tech : atari power brick=asteroids

Evening All ,
Blows F3 about 3 seconds after power up . Spot killer comes
on before F3 blows . It appears that both the diodes(?)on the rectifer
board are blown . I have switched several game boards and a/r boards
with the same results .Would like to replace with switcher but how do
do make the 6.3 and 10.6 voltages out of 5 and 12 volts?
I have several other power bricks that use a single bridge
rectifer instead of the board mounted diodes . can this be done in
place of the rectifer board ?
The other power bricks also seemed to be keyed in
different locations - pin 8 , pin 11 , so just swapping bricks is out
of the question as asteroids isnt keyed and the voltage pin-outs seem
to be different.
Any and all help or direction would be greatly appreciated
.. thanks in advance for your time . mike
1 answer Last reply
More about tech atari power brick asteroids

    Asteroids is not a good candidate for a switcher since the power brick
    produces the supplies for not only the standard DC voltages, but AC as well
    (apprx 60 volts centertapped if my memory serves) for the monitor supply -
    the AC is rectified on the monitor board.
    Much easier to fix or replace the brick. If you insist on doing the
    switcher conversion, you will have to leave the brick in place, keep the
    wiring to the monitor for the AC feed, use 12 volts for the 10.3; the 6.3
    IIRC is AC for the monitor filaments; I suppose you could regulate 12 VDC
    down to 6.3 and run the filaments on DC instead, they shouldnt care as they
    are really just a light bulb.
    Not sure what F3 is fusing, but it wouldnt hurt to unplug your monitor to
    make sure the monitor is not taking out the fuse - from what you say about
    swithcing AR and game boards, its a possibility

    --
    Art
    "arcadegamer" <arcadegamer@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Evening All ,
    > Blows F3 about 3 seconds after power up . Spot killer comes
    > on before F3 blows . It appears that both the diodes(?)on the rectifer
    > board are blown . I have switched several game boards and a/r boards
    > with the same results .Would like to replace with switcher but how do
    > do make the 6.3 and 10.6 voltages out of 5 and 12 volts?
    > I have several other power bricks that use a single bridge
    > rectifer instead of the board mounted diodes . can this be done in
    > place of the rectifer board ?
    > The other power bricks also seemed to be keyed in
    > different locations - pin 8 , pin 11 , so just swapping bricks is out
    > of the question as asteroids isnt keyed and the voltage pin-outs seem
    > to be different.
    > Any and all help or direction would be greatly appreciated
    > . thanks in advance for your time . mike

Games Power Atari Video Games