Linksys WAP11as repeater with BEFW11S4

Here's my setup...

My cable modem is connected to a BEFW11S4 (ver. 3) wireless access point
router, which in turn is connected to a WSB24 wireless signal booster. I
have good coverage through most of the house, except now my wife wants to
use her laptop out on the patio on the opposite side of the house. There is
still a signal out on the patio, but it is extremely weak. Sometimes it
drops out entirely.

I was led to believe that I could set up *one* WAP11 as a repeater with the
BEFW11S4 to get better coverage. I later learned (after I purchased a
WAP11..I later took it back when I couldn't set it up to do what I wanted it
to do) that I actually need *two* WAP11's to do this.

Is this true? If not, how do I set up a WAP11 to work as a repeater with a
BEFW11S4?

I've called Linksys tech support (some phone-droid in India) and they also
told me I needed two WAP11's...that the WAP11 won't communicate with my
BEFW11S4 unless it's hard-wired to the unit. I find this hard to
understand. In essence, I have to *bypass* the wireless function of my
BEFW11S4 by setting it up with one WAP11, then set up *another* WAP11 to act
as a repeater for the first WAP11.

This just doesn't seem right. I talked to the resident guru on wireless
networks at Altex electronics and it didn't sound right to him either. He
said he's done this with D-Link equipment with no problems and can't see why
it shouldn't work with Linksys equipment.

What's the scoop on this?

Thanks in advance.

Coz

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002

yes, its true - wap11 has not got ability to be a repeater - it can be an
access point or a client, but not both. Second part of your message is
wrong, i think you misunderstood linksys (really, you phoned them ?? how
unusual...)

You can go wefw11s4 , out to a wap 11 working as a client, and the through
wire, maybe need a hub,not sure, but then back to another wap11 working as
access point.

Buffalo equipment does this out of the box you know - wla-g54c repeater
bridge - as i believe does the dlink 800.

"Banister Stairwell" <afganistan@bananastan.com> wrote in message
> Here's my setup...
>
> My cable modem is connected to a BEFW11S4 (ver. 3) wireless access point
> router, which in turn is connected to a WSB24 wireless signal booster. I
> have good coverage through most of the house, except now my wife wants to
> use her laptop out on the patio on the opposite side of the house. There
is
> still a signal out on the patio, but it is extremely weak. Sometimes it
> drops out entirely.
>
> I was led to believe that I could set up *one* WAP11 as a repeater with
the
> BEFW11S4 to get better coverage. I later learned (after I purchased a
> WAP11..I later took it back when I couldn't set it up to do what I wanted
it
> to do) that I actually need *two* WAP11's to do this.
>
> Is this true? If not, how do I set up a WAP11 to work as a repeater with
> BEFW11S4?
>
> I've called Linksys tech support (some phone-droid in India) and they also
> told me I needed two WAP11's...that the WAP11 won't communicate with my
> BEFW11S4 unless it's hard-wired to the unit. I find this hard to
> understand. In essence, I have to *bypass* the wireless function of my
> BEFW11S4 by setting it up with one WAP11, then set up *another* WAP11 to
act
> as a repeater for the first WAP11.
>
> This just doesn't seem right. I talked to the resident guru on wireless
> networks at Altex electronics and it didn't sound right to him either. He
> said he's done this with D-Link equipment with no problems and can't see
why
> it shouldn't work with Linksys equipment.
>
> What's the scoop on this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Look at using the WET11 from linksys. It will make the wireless connection
from your router. Then in turn wire it to your AP.

"Banister Stairwell" <afganistan@bananastan.com> wrote in message
> Here's my setup...
>
> My cable modem is connected to a BEFW11S4 (ver. 3) wireless access point
> router, which in turn is connected to a WSB24 wireless signal booster. I
> have good coverage through most of the house, except now my wife wants to
> use her laptop out on the patio on the opposite side of the house. There
is
> still a signal out on the patio, but it is extremely weak. Sometimes it
> drops out entirely.
>
> I was led to believe that I could set up *one* WAP11 as a repeater with
the
> BEFW11S4 to get better coverage. I later learned (after I purchased a
> WAP11..I later took it back when I couldn't set it up to do what I wanted
it
> to do) that I actually need *two* WAP11's to do this.
>
> Is this true? If not, how do I set up a WAP11 to work as a repeater with
> BEFW11S4?
>
> I've called Linksys tech support (some phone-droid in India) and they also
> told me I needed two WAP11's...that the WAP11 won't communicate with my
> BEFW11S4 unless it's hard-wired to the unit. I find this hard to
> understand. In essence, I have to *bypass* the wireless function of my
> BEFW11S4 by setting it up with one WAP11, then set up *another* WAP11 to
act
> as a repeater for the first WAP11.
>
> This just doesn't seem right. I talked to the resident guru on wireless
> networks at Altex electronics and it didn't sound right to him either. He
> said he's done this with D-Link equipment with no problems and can't see
why
> it shouldn't work with Linksys equipment.
>
> What's the scoop on this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No you need two. One for a client, you hook them together, then the other
one is an AP on a different channel. I am not sure if your AP supports WDS,
if it did you could use a WDS AP as both a Client and an AP. Unfortunately,
both AP's need to be WDS for it to work.

Michael

Jeremy Jones wrote:
> Look at using the WET11 from linksys. It will make the wireless connection
> from your router. Then in turn wire it to your AP.

Hi Jeremy,

Have you tried this yourself? It seems right but before buying I would
like it to be confirmed.

Anyone can confirm that?

Thanks a lot.

Davide.

"Jeremy Jones" <jjones@kvnet.org> wrote in message
> Look at using the WET11 from linksys. It will make the wireless
connection
> from your router. Then in turn wire it to your AP.

I checked out the WET11 on the Linksys website and, from what I gather, it
plugs into either the wireless router or the WAP11 AP and acts as an
interface between the wireless router and the WAP11, correct?

That's still an extra piece of equipment that I have to buy to use the WAP11
as a repeater with my BEFW11S4. It's too bad there isn't a firmware update
that would enable the WAP11 to communicate with the BEFW11S4 wireless
router/access point (if that's even possible).

It still seems silly to me to have to buy an extra piece of equipment in
order for the WAP11 to communicate with the wireless router.

Oh, well...

Thanks again to all for the help.