Did I fry me Geforce

G

I was playing with overclocking my GeForce 256 SDR (CL) and using 3DMark2000 to test it. Then the computer crashed. Upon reboot, I have vertical white and black lines. I wiped the system out and reinstalled it. The lines are still there. Did I destroy my video card?

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
don't admit defeat yet. check the card phisicaly first, make sure it's all the way in the slot (hehe, embarasing experience for me). if it is try going back to an older vid card to see if the lines are still there. if not i'd say you fried it.

G

I am afraid you did fry it, but if you fried it, you probably had not removed your original heatsink, and you still probably have it under warranty, try to exchange it for a new one where you bought it or contact the manufacturer (of course you were NOT OVERCLOCKING it). If you removed the original heatsink, remove the current one, clean the thermal goo and the glue, and reattach the old one with the crappy epoxy manufacturers use.

G

Next one you fry, try a sprinkle of dill and a dash of garlic. Yummy. Red wine with that of course!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I do feel for you, no really, I do.
Thank god for warranties.

G

Ok, I really don't understand this, but the card did not work right in my computer. I tried a reformat and fresh install of WinME to make sure it wasn't a software problem. That didn't change anything. A clean install still had probs. I swapped video cards and all was well, and I tried my GeForce in another box and it DIDN'T work....
But now, all of a sudden, it is working again. Any ideas what is up???

G

Hey,

Ok there are a few possibilites. You could have fried the card. Usually you will get an error beep code if you did. Check it in another computer. This next option did happen to me, and is one of the most rare occurences in computer hardware failure. Your AGP port dies. I had my agp port die totally on me. At first I thought it was the card, but it wasn't it was the port. I even had that confirmed. Be careful with overclocking you can have a lot worse happen.

Good luck,

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

G

I posted about that happening to my GeForce too. The thing had been giving me texturing problems for months and it cleared up for a few days. Then all of a sudden things went dark..nothing was transparent anymore, menus had deep black borders..looked like my card was possessed by a demon!

It could be the beginning of the end my friend. Get peace of mind and have a replacement where you bought it..you don't want that card exploding or anything just after the warranty period.