please please help me

i got my new dell pc a few weeks ago, and have since connected to the internet.
i keep getting pop ups from various different sites offering me stupid deal
or another, and this is where i believe my problem lies.
my start up is very slow and programmes keep crashing on me at the most
crucial of times. also, another very annoying factor is that i cant seem to
get pinball to load, no matter which way i try to get into it. im not very pc
wise when it comes to the technical side of things. so would really
appreciate some advice on how to get rid of any viruses i may have picked up,
one of them i think is trojan horse, and another one, (which pops up every
day) is called ardware.
many thanks to anyone with step by step!!
Mrs T Smart
3 answers Last reply
More about please

    Your PC is probably infected with viruses/spyware/malware.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

    Install Avast! antivirus program (FREE)

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

    Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
    to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Mrs T Smart wrote:
    > i got my new dell pc a few weeks ago, and have since connected to the
    > internet. i keep getting pop ups from various different sites
    > offering me stupid deal
    > or another, and this is where i believe my problem lies.
    > my start up is very slow and programmes keep crashing on me at the
    > most crucial of times. also, another very annoying factor is that i
    > cant seem to get pinball to load, no matter which way i try to get
    > into it. im not very pc wise when it comes to the technical side of
    > things. so would really
    > appreciate some advice on how to get rid of any viruses i may have
    > picked up, one of them i think is trojan horse, and another one,
    > (which pops up every day) is called ardware.
    > many thanks to anyone with step by step!!
    > Mrs T Smart

    Sometimes,when you remove malware it will stop your TCP/IP
    stack from working (Internet connection).
    Winsock or LSP-fix will correct the problem,Download first.
    Note to anyone using NOD32 Anti-Virus software,Do Not delete the
    "imon.dll" this fix reports,This is your internet /e-mail scanning engine.

    YES-You need more than 1 malware program,the one's below are all free
    and work well.
    LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    Spybot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    About Buster- http://www.spychecker.com/program/aboutbuster.html
    Ad-Aware SE - http://majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_SE_Personal_d506.html
    MS Antispyware:
    CWShredder -http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html
    Hijack this - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html\
    Hijackthis tutorial -
    http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showtopic=165
    SpywareBlaster - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    SpywareGuard - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
    WinPatrol - http://winpatrol.com
    BHO Demon - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3550.html
    asquared2 "Trojan Remover" - http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    A nice site -
    http://groups.msn.com/TeMercInternetSecuritySite/malwarecountermeasures.msnw
    NOD32Anti-Virus Free 30 day trial
    http://nod32.com/download/trial.htm
    Process Guard-
    http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/index.php?page=download
    A link for free online virus and trojan scanners.
    http://virusall.com/downscan.html

    To help stop unauthorized downloads via your activex controls change your
    default settings.
    These settings are good for XP. The wording should be close for other
    systems
    as well.
    Go to control panel and open "internet options".
    Click on the security tab then custom level.
    make sure these settings are as follows.

    Download signed active x controls>set to prompt
    Download unsigned active x controls>set to disable
    Initialize and script active x controls not marked as safe>set to disable
    Run active x controls and pluggins>set to enable
    Script active x controls marked safe for scripting>set to enable
    Java permissions>set to high
    Launching programs and files in a IFRAME" > Prompt
    Installation of Desktop items"> Prompt
    Navigate sub-frames across different domains>prompt

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    Mrs T Smart wrote:
    > i got my new dell pc a few weeks ago, and have since connected to the
    > internet. i keep getting pop ups from various different sites
    > offering me stupid deal
    > or another, and this is where i believe my problem lies.
    > my start up is very slow and programmes keep crashing on me at the
    > most crucial of times. also, another very annoying factor is that i
    > cant seem to get pinball to load, no matter which way i try to get
    > into it. im not very pc wise when it comes to the technical side of
    > things. so would really
    > appreciate some advice on how to get rid of any viruses i may have
    > picked up, one of them i think is trojan horse, and another one,
    > (which pops up every day) is called ardware.
    > many thanks to anyone with step by step!!
    > Mrs T Smart

    I forgot to mention in my last post that Dell now gives customer support for
    spyware problems since yours is new it should be free.

    --
    Mike Pawlak

Windows XP