GeForce2 GTS & flickering games...

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm having a problem with a couple of games, EA Superbike 2001 and NHRA Drag Racing 2. I get a flickering screen (almost like the refresh rate is out of synch with the frame rate). All other games like FS 2000, Quake 3, MS Combat Flight simulator , Grand Prix Legends (D3D version) are work VERY well. Just these two games.

I upgraded from DX7 to DX8 just to see if that help, but no difference.

My system, Micron PIII 866 Mhz, 256MB PC-133, 40GB UDMA66 HD, GeForce2 GTS 32MB, SBLive! Pro, NetGear TX310 NIC, Voodoo3 2000 (secondary display for 2 monitor setup) running under WinME.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rob.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Shouldn't you consult Micron eh? It's their job to get the PC run well.

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>member</b>!

G

Um, regarding superbike 2001, well...

Did you follow ALL the instructions in MYTH's .nfo?
hehe...

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm running the detonator 3 reference drivers (file versions are all 4.12.01.0631) and do NOT have an option to turn VSychn ON? I've looked in the "Direct3D Settings" tab and the "More Direct3D" -- is this some tweak option or something else? Is there a way to access this via the registery?

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I purchased the GeForce2 GTS separately and installed, so I doubt Micron will be very helpful. Not to mention I'm using the Detonator 3 reference drivers.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm, I'm only running a Geforce256 card but I am running the same drivers, Detonator 6.31. The option is available to me. Under Direct3D, More Direct3D, the choices for Vsync Mode are Auto Select, Always on, Always off.

I don't understand why you don't have the option.

In any case, if you never changed (or couldn't change) the option to "always off" then this probably isn't the cause of your problem.

Some people change the option to increase performance for graphics benchmarking but this can cause "tearing" which is visible. Just a guess, but I thought this is what you might be seeing.

G

Not a problem, this problem is dead easy to fix. First off you going to have to add a entry to the registry before the DirectX VSync control is enabled to do this;

#1 Click on the link below and download the registry file.

<A HREF="http://www.geforcefaq.com/files/coolbits.reg" target="_new">http://www.geforcefaq.com/files/coolbits.reg</A>

#2 Run the file to update the registry with the CoolBits controls enabled. Which include the VSync control for DirectX.

#3 Goto the DirectX control like you normally would, and click the more options button.

#4 The DirectX VSync control should now be visible. Then turn the VSync OFF. This is what's causing the flicker.

You'll find that the video card is pumping out video frames faster than your monitor will allow. Well that's the theory anyway.

When I play most games, my GeForce 2 64Mb GTS video card is sets my monitor to refresh rates like 150Hz ( in BGate 2 ), so trying to sync up to a 75/85Hz display will cause problems.

Hope it helps.

bab2158

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Hi,

Did you try doing a dxdiag test? Did you receive any flicker on any of the standard tests (i.e. bouncing box?) I would definitely look into vsync, and possibly even try a different monitor. If its still an issue, you should try using a different video card, or if your card supports it, DVI.

5700necropost4kobf7.png

Status
Not open for further replies.