Restoring a "do not ask me again" pop up box

In outlook express, i had a pop up box that asked me about compacting
messages. i put a check in the box that said "do not ask me this
again"....I want to get this box back now, can someone help me? I
don’t want outlook express to automatically compact the messages, but
since i checked that box to not ask me again, it is going to
automatically compact the messages. I just need that box back, and
would appreciate the help....thanks!

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Restoring-quot-quot-pop-box-ftopict551296.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1746611
7 answers Last reply
More about restoring again

    This solution is not elegant, but it should work. Providing you are
    comfortable using Regedit.

    1) Go to Start > Run and type
    Regedit
    click OK

    2) Select Edit > Find and enter the following in the box labeled "Find
    what:".
    Dont Show Dialogs
    Notice that "Don't" is *not* spelled with an apostrophe.
    Click "Find Next"

    After each 'find' keep pressing the F3 key (to Find Next) until you see the
    following:
    Compact Do not Ask Again

    Double-click on "Compact Do not Ask Again" and change the value to 0 (zero).

    Now exit Regedit and you should be good to go.

    --
    Michael

    "CAM" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > In outlook express, i had a pop up box that asked me about compacting
    > messages. i put a check in the box that said "do not ask me this
    > again"....I want to get this box back now, can someone help me? I
    > don't want outlook express to automatically compact the messages, but
    > since i checked that box to not ask me again, it is going to
    > automatically compact the messages. I just need that box back, and
    > would appreciate the help....thanks!

    Turn off Compact messages in the background...

    OE | Tools| Options| Maintenance | UNCheck: Compact messages in the
    background | Apply | OK
    ---

    OE Compact All Folders

    OE doesn't remove deleted messages, it only flags them to be removed at
    a later time. The items are not removed until the folders with deleted
    items are compacted. You need to compact all your OE folders regularly.
    This saves disk space and speeds up OE. Avoid using Compact messages in
    the background as this can lead to problems. This only compacts
    newsgroup folders anyway.

    Open Outlook Express.
    To make sure you aren't receiving any mail, so your Inbox or any other
    folders aren't active; Work Offline.
    File | Work Offline (Or hit Alt + F + W).
    To make sure no folders are open, highlight Outlook Express in the
    Folders pane .
    File | Folder | Compact All Folders (Or hit Alt + F + F + F) .
    Don't do anything until your hard drive has quit thrashing.
    Don't forget; File | UNCheck: Work Offline (Or hit Alt + F + W).

    [[You MUST use File | Folder | Compact All Folders to avoid store
    corruption. No other compaction method will compact the critical
    index file, "folders.dbx". ]]

    Tom Koch, MVP for IE/Outlook Express
    http://www.insideOE.com/

    Compact Your OE Folders
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

    [[Folders.dbx is the master index of an OE store folder and is required
    for OE to run.]]
    How OE stores files on your hard disk
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/store.htm#storemain

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:3_1746611_662f2d390b79aa2547fc5e680ddaa355@windowsforumz.com,
    CAM <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> hunted and pecked:

    > Turn off Compact messages in the background...
    >
    > OE | Tools| Options| Maintenance | UNCheck: Compact messages in the
    > background | Apply | OK
    > ---

    Not sure if the poster has Service Pack 2 installed, but if so then it is my
    understanding that SP2 no longer has the background compaction function.
    Instead it will do the compact every 100th time you close OE.

    You are correct.

    [[It is largely for this reason that the background compaction feature has
    been removed in Windows XP SP2. Now Outlook Express will compact
    automatically only after you have opened and closed Outlook Express 100
    times. It will do so not in the background, when you might be busy doing
    other things on the computer, but rather when you close Outlook Express for
    that 100th time. Do not cancel this compaction, nor use your computer until
    it is finished. For best results however, you should still compact all
    folders on a regular basis, such as weekly or bi-weekly.]]
    The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express
    By Tom Koch
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:hWKwe.1524$0V3.316@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com,
    Michael T <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> hunted and pecked:

    "" wrote:
    > > Turn off Compact messages in the background...
    > >
    > > OE | Tools| Options| Maintenance | UNCheck: Compact messages
    > in the
    > > background | Apply | OK
    > > ---
    > >

    > Not sure if the poster has Service Pack 2 installed, but if so
    > then it is my
    > understanding that SP2 no longer has the background compaction
    > function.
    > Instead it will do the compact every 100th time you close OE.

