Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bob Roberts Status?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 7:10:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I've been looking for any news, but maybe I've missed it. Does anyone
know if Bob is OK after the storm? If he's not, I'd like to help out.

More about : bob roberts status

Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:39:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Hi,

From what I understand, Gretna LA was under mandatory evacuation before
the storm. I am sure he left in time, but I don't know the status of
the area.

Mark Capps

Pete Ashdown wrote:
> I've been looking for any news, but maybe I've missed it. Does anyone
> know if Bob is OK after the storm? If he's not, I'd like to help out.
Anonymous
September 12, 2005 9:42:44 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

> hopefully New Orleans became a toilet for all the water that would have gone
> to Gretna...

Well thats a bit insensitive.. Although for the life of me, I can't
understand why people would choose to live right off the sea.. BELOW
SEA LEVEL. But this is America, I suppose if they want to live like
Sponge-bob's squirrel friend, they should be allowed to. BUT.. the
state or local governments should have to have an escrow fund large
enough to cover a disaster like this. I'm not sure it should be the
rest of the country's tax obligation to underwrite this sort of risky
living.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:09:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

For what its worth Gretna was normally above sea level by 5 feet or so,
compared to that bowl of water that used to be New Orleans which normally
used to be an average of 6 feet below. None of it is good though.. I read
someplace that the surface of Lake Pontchartrain at its worst went 6 feet
above sea level... :-(

--

"big dog" <catfishh@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:zc6dnZ2dnZ0eAPfenZ2dnTtouN6dnZ2dRVn-052dnZ0@comcast.com...
> Hi,
>
> From what I understand, Gretna LA was under mandatory evacuation before
> the storm. I am sure he left in time, but I don't know the status of the
> area.
>
> Mark Capps
>
> Pete Ashdown wrote:
>> I've been looking for any news, but maybe I've missed it. Does anyone
>> know if Bob is OK after the storm? If he's not, I'd like to help out.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 3:34:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

hopefully New Orleans became a toilet for all the water that would have gone
to Gretna...

I'm a firm believer that they should NOT rebuild New Orleans... I read
somewhere that it costs the Fed's over a Billion a year just keeping the
place dry... do YOU want to pay to keep New Orleans dry? I don't... if the
local residents can't aford to keep themselves dry then they should move...

"Chris K" <gotstikNO@SPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
news:n0nVe.36121$qY1.15728@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> For what its worth Gretna was normally above sea level by 5 feet or so,
> compared to that bowl of water that used to be New Orleans which normally
> used to be an average of 6 feet below. None of it is good though.. I read
> someplace that the surface of Lake Pontchartrain at its worst went 6 feet
> above sea level... :-(
>
> --
>
> "big dog" <catfishh@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:zc6dnZ2dnZ0eAPfenZ2dnTtouN6dnZ2dRVn-052dnZ0@comcast.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> From what I understand, Gretna LA was under mandatory evacuation before
>> the storm. I am sure he left in time, but I don't know the status of the
>> area.
>>
>> Mark Capps
>>
>> Pete Ashdown wrote:
>>> I've been looking for any news, but maybe I've missed it. Does anyone
>>> know if Bob is OK after the storm? If he's not, I'd like to help out.
>
>
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 5:23:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

When New Orleans was built, it wasn't under sea level. Over the years, the
city has actually had the sediment under it washed away and lowered the
level of the land. Crazy, huh?

Ron

<micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1126572164.708358.288650@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> hopefully New Orleans became a toilet for all the water that would have
>> gone
>> to Gretna...
>
> Well thats a bit insensitive.. Although for the life of me, I can't
> understand why people would choose to live right off the sea.. BELOW
> SEA LEVEL. But this is America, I suppose if they want to live like
> Sponge-bob's squirrel friend, they should be allowed to. BUT.. the
> state or local governments should have to have an escrow fund large
> enough to cover a disaster like this. I'm not sure it should be the
> rest of the country's tax obligation to underwrite this sort of risky
> living.
>
September 13, 2005 5:28:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Who are you kidding. You know Spongebob's squirrel friend is named Shirley.

