chumblywarner

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
I had XP installed yesterday. Prior to that I had ME. My ping rate in online games was aprrox 50, now its about 100 to 130. Not a huge prob I know but considering the only thing that has changed is my os does anyone know if Xp would affect my ping rates?

Thanks

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
ME will give you a slight edge when it comes to gaming. XP is a little slower, but I think it is more stable than ME. I had ME and it crashed 6 times in 1 year, then I upgraded to XP Pro, and have had no problems. Tom's had an article saying that XP was a little worse when it came to gaming than ME, but just a frame or two less a second. It seems like XP seems to run a lot slower than ME on your computer. What is the specs of your comp?

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
or it could also be the video card. too slow?

<font color=green>If your nose <b>RUNS</b>, and feet <b>SMELLS</b>.
Then you must be born <b>UP-SIDE DOWN</b>.</font color=green>

If anything, your ping rates should be better under XP, since it's networking is more efficient that 95/98/ME. Try seeing if there are newer drivers for your NIC.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

sturm

Splendid
you also can try turning off auto updates. reduce bandwith use. You can also go thru and disable any unneccesary services that are running to free up resources.