    Thanks Michael.....I posted this question elsewhere, and the reply I
    got was this:

    Go to: Start>Run>Regedit>Enter and follow this path:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
    Express\5.0\Don’t Show Dialogs.

    In the right pane right click on the appropriate entry and choose
    Delete.

    So How can I be sure which advice to follow? I don’t want to mess up
    anything in the registry and cause problems. Any advice from you, or
    anyone else?

    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1748211

    > Thanks Michael.....I posted this question elsewhere, and the reply I
    > got was this:
    >

    > Go to: Start>Run>Regedit>Enter and follow this path:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
    > Express\5.0\Don't Show Dialogs.
    >
    > In the right pane right click on the appropriate entry and choose
    > Delete.

    My research suggests this is not the correct registry entry to find "Compact
    Do not Ask Again".

    For example, on my PC the Registry entry is at:

    [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-547030849-2198228034-339556658-1007\Identities\{8D32DF8B-D3B8-4783-A0C5-FE37E2FC8659}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
    Express\5.0\Dont Show Dialogs]
    "Compact Do not Ask Again"=dword:00000000

    So I still suggest you follow the directions from my original post. I.E.,
    search for
    Compact Do not Ask Again

    Then change the value to zero.

    Michael,

    Any changes made in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive will also be made in the
    corresponding keys in HKEY_USERS\Security ID (SID) of current user subkey.
    And vice versa.
    ---

    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-547030849-2198228034-339556658-1007\Identities\{8D32DF8
    B-D3B8-4783-A0C5-FE37E2FC8659}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0
    Dont Show Dialogs

    Is the same as

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{8D32DF8B-D3B8-4783-A0C5-FE37E2FC8659}\
    Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0
    Dont Show Dialogs

    with S-1-5-21-547030849-2198228034-339556658-1007 (you) logged on.

    Check it yourself. Make a change in one and you'll see it in the other.
    And vice versa.
    -----

    The HKEY_CURRENT_USER subtree contains the user profile for the user who is
    currently logged on to the computer.

    The information in HKEY_CURRENT_USER is built from the HKEY_USERS key during
    the logon process. Therefore, all information found in the
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER key is a copy of the subkey HKEY_USERS\username, where
    username is the name of the active user (or Default).

    The HKEY_CURRENT_USER subtree does not contain any data. It just stores a
    pointer to the content of the HKEY_USERS\Security ID (SID) of current user
    subkey. Therefore, the content of that subkey also appears in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and it can be viewed and changed in either location. The
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER subtree just provides easier access to the data.

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER Contains the user profile for the user who is currently
    logged on interactively (as opposed to remotely), including environment
    variables, desktop settings, network connections, printers, and program
    preferences. This subtree is an alias of the HKEY_USERS subtree and points
    to HKEY_USERS\security ID of current user.

    The HKEY_USERS subtree contains all actively loaded user profiles.
    HKEY_USERS has at least three keys:

    • .DEFAULT

    • A subkey named for the Security Identifier (SID) of the current local
    user. This subkey contains the current user's profile. The data in
    HKEY_USERS\SID also appears in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

    • A subkey named for the Security Identifier (SID) of the current local
    user with the _Classes suffix. This subkey contains the current user's
    Classes. The data in HKEY_USERS\SID\_Classes is also contained in
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

    Reference:

    About the Windows Registry
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/deployguide/en-us/RegTopics.asp

    Description of HKEY_CURRENT_USER Registry Subkeys
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310595

    Registry overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/sag_ntregconcepts_yynh.asp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:j6Bxe.2841$0V3.498@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com,
    Michael T <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> hunted and pecked:
    > "CAM" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thanks Michael.....I posted this question elsewhere, and the reply I
    >> got was this:
    >>

    >> Go to: Start>Run>Regedit>Enter and follow this path:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
    >> Express\5.0\Don't Show Dialogs.
    >>
    >> In the right pane right click on the appropriate entry and choose
    >> Delete.
    >>

    > My research suggests this is not the correct registry entry to find
    > "Compact Do not Ask Again".
    >
    > For example, on my PC the Registry entry is at:

    [HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-547030849-2198228034-339556658-1007\Identities\{8D32DF8
    B-D3B8-4783-A0C5-FE37E2FC8659}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
    > Express\5.0\Dont Show Dialogs]
    > "Compact Do not Ask Again"=dword:00000000
    >
    > So I still suggest you follow the directions from my original post. I.E.,
    > search for
    > Compact Do not Ask Again
    >
    > Then change the value to zero.

Outlook Express Support Microsoft Windows XP