Upgrading a Dimension 5000??

Hi,

How easy is it to upgrade this system - I would want to put a pci express
graphics card, a sound card ,a dvd writer and maybe another 512Mb of memory.
Can you use none dell stuff??? Is there enough space in the machines??

Thanks

Nigel
2 answers Last reply
More about upgrading dimension 5000

    "Nigel" <dfsf@sdfs.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >How easy is it to upgrade this system - I would want to put a pci express
    >graphics card, a sound card ,a dvd writer and maybe another 512Mb of memory.
    >Can you use none dell stuff??? Is there enough space in the machines??

    As Ben has advised, within the constraints of numbers, and in
    some cases type, of memory slots, card slots, and drive bays, you
    can replace or add any of the items you are asking about.

    Note the specific caveats about DDR2 memory in the User Manual.

    A simple search for "Dimension 5000" on the Dell web site easily
    found the Dell Dimension 5000 Documentation, including the user
    guide, in five languages selections, at

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5000/?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

    Selecting English took me to the Dell Dimension User Guide at

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5000/en/index.htm

    with a selection of HTML and PDF Documents. From the HTML
    service manual selection at:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim5000/en/sm/parts0.htm#wp1043338

    I found an extensive, detailed set of service information,
    addressing, among other things memory, cards, and drives. I
    would recommend you check out this page, although

    Memory
    You can increase your computer memory by installing memory
    modules on the system board. Your computer supports DDR2 memory.

    DDR2 memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched
    memory size, speed, and technology. If the DDR2 memory modules
    are not installed in matched pairs, the computer will continue to
    operate, but with a slight reduction in performance. See the
    label on the module to determine the module's capacity.

    Card slots - Your Dell™ computer provides the following slots for
    PCI and PCI Express cards:
    Two PCI card slots
    One PCI Express x16 card slot
    One PCI Express x1 card slot

    Drives - Your computer supports a combination of these devices:
    Up to two serial ATA drives
    One FlexBay drive (floppy drive or Media Card Reader)
    Up to two CD or DVD drives

    Have fun.
    --
    OJ III

    None of the components used inside contemporary Dell systems are proprietary.
    Memory must meet the specifications required by the system, but it need not be
    Dell-branded, only good quality. Whether or not you can add a DVD writer
    depends on whether or not there is an available drive bay. Most DVD writers
    sold nowadays also write and read CDs and read DVDs, so you could simply replace
    the existing drive in the system... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:55:28 GMT, "Nigel" <dfsf@sdfs.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >How easy is it to upgrade this system - I would want to put a pci express
    >graphics card, a sound card ,a dvd writer and maybe another 512Mb of memory.
    >Can you use none dell stuff??? Is there enough space in the machines??
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Nigel

Dell Dimension 5000 Computers