First I hope Bob and his family are safe. Second I hope his business is
safe. There are a lot of classic games who owe their existence to that man.

- Dave


<micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1126572164.708358.288650@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > hopefully New Orleans became a toilet for all the water that would have
gone
> > to Gretna...
>
> Well thats a bit insensitive.. Although for the life of me, I can't
> understand why people would choose to live right off the sea.. BELOW
> SEA LEVEL. But this is America, I suppose if they want to live like
> Sponge-bob's squirrel friend, they should be allowed to. BUT.. the
> state or local governments should have to have an escrow fund large
> enough to cover a disaster like this. I'm not sure it should be the
> rest of the country's tax obligation to underwrite this sort of risky
> living.
>
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 5:40:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Spongebob's squirrel friend is named Sandy ;-)

Taxman wrote:
> Who are you kidding. You know Spongebob's squirrel friend is named Shirley.
>
> First I hope Bob and his family are safe. Second I hope his business is
> safe. There are a lot of classic games who owe their existence to that man.
>
> - Dave
>
>
> <micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1126572164.708358.288650@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
>>>hopefully New Orleans became a toilet for all the water that would have
>
> gone
>
>>>to Gretna...
>>
>>Well thats a bit insensitive.. Although for the life of me, I can't
>>understand why people would choose to live right off the sea.. BELOW
>>SEA LEVEL. But this is America, I suppose if they want to live like
>>Sponge-bob's squirrel friend, they should be allowed to. BUT.. the
>>state or local governments should have to have an escrow fund large
>>enough to cover a disaster like this. I'm not sure it should be the
>>rest of the country's tax obligation to underwrite this sort of risky
>>living.
>>
>
>
>
September 13, 2005 5:48:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I knew that ;-0

"Tim Iskander" <tiskande@_no_twcny.s-p-a-mrr.com> wrote in message
news:v6qVe.88392$Hx4.76421@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Spongebob's squirrel friend is named Sandy ;-)
>
> Taxman wrote:
> > Who are you kidding. You know Spongebob's squirrel friend is named
Shirley.
> >
> > First I hope Bob and his family are safe. Second I hope his business is
> > safe. There are a lot of classic games who owe their existence to that
man.
> >
> > - Dave
> >
> >
> > <micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:1126572164.708358.288650@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> >
> >>>hopefully New Orleans became a toilet for all the water that would have
> >
> > gone
> >
> >>>to Gretna...
> >>
> >>Well thats a bit insensitive.. Although for the life of me, I can't
> >>understand why people would choose to live right off the sea.. BELOW
> >>SEA LEVEL. But this is America, I suppose if they want to live like
> >>Sponge-bob's squirrel friend, they should be allowed to. BUT.. the
> >>state or local governments should have to have an escrow fund large
> >>enough to cover a disaster like this. I'm not sure it should be the
> >>rest of the country's tax obligation to underwrite this sort of risky
> >>living.
> >>
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:27:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Not so much washed away as diverted to other places... that happens when you
redirect the Mississippi river...

it was bad engineering in 1923 and is bad engineering now...

"Ron Lyons" <LyonsArcade@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
news:kSpVe.3479$Jp.434887@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> When New Orleans was built, it wasn't under sea level. Over the years,
> the city has actually had the sediment under it washed away and lowered
> the level of the land. Crazy, huh?
>
> Ron
>
> <micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1126572164.708358.288650@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>> hopefully New Orleans became a toilet for all the water that would have
>>> gone
>>> to Gretna...
>>
>> Well thats a bit insensitive.. Although for the life of me, I can't
>> understand why people would choose to live right off the sea.. BELOW
>> SEA LEVEL. But this is America, I suppose if they want to live like
>> Sponge-bob's squirrel friend, they should be allowed to. BUT.. the
>> state or local governments should have to have an escrow fund large
>> enough to cover a disaster like this. I'm not sure it should be the
>> rest of the country's tax obligation to underwrite this sort of risky
>> living.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:33:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

It's not insensitive, but realistic.

