Downloaded files have disappeared from partition after sys..

Hello,

I have a friend that recently did a System Restore and files that were
stored on a partition other than where Windows is installed are now gone! I
was under ther understanding that System Restore only effected the system
drive and not other partitions.

Is this not correct?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff

System Restore doesn't monitor data files. So any files that have been
downloaded/saved should still be where they were. Have you tried searching
for them by extension?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a friend that recently did a System Restore and files that were
> stored on a partition other than where Windows is installed are now gone!
> was under ther understanding that System Restore only effected the system
> drive and not other partitions.
>
> Is this not correct?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hi Jeff
>
> System Restore doesn't monitor data files. So any files that
> have been
> downloaded/saved should still be where they were. Have you
> tried searching
> for them by extension?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a friend that recently did a System Restore and files
> that were
> > stored on a partition other than where Windows is installed
> are now gone!
> > was under ther understanding that System Restore only
> effected the system
> > drive and not other partitions.
> >
> > Is this not correct?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jeff

Actualy when you make a restore point, it makes a list of all the
directorys on the HD’s that have system restore monitoring switched on
(by default all HD’s), but it only lists and saves files that are
considered as important and makes backups of them, basicly executable
fiels (exe) dynamic link librays (DLL) .sys and a varaity of other
files wiht "important" file extensions. so when restoring a restore
point, it gose thought each directory and compares the actual content
with the list that it has (including file size) so any files with an
"important" file extension that arnt on the list get deleted and any
"important" files with a diffrent size get replaced with the back up
it made.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Downloaded-files-disappeared-partition-system-restore-ftopict551559.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1747696

"Sparda" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "" wrote:
> > Hi Jeff
> >
> > System Restore doesn't monitor data files. So any files that
> > have been
> > downloaded/saved should still be where they were. Have you
> > tried searching
> > for them by extension?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Will Denny
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > Please reply to the News Groups
> >

> > "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have a friend that recently did a System Restore and files
> > that were
> > > stored on a partition other than where Windows is installed
> > are now gone!
> > > was under ther understanding that System Restore only
> > effected the system
> > > drive and not other partitions.
> > >
> > > Is this not correct?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jeff
> > >

> Actualy when you make a restore point, it makes a list of all the
> directorys on the HD's that have system restore monitoring switched on
> (by default all HD's), but it only lists and saves files that are
> considered as important and makes backups of them, basicly executable
> fiels (exe) dynamic link librays (DLL) .sys and a varaity of other
> files wiht "important" file extensions. so when restoring a restore
> point, it gose thought each directory and compares the actual content
> with the list that it has (including file size) so any files with an
> "important" file extension that arnt on the list get deleted and any
> "important" files with a diffrent size get replaced with the back up
> it made.

Hi

You can see which files SR monitors/doesn't monitor in this file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\filelist.xml