Closed

how to delete outbox message

How do I delete an outgoing e-mail from outlook express outbox. When I open
outlook outbox the program ends up not responding. I can hear the computer
running, everything slows up and I have to keep trying to close the program.
I can't seem to get the file highlighted - it just starts to process right
away.
6 answers Last reply
More about delete outbox message

    Hi

    Sounds as though the Outbox folder may have become corrupted somehow. In
    Outlook Express go to Tools>Options>Maintenance and then click on 'Store
    Folder'. Make a note of that folder, then navigate to it in Windows
    Explorer. Close Outlook Express, then find the Outbox.dbx file in the right
    hand pane, right click on it and select 'Delete'. Then restart Outlook
    Express - you should have a new Outbox folder with nothing in it.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "jomamawinn" <jomamawinn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do I delete an outgoing e-mail from outlook express outbox. When I
    > open
    > outlook outbox the program ends up not responding. I can hear the computer
    > running, everything slows up and I have to keep trying to close the
    > program.
    > I can't seem to get the file highlighted - it just starts to process right
    > away.

    Thank you for your help - this took care of my problem.

    Jomama

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Sounds as though the Outbox folder may have become corrupted somehow. In
    > Outlook Express go to Tools>Options>Maintenance and then click on 'Store
    > Folder'. Make a note of that folder, then navigate to it in Windows
    > Explorer. Close Outlook Express, then find the Outbox.dbx file in the right
    > hand pane, right click on it and select 'Delete'. Then restart Outlook
    > Express - you should have a new Outbox folder with nothing in it.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "jomamawinn" <jomamawinn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How do I delete an outgoing e-mail from outlook express outbox. When I
    > > open
    > > outlook outbox the program ends up not responding. I can hear the computer
    > > running, everything slows up and I have to keep trying to close the
    > > program.
    > > I can't seem to get the file highlighted - it just starts to process right
    > > away.

    You're welcome - glad your problem is sorted.

    --

    > Thank you for your help - this took care of my problem.
    >
    > Jomama
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Sounds as though the Outbox folder may have become corrupted somehow. In
    >> Outlook Express go to Tools>Options>Maintenance and then click on 'Store
    >> Folder'. Make a note of that folder, then navigate to it in Windows
    >> Explorer. Close Outlook Express, then find the Outbox.dbx file in the
    >> right
    >> hand pane, right click on it and select 'Delete'. Then restart Outlook
    >> Express - you should have a new Outbox folder with nothing in it.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "jomamawinn" <jomamawinn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How do I delete an outgoing e-mail from outlook express outbox. When I
    >> > open
    >> > outlook outbox the program ends up not responding. I can hear the
    >> > computer
    >> > running, everything slows up and I have to keep trying to close the
    >> > program.
    >> > I can't seem to get the file highlighted - it just starts to process
    >> > right
    >> > away.

  4. I've tried this recommended approach, located the file location but, when I go into Windows Explorer the file folder doesn't exist. The Maintenance clearly states the file location and, when I click on file properties for the offending email, it lists the same location. Windows Explorer doesn't show the file location, however, and a search of the harddrive for the Outbox.dbx returns no matches either. Any ideas?
  5. Trying to get rid of an email that does not go away from my outlook express. please help.
  6. Necro thread detected. Closing...

Windows XP