ATI-AIW RADEON

G

Just built new system. Asus A7V, AMD T-Bird 900, ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon, Micron 128 meg pc 133 cas 2 mem, Windows 98 Plus using MS preinstall disk. I've flashed the bios to 1004c and all the drivers from Via and Asus. My screen continually locks. During reboot Windows hangs. I think its the video drivers but yet to here from ATI. Anyone else experiencing same? Any ideas?

G

If it's hanging during the boot process it shouldn't be drivers. Maybe try booting into safe mode, and then you'd be able to tell if that's what it is. I'd say make sure your processor, ide cables, and all of your cards are firmly seated. Hope that helps...

G

I have a similar system configuration and am experiencing some of the same problems. Sometimes when I boot up, when the windows backgroud shows but none of the icons have appeared yet, my computer freezes. I do notice a crooked, odd colored line running accross the top of my screen. Any way, I am then forced to manually reboot my system. It seems that this happens to me less often the less stuff I have in my system tray.
----------------------
System Specs:
Asus A7V
T-Bird 750
Radeon AIW
Corsair 128mb pc133 ram
Sound Blaster Live! Platinum
LinkSYS network card
Diamond Supressia 56k Modem

G

Well, I have an AMD ThunderBird 800 with an Asus A7V and the Diamond Viper II card.

Every two boots to Windows 98, my PC hangs before seeing icons or taskbar on my desktop (just like CyberGragg). I reboot and everything goes fine. I wonder why this happens. It's very stupid.

----------------
Kurt Hectic
The Topic Poster
----------------

G

I doubt that its ATI's driver- my system does not hang at all-
Specs
Tbird 800
256 pc133
AIW Radeon
Tyan Trinity S2390 MB

G

One of three things things happened:

1. ATi driver install program failed to correctly install program (most likely)
2. Board does not like AGP settings
3. Need to reinstall DirectX

Fixes:

1. Goto safe mode, open device manager. Delete any display drivers and reboot.
2. If above does not work, goto bios and disable agp 4x and fast writes and reboot
3. If this does not fix it, goto safe mode and rename AIW as "PCI Graphics Adapter (vga)" reboot, goto windows update and reinstall DX.

You may also have to reinstall the VIA 4-in-1 drivers (use version 4.24a, do not use 4.25 they are beta) if you installed the ATi GART drivers (they are buggy).