I hope all the people who lived there are well... I just don't see how it's
my responsibility to pay for their loss when they *knowingly* took the risk
to live where they did. (note: I've given money, clothes, food, etc. to the
local red cross for the releif effort, so I *do* care about the people).

New Orleans exists because of Depression era projects and an inoprotune
Mississippi flood.

It's fine if they want to live there, but they should assume the risk and
not expect the rest of the country to bail them out...

hell, my house was once damaged by an overflowing river (a very rare event
never to be seen again in the area where it happened). Did the fed's help
me? No... I was just one person. Did I expect the fed's to help me? No.

Why should the fed's help these people? Yes it was a lot of people all at
once, but individually they were no worse then me. I had to struggle for a
few years to get back to break even, I never expected to get a $2K money
card and grants to rebuild my house.

There are just to many people in the US who speak of Entitlement rather then
go out and WORK and PAY for the things they desire...

<micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1126572164.708358.288650@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> hopefully New Orleans became a toilet for all the water that would have
>> gone
>> to Gretna...
>
> Well thats a bit insensitive.. Although for the life of me, I can't
> understand why people would choose to live right off the sea.. BELOW
> SEA LEVEL. But this is America, I suppose if they want to live like
> Sponge-bob's squirrel friend, they should be allowed to. BUT.. the
> state or local governments should have to have an escrow fund large
> enough to cover a disaster like this. I'm not sure it should be the
> rest of the country's tax obligation to underwrite this sort of risky
> living.
>
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 7:40:46 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Hey I agree with you 100%, I was just saying that it wasn't really built
under sea level. Another thing you gotta worry about it just think how this
is going to affect the insurance rates in the rest of the country.

Ron

"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:xTqVe.12170$ck6.9488@trndny05...
> It's not insensitive, but realistic.
>
> I hope all the people who lived there are well... I just don't see how
> it's my responsibility to pay for their loss when they *knowingly* took
> the risk to live where they did. (note: I've given money, clothes, food,
> etc. to the local red cross for the releif effort, so I *do* care about
> the people).
>
> New Orleans exists because of Depression era projects and an inoprotune
> Mississippi flood.
>
> It's fine if they want to live there, but they should assume the risk and
> not expect the rest of the country to bail them out...
>
> hell, my house was once damaged by an overflowing river (a very rare event
> never to be seen again in the area where it happened). Did the fed's help
> me? No... I was just one person. Did I expect the fed's to help me? No.
>
> Why should the fed's help these people? Yes it was a lot of people all at
> once, but individually they were no worse then me. I had to struggle for
> a few years to get back to break even, I never expected to get a $2K money
> card and grants to rebuild my house.
>
> There are just to many people in the US who speak of Entitlement rather
> then go out and WORK and PAY for the things they desire...
>
> <micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1126572164.708358.288650@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>> hopefully New Orleans became a toilet for all the water that would have
>>> gone
>>> to Gretna...
>>
>> Well thats a bit insensitive.. Although for the life of me, I can't
>> understand why people would choose to live right off the sea.. BELOW
>> SEA LEVEL. But this is America, I suppose if they want to live like
>> Sponge-bob's squirrel friend, they should be allowed to. BUT.. the
>> state or local governments should have to have an escrow fund large
>> enough to cover a disaster like this. I'm not sure it should be the
>> rest of the country's tax obligation to underwrite this sort of risky
>> living.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 8:46:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Lol... I don't care it all... it's actually GOOD for me.

