Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I want to check that all my running svchosts are genuine, so I tried to run
tasklist in msdos, but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks, Adrian

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

For Windows XP Professional, use this Tasklist command:

Click Start, Run and type: CMD

Then type: tasklist /svc >c:\taskList.txt

The taskList.txt will contain the services list (launched by each Svchost process).

Note: Windows XP Home Edition does not have tasklist.exe.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

From: "Adrian Bailey" <dadge@hotmail.com>

| I want to check that all my running svchosts are genuine, so I tried to run
| tasklist in msdos, but it doesn't work. Any ideas?
|
| Thanks, Adrian

It's not a DOS program.

The problem is that the name SVCHOST.EXE is used by *many* forms of malware.

Malware files that use that name will NOT be in %windir%\system32

So if the file is located in %windir% or %windir%\sytem then it it has a very high
probability of being malware.

The best way to check is to scan the system using anti virus/anti malware software.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm