HAIL TO THE NEW KING OF DUAL HEAD DISPLAY

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a G400 and a long Matrox fan... so i shall say "Wait till you see G800!"

Morgan 1.6Ghz + 256DDR = Dream on
However dreams are approacable :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by machow on 11/12/00 08:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

You obviously don't want to have things such as videos played in the 2nd head, or have problems such as issues with multi processor systems crashing when you enable SMP & OpenGL or DirectX in programs like 3D Studio Max, or MAYA3D.

When i can afford to get rid of my G400 Max i will be, and i'll never touch another Matrox product again.

(their driver releases also suck, when was the last time you saw a set of release notes with drivers saying what bugs were fixed.)

==================
Ian McGinley
parawolf

Stringy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
their driver releases also suck, when was the last time you saw a set of release notes with drivers saying what bugs were fixed
Well you obviously don't frequent the <A HREF="http://www.matroxusers.com" target="_new">MURC</A> or the <A HREF="http://forums.matroxusers.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Matrox+Hardware&number=5&DaysPrune=5&LastLogin=" target="_new">MURC's fori</A>... There I get an adequate sumorizing of new fixes and features...

As for Video on the 2nd head, it works fine..

And you think ATi has a better handle on drivers??
Not sure but does their Win2k driver even have SMP??

Personally, ATi's display clarity isn't upto par for me to look at at home at high res... Besides, the matrox does fine....

Craig
BTW: Matrox's latest version is upto 5.20.016 for Win2k and 6.10.013 for 9x/ME

P3-700@933|G400DH|Asus P2B Rev.1.10 /w MSI slocket|128Mb PC100|SB PCI64|20Gb IBM 75GXP

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unfortunately the aged Matrox cards still price (much) more than competing cards, with somewhat the same features and performance. The gap is drifting and it will reach the point when it cost so much more there would be no demand for Matrox cards, that's when (I hope) G800 is launched.

Morgan 1.6Ghz + 256DDR = Dream on
However dreams are approacable :wink:

G

Uhm, I got my G400 32M DH for less than the cheapest Geforce 2 MX dual monitor solution. And the G450 32M DH is the same price as the MXs. Sure, you can get a MX with only one VGA connector, or one VGA + TV for a lot less money, but what's the point of the comparison then? It's no secret that the Matrox cards are quite a ways behind the times in terms of framerate. But short of buying the two absolute cheapest cards you could find (and they'd have to be generic more than likely), the G400/G450 IS still the cheapest dual monitor option.

Aaron

G

Maybe bringing up drivers in ATI's defense isn't the best approach. I think that historically ATI releases sub-par drivers on a card's initial release, then slowly updates it to a higher standard as time progresses.
Just look at the Radeon 8500... its updated drivers blow away its release drivers (as any driver should, but the extent of it was surprising), but there were also a lot of problems with the drivers' initial release... and anyway, they don't let you turn smooth vision off :(.

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
well i currently run a g550 and i have to say this card is a POS. wtf does matrox keep claiming they have unmatched 2d performance? all i do is 2d and video. maybe by 2d they ment strictly word/accel/etc. i'm looking at getting the 7500 this week.
rcf-
had a question, i'm sure you would know ( i emailed ati a few days back, still no answer)...
the 7500 will support hardware overlay, but on both monitors or just primary? also is the OEM version of the 7500 underclocked like the 8500 OEM version? thanks.

[insert philosophical statement here]