Whenever I try to copy files over the LAN on a particular PC, I get the
message "Cannot copy xxx: The specified network name is no longer available"
after it is part way through copying.

I can download the same file from the Internet with no problem. (Acrobat
Reader, about 21 MB), so it can't be the Network card.

I am logged in as the Administrator, and have the drive mapped to the Adobe
setup folder on the server, using my usual logon to authenticate. Since I
am issuing this PC to someone else, I am avoiding logging on as myself.

What would cause the connection to drop on this machine and no other, and
only using the LAN, not the Internet?
It was just reformatted and WinXP Pro set up afresh for this new user.

Thanks,
Mich

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Whenever I try to copy files over the LAN on a particular PC,
> I get the
> message "Cannot copy xxx: The specified network name is no
> longer available"
> after it is part way through copying.
>
> I can download the same file from the Internet with no
> problem. (Acrobat
> Reader, about 21 MB), so it can't be the Network card.
>
> I am logged in as the Administrator, and have the drive mapped
> to the Adobe
> setup folder on the server, using my usual logon to
> authenticate. Since I
> am issuing this PC to someone else, I am avoiding logging on
> as myself.
>
> What would cause the connection to drop on this machine and no
> other, and
> only using the LAN, not the Internet?
> It was just reformatted and WinXP Pro set up afresh for this
> new user.
>
> Thanks,
> Mich

Have you tried using IP address insted of computer name.
Also, what OS is the other computer running, and are ither of them
runnign a firewall (even if just windows firewall, please say so)

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-copy-files-LAN-ftopict551476.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1747698

I have set this PC up like every other one on our LAN. It was reformatted
and everything reinstalled from scratch for the next user.
The other computer is our file server, where we keep our applications to
install on PCs. The server is running Windows Server 2000, and is protected
by the usual firewalls.
I don't use the IP address for any other of the PCs.
I have it mapped to P:
\\servername\programs

The problem is sporadic, i.e. it works for a while then stops. The breaks
only come when accessing other machines on the LAN, in particular in copying
files. I think a firewall issue would be constant.

Mich

"" wrote:
> I have set this PC up like every other one on our LAN. It was
> reformatted
> and everything reinstalled from scratch for the next user.
> The other computer is our file server, where we keep our
> applications to
> install on PCs. The server is running Windows Server 2000,
> and is protected
> by the usual firewalls.
> I don't use the IP address for any other of the PCs.
> I have it mapped to P:
> \servernameprograms
>
> The problem is sporadic, i.e. it works for a while then stops.
> The breaks
> only come when accessing other machines on the LAN, in
> particular in copying
> files. I think a firewall issue would be constant.
>
> Mich
>
> "Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > "" wrote:
> > > Whenever I try to copy files over the LAN on a particular
> PC,
> > > I get the
> > > message "Cannot copy xxx: The specified network name is no
> > > longer available"
> > > after it is part way through copying.
> > >
> > > I can download the same file from the Internet with no
> > > problem. (Acrobat
> > > Reader, about 21 MB), so it can't be the Network card.
> > >
> > > I am logged in as the Administrator, and have the drive
> mapped
> > > to the Adobe
> > > setup folder on the server, using my usual logon to
> > > authenticate. Since I
> > > am issuing this PC to someone else, I am avoiding logging
> on
> > > as myself.
> > >
> > > What would cause the connection to drop on this machine
> and no
> > > other, and
> > > only using the LAN, not the Internet?
> > > It was just reformatted and WinXP Pro set up afresh for
> this
> > > new user.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Mich
> >
> > Have you tried using IP address insted of computer name.
> > Also, what OS is the other computer running, and are ither
> of them
> > runnign a firewall (even if just windows firewall, please
> say so)
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-copy-files-LAN-ftopict551476.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1747698

In that case, i would guess it’s potentialy a hardware problem, most
likly with the network crad, try replacing it.