Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was wondering, I know I am certainly going to save my bucks for the GF2 ultra but my friend doesn't have the heart to pay 200$ or more on a graphics card. So he is considering TNT or Voodoo3. He doesn't have any old games for the glide so it's only d3d he's after. Which one stinks more? voodoo3 (2000 is too old/3000 /3500 is i guess a little more expensive for him) or tnt(2 or 2 ultra)? Well, he wants to put either one of them on a 1GHz Athlon. doesn't fit huh?

G

TNT2 ultra is the best out of those cards. And you can probably get one for around $60.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can pick up an Elsa GeForce DDR for around $140. Check out www.pricewatch.com . Search for a good price. Definately go with an NVIDIA product. If you plan to play any games with his system, get a NVIDIA, cause Voodoo's tend to be choppy and grainy. I can vouch from experience.

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for replying. I'm not from the states so it's kind of twice as expensive here. The geforce is too expensive for him. That's why he's only settling for those.

G

Hey,

Go with the TNT2, it still keeps with the new Voodoo 4. The performance and price is great. Tom has some benchmarks lying around somewhere look for them. Although here's the incentive for saving for that GF2 Ultra, by the time your saved up they'll have a card for the same price thats better so you'll get an even better card. =)

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

G

The Voodoo definately stinks more. Crappy graphics with only 16bit color and small textures. I would however seriously consider a Geforce 2 MX. At least here in Norway you can get them at just a tiny premium over the TNT2 Ultra and the Voodoo 3 3000. Don't even think about the TNT2 M64 or the Vanta.
2 extra hours at work and the card is yours.

Boy am I full of it - in every respect.

G

on pricewatch you can get a real geforce2 32 meg for the price of the asus mx. no contest in benchmarks.
the voodoo 3 2000 runs at 143mghz,the 3000 at 166 and can be overclocked.
the voodoo puts on less cpu load but with a high end athlon it shouldn't matter much. the voodoo is more compatible with legacy software but you said you won't be doing much of that. the tnt2 has an edge in 32bit color and price.
no vanta or m64. if your going to spend more than $70 i recomend saving a little more for geforce2 or mx price is dropping quickly. for the price difference in geforce 2 and mx i'd go geforce2. waiting on the price to drop a little myself.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
According to WWW.STREETPRICES.COM your friend can find a Geforce 2 MX for $96, (assuming you are in the USA and he/she doesn't need TV output). I, myself picked up a used, Geforce256 SDR for $105 a couple of months ago and was happy with the card but disappointed to learn that two weeks later I could get a Geforce 2 MX for about the same price.

If your friend is only going to use 1024X768 resolution or lower he/she probably won't notice any difference between the TNT2 Ultra or any of the Geforce cards but if higher resolution is desired I would go with the Geforce 2 MX or better.

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for replying, I finally talked him into getting a Geforce 2 MX. It's about 160$ but it's way better than the tnt2 or voodoo3.

G

Hey,

Not a bad price, but like stated above there is a model for about 96 bucks. With that extra 64 bucks you can grab 64 more mb of ram.

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

carpcmelee

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
this is a post from 2000. if in 2000 they had 7800gtx's, then today we would be playing oblivion part 3 at ultra high everything on top in a virtual reality helmet.