Windows Registry Key inaccessible

June 29, 2005 8:56:22 PM

Hello,

My ATI graphics drivers install program cannot install because the key

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ATI Display Driver

is inaccessible. The install process gets an error 5

Sure enough when I try to read the key as an administrator and as the real
administrator I get:

"Cannot open xxx Error while opening key"

I tried to set the permission both as myself (administrator group) and the
real administrator and get

but you can make permission settings.

However, when I make the change I get:

Unable to save permission changes on xxxx
Access is denied.

This looks like a corrupt windows registry. Does anyone know a way to fix
this?

regards
Humberto A. Sanchez II
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 12:06:45 PM

System Restore.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Humberto A. Sanchez II" <hsanchezii@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:u6o9F3PfFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> My ATI graphics drivers install program cannot install because the key
>
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ATI Display Driver
>
> is inaccessible. The install process gets an error 5
>

> Sure enough when I try to read the key as an administrator and as the real administrator I get:
>
> "Cannot open xxx Error while opening key"
>
> I tried to set the permission both as myself (administrator group) and the real administrator and get

> However, when I make the change I get:
>
> Unable to save permission changes on xxxx
> Access is denied.
>
> This looks like a corrupt windows registry. Does anyone know a way to fix this?
>

> regards
> Humberto A. Sanchez II

Anonymous
July 4, 2005 5:41:03 PM

If System Restore doesn's work, you can downoad a free registry editor from
Lavasoft using this link. I use this program because it's packed with a lot
more features than Microsoft's registry editor:

Lavasoftusa's download site: (Reghance is at the bottom of the page)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Good luck!
Bob McKay

!