Each time that I start my computer, I have to click on an owner icon. I want
to get rid of that icon and just go directly to my desktop page and not have
to click on the owner icon.

Do not use control userpasswords2 to create accounts if you are using XP
Home!!!

[[You can also use turn on automatic logon without editing the registry in
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and in Microsoft Windows XP Professional
on a computer that is not joined to a domain. To do this, follow these
steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.

Note When users try to display help information in the User Accounts window
in Windows XP Home Edition, the help information is not displayed.
Additionally, users receive the following error message:

Cannot find the Drive:\Windows\System32\users.hlp Help file. Check to see
that the file exists on your hard disk drive. If it does not exist, you must
reinstall it.

3. Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer" check box, and then click Apply.
4. In the Automatically Log On window, type the password in the Password
box, and then retype the password in the Confirm Password box.
5. Click OK to close the Automatically Log On window, and then click OK to
close the User Accounts window. ]]

From...
How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:0A1FA202-94D8-4EF3-A3DF-9A2454F310AE@microsoft.com,
Gannon'sdad <Gannon'sdad@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Each time that I start my computer, I have to click on an owner icon. I
> want to get rid of that icon and just go directly to my desktop page and
> not have to click on the owner icon.

Hi

Download TweakUI from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx and
when installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go to
Logon>Autologon

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Gannon'sdad" <Gannon'sdad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Each time that I start my computer, I have to click on an owner icon. I
> want
> to get rid of that icon and just go directly to my desktop page and not
> have
> to click on the owner icon.

Ed

"Gannon'sdad" <Gannon'sdad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Each time that I start my computer, I have to click on an owner icon. I
> want
> to get rid of that icon and just go directly to my desktop page and not
> have
> to click on the owner icon.

It's been covered in the past- try the newsgroup archives if you don't get a
reply.

To Wesley Vogel,
I did not ask this question but wanted to by pass the sign in window also,
your suggestion worked perfectly. Thanks so much. Betty

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Do not use control userpasswords2 to create accounts if you are using XP
> Home!!!
>
> [[You can also use turn on automatic logon without editing the registry in
> Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition and in Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> on a computer that is not joined to a domain. To do this, follow these
> steps:
>
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. In the Open box, type control userpasswords2, and then click OK.
>
> Note When users try to display help information in the User Accounts window
> in Windows XP Home Edition, the help information is not displayed.
> Additionally, users receive the following error message:
>
> Cannot find the Drive:\Windows\System32\users.hlp Help file. Check to see
> that the file exists on your hard disk drive. If it does not exist, you must
> reinstall it.
>
> 3. Clear the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
> computer" check box, and then click Apply.
> 4. In the Automatically Log On window, type the password in the Password
> box, and then retype the password in the Confirm Password box.
> 5. Click OK to close the Automatically Log On window, and then click OK to
> close the User Accounts window. ]]
>
> From...
> How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231
>
> Do not use control userpasswords2 to create accounts if you are using XP
> Home!!!
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:0A1FA202-94D8-4EF3-A3DF-9A2454F310AE@microsoft.com,
> Gannon'sdad <Gannon'sdad@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Each time that I start my computer, I have to click on an owner icon. I
> > want to get rid of that icon and just go directly to my desktop page and
> > not have to click on the owner icon.

Betty,

Glad to hear it. Keep having fun. :)

--