I work in the insurance business and my company provides end-to-end
insurance management softwarecompanies...(from app to quote to udnerwriting
to claims to accounting to etc.)

old companies go under

new companies come in and have a desperate need

we sell them a new system for a few mill

I get to buy some new vids :) 

ps: I acutally write servers/compilers/database engine code... not really
insurance stuff but there are other people who write insurance code on top
of my stuff

"Ron Lyons" <LyonsArcade@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
news:2TrVe.3484$Jp.452388@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> Hey I agree with you 100%, I was just saying that it wasn't really built
> under sea level. Another thing you gotta worry about it just think how
> this is going to affect the insurance rates in the rest of the country.
>
> Ron
>
> "Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:xTqVe.12170$ck6.9488@trndny05...
>> It's not insensitive, but realistic.
>>
>> I hope all the people who lived there are well... I just don't see how
>> it's my responsibility to pay for their loss when they *knowingly* took
>> the risk to live where they did. (note: I've given money, clothes, food,
>> etc. to the local red cross for the releif effort, so I *do* care about
>> the people).
>>
>> New Orleans exists because of Depression era projects and an inoprotune
>> Mississippi flood.
>>
>> It's fine if they want to live there, but they should assume the risk and
>> not expect the rest of the country to bail them out...
>>
>> hell, my house was once damaged by an overflowing river (a very rare
>> event never to be seen again in the area where it happened). Did the
>> fed's help me? No... I was just one person. Did I expect the fed's to
>> help me? No.
>>
>> Why should the fed's help these people? Yes it was a lot of people all
>> at once, but individually they were no worse then me. I had to struggle
>> for a few years to get back to break even, I never expected to get a $2K
>> money card and grants to rebuild my house.
>>
>> There are just to many people in the US who speak of Entitlement rather
>> then go out and WORK and PAY for the things they desire...
>>
>> <micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:1126572164.708358.288650@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>>> hopefully New Orleans became a toilet for all the water that would have
>>>> gone
>>>> to Gretna...
>>>
>>> Well thats a bit insensitive.. Although for the life of me, I can't
>>> understand why people would choose to live right off the sea.. BELOW
>>> SEA LEVEL. But this is America, I suppose if they want to live like
>>> Sponge-bob's squirrel friend, they should be allowed to. BUT.. the
>>> state or local governments should have to have an escrow fund large
>>> enough to cover a disaster like this. I'm not sure it should be the
>>> rest of the country's tax obligation to underwrite this sort of risky
>>> living.
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:19:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

There is entitlement, at least to those who pay taxes, I mean disaster
relief is one of the reasons we pay taxes. A lot of the people who
were displaced did work and pay for the things they desired, perhaps it
wasn't the best choice to live in that area, but then again neither is
living in California near the San Andreas Fault, or in the midwest in
"Tornado Alley."
You're almost making it sound like all of the people who were left
homeless were nothing but a bunch of welfare bums, which I'm sure some
are, but not all of them. Many of the people who lost everything were
home owners, which is pretty hard to do while on welfare.
Oh yeah I think they did away with that whole 2k debit card thing too.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:37:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

You know what else I have to wonder.. I mean, we Detroiters think we're
all ruthless and everything.. But shooting at the rescue helicopters
BEFORE getting rescued/water delivered/etc?! They are either HARDCORE
down there, or just plain dumb. I think if it had happened up here, we
would have been all friendly and smiling as the chopper was landing..
and THEN we would have shot 'em and car-jacked them or something :) 
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 1:50:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

That would be interesting, someone Chopper Jacking one of the rescue
choppers :) . The military would have probably blown it out of the sky
in a heartbeat.

FWIW, they said that some of the people were shooting at the choppers,
as a way of demanding they be rescued, I know that doesn't make much
sense and is probably a bunch of BS, but I personally know that I can't
think straight when I don't eat dinner on time, I can only imagine how
nuts I'd get going a couple of days without food. But I hope I'd have
enough left in my head to remember that people don't tend to run toward
bullets :) 
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 4:30:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

"anyway i would seek another location to live and start over that way"

I think many of them are going to do just that. I know I heard a lot
of people on the TV saying they aren't going back down there.
But it's like I said, wherever you go, there's always something,
tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes, wildfires...
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 7:27:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

There was a thing on NPR over the w/e about this - they were
interviewing a group of white paramedics who were in town for a
convention that were a part of the group trying to cross the bridge to
Gretna. Didn't sound to good for the town of Gretna's image.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 9:52:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

For what its worth, here is an article that mentions Gretna:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/13/katrina.bridge/index.h...

It seems like Gretna was relatively unscathed if they were sending evacuees
there.


