Folder Details/Attributes -- Impossible to change?

Hi all,

my favorite artist, Joao Gilberto, has a career that spans over 55
years of activity. After acquiring most of his albums and ripping them
to my PC, I thought it would be nice to view such albums in Windows
Explorer organized by the release year.

I thought it could be easily accomplished by changing one of the folder
attributes (or properties, or details, I'm not sure what the
technically correct name is). Each album is contained into one folder.

However, even thought XP allows me to sort the albums by the 'Year'
attribute, it apparently provides no means of changing this value. All
albums appear under the header 'Unspecified'.

To summarize:
- inside 'My Music' folder, I have a 'Joao Gilberto' folder,
with a template of 'Music Artist';
- inside this 'Joao Gilberto' folder, I have several albums with
the 'Music Album' template;
- Windows XP allows me to arrange these folders by their 'Year'
property, but provides no means of changing this value. This way, all
folders appear under the 'Unspecified' header and the albums remain
unsorted.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

Thank you,

Ricardo Jasinski.

Year [[Displays the year in which the media file was released.]]

[[When you arrange icons by Year, music files are grouped by year. Files
that do not have year information are grouped under the heading of
Unspecified.]]

See...
Group Files by Using Folder Views
here...
How To Arrange Files Using Folder Views in Windows XP
;306554]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];306554

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1120078674.752836.258850@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
Ricardo Jasinski <jasinski@onda.com.br> hunted and pecked:
> Hi all,
>
> my favorite artist, Joao Gilberto, has a career that spans over 55
> years of activity. After acquiring most of his albums and ripping them
> to my PC, I thought it would be nice to view such albums in Windows
> Explorer organized by the release year.
>
> I thought it could be easily accomplished by changing one of the folder
> attributes (or properties, or details, I'm not sure what the
> technically correct name is). Each album is contained into one folder.
>
> However, even thought XP allows me to sort the albums by the 'Year'
> attribute, it apparently provides no means of changing this value. All
> albums appear under the header 'Unspecified'.
>
> To summarize:
> - inside 'My Music' folder, I have a 'Joao Gilberto' folder,
> with a template of 'Music Artist';
> - inside this 'Joao Gilberto' folder, I have several albums with
> the 'Music Album' template;
> - Windows XP allows me to arrange these folders by their 'Year'
> property, but provides no means of changing this value. This way, all
> folders appear under the 'Unspecified' header and the albums remain
> unsorted.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ricardo Jasinski.

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> my favorite artist, Joao Gilberto, has a career that spans
> over 55
> years of activity. After acquiring most of his albums and
> ripping them
> to my PC, I thought it would be nice to view such albums in
> Windows
> Explorer organized by the release year.
>
> I thought it could be easily accomplished by changing one of
> the folder
> attributes (or properties, or details, I'm not sure what the
> technically correct name is). Each album is contained into one
> folder.
>
> However, even thought XP allows me to sort the albums by the
> 'Year'
> attribute, it apparently provides no means of changing this
> value. All
> albums appear under the header 'Unspecified'.
>
> To summarize:
> - inside 'My Music' folder, I have a 'Joao Gilberto' folder,
> with a template of 'Music Artist';
> - inside this 'Joao Gilberto' folder, I have several albums
> with
> the 'Music Album' template;
> - Windows XP allows me to arrange these folders by their
> 'Year'
> property, but provides no means of changing this value. This
> way, all
> folders appear under the 'Unspecified' header and the albums
> remain
> unsorted.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ricardo Jasinski.

If my memory serves me well, it is imposible to change the year of a
directory, it is only posible to change the "years" varible on
files, but only the files that windows considers as a music or video
file. When chaning the year you must look for the "summary" tab in
the file properties and clicked the advanced button.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Folder-Details-Attributes-Impossible-change-ftopict551558.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1747697

Hi Wesley,

thanks for the hint. It works with the files (individual songs) within
an album; now I can see the songs organized by year. What I can't do
(and seems to be impossible) is to organize the albums (folders) by
year. These are always under the 'Unspecified' header.

Thanks again,

Ricardo.

Wesley Vogel escreveu:
> Year [[Displays the year in which the media file was released.]]
>
> [[When you arrange icons by Year, music files are grouped by year. Files
> that do not have year information are grouped under the heading of
> Unspecified.]]
>
> See...
> Group Files by Using Folder Views
> here...
> How To Arrange Files Using Folder Views in Windows XP
> ;306554]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];306554
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:1120078674.752836.258850@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
> Ricardo Jasinski <jasinski@onda.com.br> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > my favorite artist, Joao Gilberto, has a career that spans over 55
> > years of activity. After acquiring most of his albums and ripping them
> > to my PC, I thought it would be nice to view such albums in Windows
> > Explorer organized by the release year.
> >
> > I thought it could be easily accomplished by changing one of the folder
> > attributes (or properties, or details, I'm not sure what the
> > technically correct name is). Each album is contained into one folder.
> >
> > However, even thought XP allows me to sort the albums by the 'Year'
> > attribute, it apparently provides no means of changing this value. All
> > albums appear under the header 'Unspecified'.
> >
> > To summarize:
> > - inside 'My Music' folder, I have a 'Joao Gilberto' folder,
> > with a template of 'Music Artist';
> > - inside this 'Joao Gilberto' folder, I have several albums with
> > the 'Music Album' template;
> > - Windows XP allows me to arrange these folders by their 'Year'
> > property, but provides no means of changing this value. This way, all
> > folders appear under the 'Unspecified' header and the albums remain
> > unsorted.
> >
> > Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Ricardo Jasinski.

Hi Sparda,

thanks for the hint. It really works for the songs, but it seems to be
impossible to do the same for the albums (see next answer).

Thanks anyway!

Ricardo.