video editing.....

G

I am getting very heavy into video editing, but it is taking WAY too long for stuff to render in programs such as Adobe Premiere. I have heard that it is possible for some graphics cards to do real time rendering for Adobe. Is this true?? Or is there another type of card needed for this application?? I know that I could instead upgrade the cpu and ram to get faster rendering (which I am in the process of doing anyway) , but if a real time device is available, that would be the best way to go. Does anyone have any information in this area?? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Cancienne

bman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There are real time rendering devices out there, too many to list, even, but it depends upon your real need versus your real cash flow!

I've used something called the Perception RT from DPS. Check it out at http://www.dps.com/dpsweb.nsf/Products-Desktop-RTNLEs?OpenPage

But don't say I didn't warn you that this technology doesn't come cheap! And not EVERY effect is rendered in real time, but most effects for video editing that are commonly used in real video production (i.e. professional, broadcast, etc) are done in real time, or so close to it that you won't care.

Matrox is another company that boasts some good products in this realm, and there are a lot of consumer-based immitators, but it still really boils down to what you NEED it for - or in other words, how much money you can make back from it.

G

Hey!
Me too! I just posted a similar question in the video editing area. I think you answered my questioned based on your experience. I don't believe having a much higher end config will help a great deal, some but not allot. I think it comes down to the processing of the CODECS. Dedicated firmware has an advatage over software being run by the main cpu. You would think a kick ass 1Ghz thunderbird would do as good a job as dedicated firmware.. I don't fully understand it and am still learning and making some assumtions.

I was looking at the Matrox RT 2000 and the DV500 video editing cards. My comparison shows that the RT does alot more realtime(very important)stuff and the DV500 has to render more stuff. RT is $1500.00 here in Toronto Canada.
Check out www.videoguys.com -- great info on cards but their comparisons are biased toward selling you anything. But you can take their info and do your own comparison for your own needs
I like the RT2000 so far. Good luck.

If anyone else can give us a comparison on using a 1 to 1.2
Ghz CPU with and without a dedicated editing card, that would be great.

Thanks again.

Take care

TRENDING THREADS