Hasse

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Howsa! I've just preordered the Gainward Cardexpert Geforce 2 Ultra /500. And I've been trying to get some feedback on how fast that card really is. I've also been trying to find some info on the new 3Dfx Voodoo5 6000 on the net, but everything I find is inconclusive. Still I would like to get some knowledge whether the card I bought is any good. The fella that sold the card said it was overclockable to way beyond 500mhz (that being ddr ram it shoud read 250mhz)... Besides the last card from Nvidia I bought was a TNT card, so I'm pretty eager to see what I can get outa the new card. Besides, I'm going to order a 1200 t-bird when they arrive.. Wondered about the DDR system, but the ram prices here in Norway is now currently about as high as Rambus mem, so I discarded that thought.. sad tho.. Thanx in advance..

G

It's basically the fastest consumer video card out there. Nothing can compare.

The V56000 will retail at $600, and I'm not sure exactly how fast it will be.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The GeForce 2 Ultra will top any Voodoo card. Heck my Elsa Geforce DDR. Voodoo's tend to have problems anyhow. I am a hard-core Half-Life player and i bought a Voodoo 3500. BIG MISTAKE. The graphics were choppy and very grainy. I returned it and bout a GeForce. I vow to never buy a Voodoo Product again. OpenGL is better than 3DFX anyways. DDR systems are not due out till late this year...early next year. RAMBUS is old news. 1% performance increase...i'll stick to my PC133. DDR is perdicted to yield a 5-10% performance increase. Personally i am not going to waste my money on it until atleast DDR-266 comes out.

ADSLfreak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A friend of mine has the 3D Prophet 2Ultra card and he is more than satisfied. I have seen it myself and I find it damn fast! Go buy it.
I don't know how fast the Voodoo5 6000 is gonna be but even if it is twice as fast as the Voodoo5 5500 (which is unlikely to be) it still is too slow compared to an Ultra. What I have noticed though and I think it is very important is the fact that my card costs now (six months after I bought it) exactly the same money as then. So, the money you give are worth it. Finally I don't know how fast Voodoo5 6000 is gonna be but 3dFx is not to be trusted. Voodoo5s were announced months before the GF2 while were launched along with it. 3dfx hasn't announced a new chipset while Nvidia has (NV20). Anyway, what I want to point out is that 3dfx at that time is way behind the competition and it's future as a company is uncertain. Many say that Nvidia will buy 3dfx... Who knows...

Athlon950
AsusK7V
128MB PC133SDRAM
2xIBMGXP 45GB HotRod100 Raid0
Geforce2GTS

G

I own 3 PC's with Voodoo cards and one with the GE Force 2 GTS card. Is the Nvidia card faster, yes. Noticably? Not by much, really. No one else but 3Dfx has the full screen antialiasing feature that is the most important feature in a graphics card right now in my opinion. It is almost so important that Nvidia cards can't even be considered fully modern until they implement it.

Of course, 3Dfx is having a difficult time keeping up with Nvidia, but who isn't? Nvidia has done some nice engineering work in the last year, but would you really like to see 3Dfx go out of business or be bought out by Nvidia? I wouldn't.

It's the competition that makes for excellent products at a low price. If it weren't for the competition, we'd all be using Intel graphics chips. Wouldn't that be fun? ;-)

G

Look at Pricewatch V5 5500 is around 250-200. Makes sense for V5 6000 to come out at 350 - 400. As for performance no one knows. But running 4X FSAA OGSS at 1280 with 32bit color's gonna be real pretty :) How much "Prettier" is the gf2 ultra compared to the gf2 gts?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The BestBuy flyer in the local (Boston) Sunday paper features 2 MicronPC computers touting 200 Mhz DDR memory. Doubter that I am, I checked www.micronpc.com and sure enough there are 1.0 and 1.2 Ghz, Athlon machines available with DDR memory (200 Mhz not 266 Mhz, yet). Base price is $1959 for a modestly equipped machine.

G

The GeFore 2 DOES have full scene anti-aliasing
doen't it? at least in OpenGL the option exists...
(detanator 3 drivers)

G

Hey,

I love competition, and if this is true, pardon my expression. I'm going to cream my pants.

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

G

Actually I think it's only the OpenGL DRIVERS
that offer full-scene anti-aliasing. I'm not sure,
but i don't think my GeForce 2 GTS is capable of
HARDWARE anti-aliasing--Right?

G

Throw out any idea about the Voodo5 6000. 3dfx at first said that they planned to have this card out by about March of 2000. They said it would retail at $600. Now, if it had been released on time it would have been very powerful and the most advanced graphic card on the market. However, it has been around eight months after the card was supposed to debut and it has the exact same specs that it had before. This just means that the Voodo5 6000 will just be a over-priced and under-performing card. Stick with Nvidia.

G

I have an OEM 64mb GeForce 2 Ultra. Great card. As for performance the only thing I can offer is this, how it performs in the halflife mod counter-strike, my system is as follows:

P3 1Ghz
256MB PC133 Ram
and the geforce 2 ultra card

With CS at it highest resolution (1280x960) in openGL with medium FSAA on I get 70FPS at the low end and usually am at the 100FPS limit (dunno why but it won't let me go faster)

And yes the GF2U supports FSAA, there are options you can play with in control panel with regard to the level of AA.

I think you will be extremely happy with the card, I upgraded from a 64MB GF2 GTS, and can notice a little difference in speed, just make sure that you get the newest Detonator drivers as those add mucho performance to the card.

jajig

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I upgraded to a GeForce 2 from a 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee and although the speed increase was amazing for 3d games the display was very blurry. If you need to read text on your computer alot 3Dfx is the way to go.

jajig

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Lolers. Is this a joke? I'm sure (I hope) current Intel graphics... at least are on par with GeForce 2 standards.

The Geforce 2 was dead fast check spec here against a Geforce 6 6200 here I don't know where any specs are for old i740 or i752 but they were pretty slow from memory.