still can't get control panel to open

June 30, 2005 11:37:58 PM

I am having a problem with not being to open control panel. When I try
to open it I get an error message stating that an erro has occured and
do I wish to send it to microsoft. I click no and then get the message
explorer.exe and shell32.dll had errors.
I have been able to isolate this to Norton Internet Security 2005.
If I don't have NIS2005 installed control panel opens as expected. But
as soon as I install NIS2005 control panel becomes a problem again.

Surely someone else has come across this same problem.
Any offers of help appreciated.
TIA

More about : control panel open

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:37:59 PM

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message news:V3Pwe.310$8z6.2911@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
>I am having a problem with not being to open control panel. When I try to open it I get an error message stating that an erro has
>occured and do I wish to send it to microsoft. I click no and then get the message explorer.exe and shell32.dll had errors.
> I have been able to isolate this to Norton Internet Security 2005.
> If I don't have NIS2005 installed control panel opens as expected. But as soon as I install NIS2005 control panel becomes a
> problem again.
>
> Surely someone else has come across this same problem.
> Any offers of help appreciated.
> TIA
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:37:59 PM

It sound to me like you have a corupted control Panel executable file. Have
you try to type control panel at the run command? You might want to copy
somebody control panel executable file onto a disk and copy it back into it's
path.

"ricardo" wrote:

> I am having a problem with not being to open control panel. When I try
> to open it I get an error message stating that an erro has occured and
> do I wish to send it to microsoft. I click no and then get the message
> explorer.exe and shell32.dll had errors.
> I have been able to isolate this to Norton Internet Security 2005.
> If I don't have NIS2005 installed control panel opens as expected. But
> as soon as I install NIS2005 control panel becomes a problem again.
>
> Surely someone else has come across this same problem.
> Any offers of help appreciated.
> TIA

Related resources
July 1, 2005 1:13:46 PM

ricardo wrote:
> I am having a problem with not being to open control panel. When I try
> to open it I get an error message stating that an erro has occured and
> do I wish to send it to microsoft. I click no and then get the message
> explorer.exe and shell32.dll had errors.
> I have been able to isolate this to Norton Internet Security 2005.
> If I don't have NIS2005 installed control panel opens as expected. But
> as soon as I install NIS2005 control panel becomes a problem again.
>
> Surely someone else has come across this same problem.
> Any offers of help appreciated.
> TIA
I have tried replacing control.exe but this hasn't helped.
Can you delete all the windows prefetch files.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 3:42:38 AM

"ricardo" wrote:
>I am having a problem with not being to open control panel. When I
try

>to open it I get an error message stating that an erro has occured
and

>do I wish to send it to microsoft. I click no and then get the
message

>explorer.exe and shell32.dll had errors.
>I have been able to isolate this to Norton Internet Security 2005.
>If I don’t have NIS2005 installed control panel opens as
>expected. But
>as soon as I install NIS2005 control panel becomes a problem again.
>
>Surely someone else has come across this same problem.
>Any offers of help appreciated.
>TIA
Greetings ricardo,
Just wondering if you have resolved your problem?
If possible could you post the exact Error Message you are getting
verbatim and please leave nothing out?
Shell32.dll errors are very difficult to track down. They usually mean
there is a conflict. In this case I would say probably a conflict with
Explorer and one of the NIS 2005 Plugins. But without the exact
message it’s going to be difficult to track down.
Please post back and let us know.
Best regards,
ultra_classic :)

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-control-pan...