"Pete Ashdown" <pashdown@xmission.com> wrote in message
news:D g4r14$qnf$1@news.xmission.com...
> I've been looking for any news, but maybe I've missed it. Does anyone
> know if Bob is OK after the storm? If he's not, I'd like to help out.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 11:51:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

there was reports of a cop stuck up on a roof for 2 days having to keep
switchings sides because various people would float along and keep taking
the odd pot-shot at him.. really.. WTF is wrong with these idiots..

"RedWolfJC" <redwolfjc@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1126630252.718488.56570@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> That would be interesting, someone Chopper Jacking one of the rescue
> choppers :) . The military would have probably blown it out of the sky
> in a heartbeat.
>
> FWIW, they said that some of the people were shooting at the choppers,
> as a way of demanding they be rescued, I know that doesn't make much
> sense and is probably a bunch of BS, but I personally know that I can't
> think straight when I don't eat dinner on time, I can only imagine how
> nuts I'd get going a couple of days without food. But I hope I'd have
> enough left in my head to remember that people don't tend to run toward
> bullets :) 
>
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 11:56:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

No.. disaster relief is NOT a federal entitlement... it says nothing in the
constitution about the fed's doing disaster relief, and everything not in
the constitution directly is reserved for the states (you'd be hard pressed
to have inter-state commerce apply here which is what they use as the
rational for most regulation).

People who have taxes have homeoners insurance.. .they're covered.

People who rent have the option to buy rental insurance... if they didn't to
save some $$$ then screw them.

Again, other people have had there houses burned down and not got a DIME...
it's utterly unfair that these people get 50 BILLION to help them out of OUR
pockets.

I've been a fireman for MANY MANY years, seen people lose everything more
times then I can count... did ANYONE from New Orleasns in ANY WAY help these
people out... NO... yet the EXPECT it from others.

To the people who I've seen lose it all in fires it is every bit as much of
a disaster as what happened in NO.

The ONLY reason they are getting anything is because it is POLITICAL
CAPITAL.

That's it.. end of story.

steve

"RedWolfJC" <redwolfjc@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1126628364.334664.73570@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> There is entitlement, at least to those who pay taxes, I mean disaster
> relief is one of the reasons we pay taxes. A lot of the people who
> were displaced did work and pay for the things they desired, perhaps it
> wasn't the best choice to live in that area, but then again neither is
> living in California near the San Andreas Fault, or in the midwest in
> "Tornado Alley."
> You're almost making it sound like all of the people who were left
> homeless were nothing but a bunch of welfare bums, which I'm sure some
> are, but not all of them. Many of the people who lost everything were
> home owners, which is pretty hard to do while on welfare.
> Oh yeah I think they did away with that whole 2k debit card thing too.
>
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 12:45:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I suppose you could get 13 feet of snow, nice heavy wet snow that
causes many roofs to collapse. :)  Perhaps a chemical plant
manufacturing someting really nasty that has an environmental disaster
as a result of a bizzare lightning strike that makes parts of the city
uninhabitable? With all of the alleged Global warming, the level of
water in the oceans could rise and cause (correct me if I'm wrong on
the name) Lake St Clair to flood out the state from lake Huron to Erie.
Do they have nuclear power plants there? I know many states don't,
but if so you could have a Chernobyl style meltdown. :)  And of course,
though not a natural disaster theres always a risk of invasion by a
band of marauding Canadians :) 

I hear what you're saying though, I'm in Central Illinois, which is
sort of part of "tornado alley" but not really. We get a few twisters
here, but not many. I guess there is that New Madrid faultline that's
down by St Louis that they keep saying if it ever goes, it'll make all
of the California earthquakes look like childs play. The old story
people keep telling is the last time there was an earthquake on that
faultline it rang church bells in Pennsylvania. Of course that was
like 1811 or so.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 6:37:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

