a Unknown device added to it under the USB section, and when I do the unplug/plug routine it goes away and printer printes fine again. I have an Asus p3c2000 motherboard (I have latest bios for MB). I've used the USB cable with a Dlink USB hub and still have same trouble. I've taken a look, but is there a MB setting that I change to make the printer allway work? or what else?

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
USB is finicky. Unplug your printer. Uninstall your driver. Re-install your printer driver. Then plug the printer back in last.

:cool: James

G

I had a problem with a cust printer, he had a HP printer and the problem turned out to be the Via usb root hub controller, I uninstalled it, rebooted windows, Win found the root hub, reinstalled the drivers and it has worked fine ever since, could be something to try

stevep12

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
I have a VIA root hub, and I am trying to connect my HP Photosmart printer to this. I have been working on this for 5 days and havent gotten it to work. I have uninstalled all the USB devices to let Windows reinstall them, but this didnt change a thing. When you uninstalled the root hub, was the printer still connected to the PC?
Im trying to determine if its my PC or the printer and how to fix it.