Anyone have knowledge in using Linksys WCG200 Wireless-G C..

I would like to "create" a home network, and linksys seems to have a "new"
product that fills the bill.
Wireless -G Cable Gateway.

Has anyone implemented a wireless LAN with this device?

also, what is the difference between linksys WUSB54GP and WUSB54G and I hope
your answer isn't $20.

thanks for any info.
3 answers Last reply
More about anyone knowledge linksys wcg200 wireless

    You sure you want the cable gateway ? includes the cable modem which you
    need to ensure is compatible with your provider...
    obvious diff between the GP and the G is the physical appearance - the gp is
    kinda modern looking, i guess emphasizing the portable - but the specs read
    identical.

    "NoName" <noname@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > I would like to "create" a home network, and linksys seems to have a "new"
    > product that fills the bill.
    > Wireless -G Cable Gateway.
    >
    > Has anyone implemented a wireless LAN with this device?
    >
    > also, what is the difference between linksys WUSB54GP and WUSB54G and I
    hope
    > your answer isn't $20.
    >
    > thanks for any info.

    Yes, I would have to ensure that the cable "modem" is compatible with
    comcast cable (our provider). Sure would be nice if the cable
    gateway/modem
    were "standard". Your reply indicates they aren't?

    It would be nice to simply exchange the current cable "gateway" with the
    linksys, and not have another little box taking up space on the desktop.
    Otherwise the 802.11G wireless broadband router would be fine.

    The "wusb54gp" seems to be a bit more modern looking, and has less
    "footprint" the the gp. I would assume they BOTH are very similar, can be
    placed within reach of the PC via usb cable.

    Any Linksys owners out there???

    > Yes, I would have to ensure that the cable "modem" is compatible with
    > comcast cable (our provider). Sure would be nice if the cable
    > gateway/modem
    > were "standard". Your reply indicates they aren't?
    >
    > It would be nice to simply exchange the current cable "gateway" with
    > the linksys, and not have another little box taking up space on the
    > desktop. Otherwise the 802.11G wireless broadband router would be
    > fine.
    >
    > The "wusb54gp" seems to be a bit more modern looking, and has less
    > "footprint" the the gp. I would assume they BOTH are very similar,
    > can be placed within reach of the PC via usb cable.
    >
    > Any Linksys owners out there???

    I'd say the same thing. There is no data sheet for the GP unit but I'm
    guessing it's just a different antenna design that allows you to point it a
    bit better. That's my impression anyways.

    I'm looking at something like the wireless game adapters, which will let
    you hook up any PC with ethernet and not have to install drivers... in
    theory anyways. They cost a bit more though.

    As far as the cable modem / gateway product goes, I'm guessing he means the
    BEFCMU10. This is supposed to work on any DOCSIS cable modem network.
    Many of the newer cable ISP rollouts are DOCSIS, but some of the older ones
    are still using proprietary, incompatible cable modem systems.

    If you really need to save the space, you could go with any number of
    similar devices which offer DOCSSIS cable modem and wireless gateway in the
    same box. Motorola makes one too I know. On the other hand, if you would
    like the option to switch ISPs, either because you are moving or because
    you want to switch to another ISP, maybe DSL, satelite, or wireless, then
    it makes sense just to get a standalone wireless router / gateway that you
    can use on any system, and leave the cable modem part with your ISP.

Wireless Linksys Wireless Networking