When New Orleans was built it was on high ground(French Quarter). The rest
of the city was built later on ground that was lower and got lower gradually
by subsidence.
All of the news pictures show the inner city where the population is
predominately black. The areas that are mostly white population get no
coverage. A news item today said that St. Bernard Parish, which is mostly
white-blue colored, home owning, tax paying people is a total loss. Besides
the ceiling high water, the local oil refinery lost many k's of crude oil
which ended up in the parish. The result is 27,000 homes must be bull-dozed.
The people? shooting at rescue helicopters were stupid people that probably
looted a gun store. No agenda there other than stupidity.
Several people have said in this thread that they are not worried about
natural disasters where they live. They are not paying attention to the
news. Tornadoes and floods are popping up where they are rare all over the
globe.
Someone mentioned that tornadoes are only a !/2 mile by a few miles. Those
are the average. Try 45 miles long. Check the history of Ft. Worth,Tx in the
mid 60's.
Someone said that the objective of the fed. gov. is not relief of the
states. Why not?, the fed.gov. is not worth anything for anything else.
Steve sounds bitter for reasons that sound good. Not knowing what happened
is bugging me. I wish I good hear the story.
Just my thoughts about what's being said. And I've got a felling that Bob
will be just fine.

"Ron Lyons" <LyonsArcade@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
news:kSpVe.3479$Jp.434887@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> When New Orleans was built, it wasn't under sea level. Over the years,
the
> city has actually had the sediment under it washed away and lowered the
> level of the land. Crazy, huh?
>
> Ron
>
> <micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1126572164.708358.288650@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> >> hopefully New Orleans became a toilet for all the water that would have
> >> gone
> >> to Gretna...
> >
> > Well thats a bit insensitive.. Although for the life of me, I can't
> > understand why people would choose to live right off the sea.. BELOW
> > SEA LEVEL. But this is America, I suppose if they want to live like
> > Sponge-bob's squirrel friend, they should be allowed to. BUT.. the
> > state or local governments should have to have an escrow fund large
> > enough to cover a disaster like this. I'm not sure it should be the
> > rest of the country's tax obligation to underwrite this sort of risky
> > living.
> >
>
>
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 9:15:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

And I just heard they are worried abour St. Helens again.

"RedWolfJC" <redwolfjc@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1126669548.387554.131030@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I suppose you could get 13 feet of snow, nice heavy wet snow that
> causes many roofs to collapse. :)  Perhaps a chemical plant
> manufacturing someting really nasty that has an environmental disaster
> as a result of a bizzare lightning strike that makes parts of the city
> uninhabitable? With all of the alleged Global warming, the level of
> water in the oceans could rise and cause (correct me if I'm wrong on
> the name) Lake St Clair to flood out the state from lake Huron to Erie.
> Do they have nuclear power plants there? I know many states don't,
> but if so you could have a Chernobyl style meltdown. :)  And of course,
> though not a natural disaster theres always a risk of invasion by a
> band of marauding Canadians :) 
>
> I hear what you're saying though, I'm in Central Illinois, which is
> sort of part of "tornado alley" but not really. We get a few twisters
> here, but not many. I guess there is that New Madrid faultline that's
> down by St Louis that they keep saying if it ever goes, it'll make all
> of the California earthquakes look like childs play. The old story
> people keep telling is the last time there was an earthquake on that
> faultline it rang church bells in Pennsylvania. Of course that was
> like 1811 or so.
>
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 12:23:07 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Well... California's not that bad as far as Earthquakes go. I live in
the central valley, and although there are a couple smaller faults in
area, earthquakes don't really bother anything. The worst of them
simply feel like a large truck driving by. Personally I wouldn't live
in San Francisco or LA, the earthquake hot spots per sey. I love the
san diego area, known for wildfires with all the canyons there, but
that can be managed with a properly designed fire management system
(roof sprinklers, as well as the surrounding grounds, and always make
sure you clear dry brush around your home).

