no "edit" in context menu

Right click a .jpg image and there is no "edit" in the context menu. I
think this is screwing up window picture and fax viewer. In that
program there is an edit button and if I click it it always asks what i
want to open with... If I then choose MS Photo editor and check mark
"always" then Photo editor is now the program that OPENS all .jpg files
(not picture and fax viewer." My other XP sp1 computer works just fine.

All looks well in:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command

but there still is no edit button on the context (right-click) menu for
any graphic image. How do I get the system to do it?

Thanks,

Randy

Perhaps this will help.

Go to

Then select "JPE/JPG/JPEG Association Fix".

<yksmir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Right click a .jpg image and there is no "edit" in the context menu. I
> think this is screwing up window picture and fax viewer. In that
> program there is an edit button and if I click it it always asks what i
> want to open with... If I then choose MS Photo editor and check mark
> "always" then Photo editor is now the program that OPENS all .jpg files
> (not picture and fax viewer." My other XP sp1 computer works just fine.
>
> All looks well in:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command
>
> but there still is no edit button on the context (right-click) menu for
> any graphic image. How do I get the system to do it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randy

Type "regsvr32 shimgvw" in Start/Run.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

<yksmir@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Right click a .jpg image and there is no "edit" in the context menu. I
> think this is screwing up window picture and fax viewer. In that
> program there is an edit button and if I click it it always asks what i
> want to open with... If I then choose MS Photo editor and check mark
> "always" then Photo editor is now the program that OPENS all .jpg files
> (not picture and fax viewer." My other XP sp1 computer works just fine.
>
> All looks well in:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command
>
> but there still is no edit button on the context (right-click) menu for
> any graphic image. How do I get the system to do it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Randy

That did it! Thanks. The association was messed up for edit for some
reason (misspelled "Microsoft Shared" as "Microsoft S", but I easily
fixed that.

<yks...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Right click a .jpg image and there is no "edit" in the context menu. I
> think this is screwing up window picture and fax viewer. In that
> program there is an edit button and if I click it it always asks what i
> want to open with... If I then choose MS Photo editor and check mark
> "always" then Photo editor is now the program that OPENS all .jpg files
> (not picture and fax viewer." My other XP sp1 computer works just fine.

> All looks well in:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command

> but there still is no edit button on the context (right-click) menu for
> any graphic image. How do I get the system to do it?

> Thanks,

> Randy

You're welcome.

In addition:

Change the default image editor application, invoked from Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgeditor.htm