Question about lost phones.

Last response: in Network Providers
May 1, 2005 11:28:48 PM

I have a friend that lost their Rogers-locked phone last night and they
called Rogers who said that if someone found it and turned it in, it would
be returned to them. Fair enough.

That got me to wondering if someone finds the phone, what is to stop them
from buying a Rogers' SIM and using the phone themselves? Rogers must know
the ESN and presumably they wouldn't let someone other than the legitimate
owner use the phone, right? Further, if the person who finds the phone has
it unlocked they could use it with any provided who presumably would not
know the phone was lost (granted not in Canada now that Rogers bought Fido
but I'm still curious).

I've never dealt with Rogers but Fido always seemed kind of vague on the
whole issue. I asked them about lost phones once and was told their policy
was to just sell the customer a new phone. Gee, thanks. Have phones just
become commodity items? Seems odd given the price of some of the fancier
models.

--
Golan Klinger
Dark is the suede that mows like a harvest.

More about : question lost phones

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:11:49 AM

Well, they could stop the phone from using their network but it isn't in
their interest to do so. When I'm talking about "they", I'm referring to
both Rogers and Fido. When you call about a lost or stolen phone, they will
just cancel the SIM card in most cases. Anyone who has the phone will then
need a new SIM card to use the phone. This means that the cellphone company
gets money off of the stolen/lost phone (new subscriber) and chances are
that the person who lost his/her phone will buy a new phone with the same
company in order to keep his/her phone number. The result is that the
cellphone company makes money by doing nothing other than cancelling the
lost/stolen SIM card and keeping the cellphone in circulation to whoever has
it regardless of whether it is the original owner or the new owner.

"Golan Klinger" <no@sp.am> wrote in message
> I have a friend that lost their Rogers-locked phone last night and they
> called Rogers who said that if someone found it and turned it in, it would
> be returned to them. Fair enough.
>
> That got me to wondering if someone finds the phone, what is to stop them
> from buying a Rogers' SIM and using the phone themselves? Rogers must know
> the ESN and presumably they wouldn't let someone other than the legitimate
> owner use the phone, right? Further, if the person who finds the phone has
> it unlocked they could use it with any provided who presumably would not
> know the phone was lost (granted not in Canada now that Rogers bought Fido
> but I'm still curious).
>
> I've never dealt with Rogers but Fido always seemed kind of vague on the
> whole issue. I asked them about lost phones once and was told their policy
> was to just sell the customer a new phone. Gee, thanks. Have phones just
> become commodity items? Seems odd given the price of some of the fancier
> models.
>
> --
> Golan Klinger
> Dark is the suede that mows like a harvest.
May 2, 2005 4:37:36 AM

If you lose a phone, you can call your cell provider and tell them you lost
it. They can therefore ban the ESN. They therefore will not be able to use
the cell with any company, from what I've heard. The ESN essentially becomes
blacklisted.
"Golan Klinger" <no@sp.am> wrote in message
>I have a friend that lost their Rogers-locked phone last night and they
> called Rogers who said that if someone found it and turned it in, it would
> be returned to them. Fair enough.
>
> That got me to wondering if someone finds the phone, what is to stop them
> from buying a Rogers' SIM and using the phone themselves? Rogers must know
> the ESN and presumably they wouldn't let someone other than the legitimate
> owner use the phone, right? Further, if the person who finds the phone has
> it unlocked they could use it with any provided who presumably would not
> know the phone was lost (granted not in Canada now that Rogers bought Fido
> but I'm still curious).
>
> I've never dealt with Rogers but Fido always seemed kind of vague on the
> whole issue. I asked them about lost phones once and was told their policy
> was to just sell the customer a new phone. Gee, thanks. Have phones just
> become commodity items? Seems odd given the price of some of the fancier
> models.
>
> --
> Golan Klinger
> Dark is the suede that mows like a harvest.
May 2, 2005 11:53:16 PM

unless you get an unlocking cable, and change the IMEI #....

"Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> If you lose a phone, you can call your cell provider and tell them you
> lost it. They can therefore ban the ESN. They therefore will not be able
> to use the cell with any company, from what I've heard. The ESN
> essentially becomes blacklisted.
> "Golan Klinger" <no@sp.am> wrote in message
>>I have a friend that lost their Rogers-locked phone last night and they
>> called Rogers who said that if someone found it and turned it in, it
>> would
>> be returned to them. Fair enough.
>>
>> That got me to wondering if someone finds the phone, what is to stop them
>> from buying a Rogers' SIM and using the phone themselves? Rogers must
>> know
>> the ESN and presumably they wouldn't let someone other than the
>> legitimate
>> owner use the phone, right? Further, if the person who finds the phone
>> has
>> it unlocked they could use it with any provided who presumably would not
>> know the phone was lost (granted not in Canada now that Rogers bought
>> Fido
>> but I'm still curious).
>>
>> I've never dealt with Rogers but Fido always seemed kind of vague on the
>> whole issue. I asked them about lost phones once and was told their
>> policy
>> was to just sell the customer a new phone. Gee, thanks. Have phones just
>> become commodity items? Seems odd given the price of some of the fancier
>> models.
>>
>> --
>> Golan Klinger
>> Dark is the suede that mows like a harvest.

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 5:52:28 AM

Harry Eugene Ly wrote:

> Well, they could stop the phone from using their network but it isn't in
> their interest to do so. When I'm talking about "they", I'm referring to
> both Rogers and Fido. When you call about a lost or stolen phone, they will
> just cancel the SIM card in most cases.

Unless this has changed in the last few years, Fido would blaclist your
IMEI, and spot any activation of that IMEI on its network with ANY sim
card and route calls to the lost/stolen phone handlers. I had been told
that there was some sharing of stomen IMEIs between north american
networks, but not sure to what extent this was done.
!