Personally I feel they should allow new Orleans to return to the swamp
that mother nature apparently wants it to be. I'm not all that
familear with the area, but I'm sure there's somewhere nearby the city
can be "relocated" to that is higher up. After all, if they gotta
rebuild the whole thing, why not take advantage of the opportunity to
do it above sea level. I can understand living under sea level in say
death valley where there's no water to be seen.... but to do it by the
sea, from an outside prospective it just seems kinda silly.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 3:35:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

No.. disaster relief is NOT a federal entitlement... it says nothing in
the
constitution about the fed's doing disaster relief, and everything not
in
the constitution directly is reserved for the states (you'd be hard
pressed
to have inter-state commerce apply here which is what they use as the
rational for most regulation). "

>From FEMA.GOV:
"The Federal Emergency Management Agency - a former independent agency
that became part of the new Department of Homeland Security in March
2003 - is tasked with responding to, planning for, recovering from and
mitigating against disasters."
The Dept of Homeland security is part of the president's "Cabinet"
which the right of the president to create is implied through article 2
section 2 of the Constitution, therefore since it is a constitutionally
created organization funded by federal tax dollars, and since FEMA's
charter is disaster relief, Disaster Relief is a federal entitlement.

That being said, it does by no means diminish the pain and anguish
caused to individuals, who are not protected by FEMA, unfortunately
FEMA is only set up to protect against disasters that affect a wide
area or many people.

Oh and btw total props for you being a firefighter, thats one helluva
job that most people (including me) couldn't handle and that the world
couldn't function without.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 9:28:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

it's an interesting place... I have seen a lot of the world.. New Orleans
was the only one that you can actually look UP and see huge cargo ships
going by... there is just something fundamentally wrong with that...

"MercCat" <marilyn_ryan@netzero.com> wrote in message
news:1126711387.473869.25600@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Well... California's not that bad as far as Earthquakes go. I live in
> the central valley, and although there are a couple smaller faults in
> area, earthquakes don't really bother anything. The worst of them
> simply feel like a large truck driving by. Personally I wouldn't live
> in San Francisco or LA, the earthquake hot spots per sey. I love the
> san diego area, known for wildfires with all the canyons there, but
> that can be managed with a properly designed fire management system
> (roof sprinklers, as well as the surrounding grounds, and always make
> sure you clear dry brush around your home).
>
> Personally I feel they should allow new Orleans to return to the swamp
> that mother nature apparently wants it to be. I'm not all that
> familear with the area, but I'm sure there's somewhere nearby the city
> can be "relocated" to that is higher up. After all, if they gotta
> rebuild the whole thing, why not take advantage of the opportunity to
> do it above sea level. I can understand living under sea level in say
> death valley where there's no water to be seen.... but to do it by the
> sea, from an outside prospective it just seems kinda silly.
>
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:14:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Well sure... a *true* disaster is something the gov't should help with
(9/11) for instance...

but people who build their houses in a know huricane area, on land that is
below sea level should really not expect to have their houses rebuilt by the
gov't every time they get wiped out (and they will... repeatedly).

What really get's me is that *I* am being forced to pay for other peoples
stupidity...

Sending in the gov't to rebuid streets, infrastructure is *absolutely*
something fema should be doing (along with emergency hospitals, food, etc.).

What the govn't shouldn't do, however, is act as an insurance agency for
those people who chose to not pay for insurance in the first place... *that*
is what I have problems with...

