128 Mb SDRAM PC133 Kingmax
SB Live! Value
8x/4x/32x Sony CD-RW
10x Actima DVD-ROM
6.4 Gb Quantum Fireball, 5400 RPM, ATA33
20 Gb Seagate, 7200 RPM, ATA66
100/10 Intel NIC
Windows ME

I just put this system together about 2-3 weeks ago. When I originally put it together I had a problem booting up (This was fixed by removing the bit of plastic over the heat glue on the heatsink... rather embarrasing mistake :). Anyway after I installed everything I fired up a 3D game, this, to my delight, ran like a dream. It was only a week ago that my problems arose.

On Sunday (a week ago) I was playing Elite Force when I got called away for a few hours. I had left Elite Forces running in my haste to leave. Once I got back I continued my game only to find that the textures were not appearing quite right. Certain textures would appear and disappear, or a hug triangle section of the wall would show the wrong texture. At first I assumed that something had buggered up the display and it'd be fix once I reboot. I assumed wrong.
I tried reinstalling the detonator drivers (3.31 & 3.47), but to no avail.

I found out that this problem occured in other games aa well, ones that I had been running fine the day before. I tried a number of this then that didn't work. I tried updateing the bios on the video card, updating the bios on the m/board. I installed the latest Direct X (7.0a & 8.0), the latest Detonator Drivers (7.17). I used the original drivers for the vidcard, I installed the Via 4 in 1 driver. I even reinstalled WinME.

Whenever I was trying to detect the card it was only detecting it as a Standard Graphics Adapter. I had to force it to use the drivers for the card. But I do remember that it detected the card at teh start and after I re-installed WinME.

After all this I figured that it was the memory on the Video Card. So I took it back to where I go it and I was told nothing was wrong with it. Unfortunately they would show me how they tested it and I neglected to ask how they came to that conclusion (silly me).

But now I'm thinking that it's to do with AGP or the KT133 chipset. I have been told that this problem was probably cause by the Powersaver features in the bios. But now I'm not sure where to go from here.

Has anyone come across this problem???

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I might be totally wrong here but it does sound like a heat problem. I have had stuff like this happpen to me in the past with a video card and it was do to heat.

Why do I use LINUX ? Cause its the BEST OS
Why do I use Windows? Cause its the BEST Nintendo..

Diablo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Heat could be the problem..
by the way, what is your PSU rating? (250 or 300+ W) it can be a power problem too.
If have had similar problems in the beginning with my KT7 and GForce2. Added some extra fans to my system and card and everything is stable now...

:cool: Visit me at <A HREF="http://casemod.tripod.com" target="_new">http://casemod.tripod.com</A> :cool:

Christian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm currently using a 250W PS

and I have a fan that is sucking air out of the case near the CPU (Althought it wasn't until last night that I realised that i had had it in backwards and it was sucking air in)

Christian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok I'm still having problems.

I got my hands on a 300W PS and I connected it all up and fired up my system. I then proceeded to removed ALL drivers and programs that had to do with my Video card. I rebooted and lo and behold the card was detected as a Windfaste Geforce2 GTS. That is a good thing since it was no longer detecting as a Standard VGA Adapter. I installed the drivers I got from the CD that came with the card. Then I loaded Carmageddon 2. No luck... them textures are still fudged.

So I went to install the Nvidia Detonator Drivers. And here's where it got interesting. It told me that it couldn't find the Winfast Geforce2 drivers when I was trying to install the Nvidia drivers... So I installed teh Standard VGA Drivers.. but it gave the same message. So I rebooted and when it started to load Windows it seemed to freeze in text mode just before the window splash screen appears. But the HDD was going hard accessing something. I rebooted and tried it again, same thing. I tried it again and this time I played witha few BIOS settings. This time it went into Safe mode. So I decided to remove the video drives and let it detect it normally when windows loaded up. Same thing happened again. This time I didn't do anything I just let it go for a bit. Then I heard a windows exclamations sound. This puzzled me as it was still displaying the system configuration on the screen. I hit enter and heard my start up sound.

So the drivers had really fudged up go.. to the point that it would swap into graphics mode. I booted into safemode and recovered my previous settings using System Restore. Yes people it DOES actually work! :)

So now I'm still stuck inthe same position. The textures are still appearing and disappearing. I'm pretty much all out of ideas. I've been throught the Geforce2 FAQ AND the Abit KT7 FAQ, and I've got nothing.

So If any one can help it'd be much appreciated :)

BTW Apologies if I'm a bit too wordy. :)

Cirrocco

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can offer no help as to why this is happening to you, however, my solution is: take it back man, just take the card back from whence it came.
I feel for ya- i went through the Voodoo5-running-in-PCI33-mode not to long ago.
I took it back, no problems since! (knock-on-wood).

Y0u 7h1nk 7h@7 y0u c@n fr0n7 wh3n r3v31@710n c0m35?

Cirrocco

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you honestly believe them?
I'd talk them into an exchange, and if they keep saying "no", then keep pestering them until they cave. ;)

Y0u 7h1nk 7h@7 y0u c@n fr0n7 wh3n r3v31@710n c0m35?

Christian

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hell no. They wouldn't let me watch them test it... so I'm going to test it in another machine myself and then come back to them.

TazMo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like your videocard is broke. Take it back. I am assuming you've tried another video card in your system to be sure. Take the whole box in and explain your exact problem. If they don't want to help you you may be screwed. If it's a retail boxed version you may be able to get something through LeadTek.