steve

"RedWolfJC" <redwolfjc@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1126722922.889729.45990@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> No.. disaster relief is NOT a federal entitlement... it says nothing in
> the
> constitution about the fed's doing disaster relief, and everything not
> in
> the constitution directly is reserved for the states (you'd be hard
> pressed
> to have inter-state commerce apply here which is what they use as the
> rational for most regulation). "
>
>>From FEMA.GOV:
> "The Federal Emergency Management Agency - a former independent agency
> that became part of the new Department of Homeland Security in March
> 2003 - is tasked with responding to, planning for, recovering from and
> mitigating against disasters."
> The Dept of Homeland security is part of the president's "Cabinet"
> which the right of the president to create is implied through article 2
> section 2 of the Constitution, therefore since it is a constitutionally
> created organization funded by federal tax dollars, and since FEMA's
> charter is disaster relief, Disaster Relief is a federal entitlement.
>
> That being said, it does by no means diminish the pain and anguish
> caused to individuals, who are not protected by FEMA, unfortunately
> FEMA is only set up to protect against disasters that affect a wide
> area or many people.
>
> Oh and btw total props for you being a firefighter, thats one helluva
> job that most people (including me) couldn't handle and that the world
> couldn't function without.
>
September 15, 2005 2:14:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I agree and would also want to help any place that a natural "UNEXPECTED"
disaster happens.But this is BS the fact that these people knew from so many
years of dangerous weather conditions and living below sea level.I guess
that makes us the insurance company for them to live there since it is
costing all of us money to keep rebuilding things that are going to get
knocked down again and again.Why are we doing this.??????????????????
"Steve Muccione" <home*DOT*muccione@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:rh1We.13613$ck6.5053@trndny05...
> Well sure... a *true* disaster is something the gov't should help with
> (9/11) for instance...
>
> but people who build their houses in a know huricane area, on land that is
> below sea level should really not expect to have their houses rebuilt by
> the gov't every time they get wiped out (and they will... repeatedly).
>
> What really get's me is that *I* am being forced to pay for other peoples
> stupidity...
>
> Sending in the gov't to rebuid streets, infrastructure is *absolutely*
> something fema should be doing (along with emergency hospitals, food,
> etc.).
>
> What the govn't shouldn't do, however, is act as an insurance agency for
> those people who chose to not pay for insurance in the first place...
> *that* is what I have problems with...
>
> steve
>
> "RedWolfJC" <redwolfjc@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:1126722922.889729.45990@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> No.. disaster relief is NOT a federal entitlement... it says nothing in
>> the
>> constitution about the fed's doing disaster relief, and everything not
>> in
>> the constitution directly is reserved for the states (you'd be hard
>> pressed
>> to have inter-state commerce apply here which is what they use as the
>> rational for most regulation). "
>>
>>>From FEMA.GOV:
>> "The Federal Emergency Management Agency - a former independent agency
>> that became part of the new Department of Homeland Security in March
>> 2003 - is tasked with responding to, planning for, recovering from and
>> mitigating against disasters."
>> The Dept of Homeland security is part of the president's "Cabinet"
>> which the right of the president to create is implied through article 2
>> section 2 of the Constitution, therefore since it is a constitutionally
>> created organization funded by federal tax dollars, and since FEMA's
>> charter is disaster relief, Disaster Relief is a federal entitlement.
>>
>> That being said, it does by no means diminish the pain and anguish
>> caused to individuals, who are not protected by FEMA, unfortunately
>> FEMA is only set up to protect against disasters that affect a wide
>> area or many people.
>>
>> Oh and btw total props for you being a firefighter, thats one helluva
>> job that most people (including me) couldn't handle and that the world
>> couldn't function without.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:08:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I suppose because if we don't we'll have tens of thousands of people
wandering around looking for food. I'm sure that's what the cops in
Gretna were thinking, we let this group through here, and before you
know it we'll have a hundred thousand people trying to tear this place
apart, and once they're done with that, they'll move on to the next
town, and so on. I guess it's a small price to pay to keep some sort
of order.
As far as the tax thing goes, I don't care, cause if they didn't spend
my money on this they'd probably just waste it some other way like
studying the nitogen content of cow farts. :) 
September 15, 2005 4:18:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

And besides the fact if they let the people into Gretna.That would be less
stuff for the cops to loot for themselves.
"RedWolfJC" <redwolfjc@excite.com> wrote in message
news:1126796923.285148.206800@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>I suppose because if we don't we'll have tens of thousands of people
> wandering around looking for food. I'm sure that's what the cops in
> Gretna were thinking, we let this group through here, and before you
> know it we'll have a hundred thousand people trying to tear this place
> apart, and once they're done with that, they'll move on to the next
> town, and so on. I guess it's a small price to pay to keep some sort
> of order.
> As far as the tax thing goes, I don't care, cause if they didn't spend
> my money on this they'd probably just waste it some other way like
> studying the nitogen content of cow farts. :) 
>
!