browser redirected -- malware or glitch?

Tags:
  • Browsers
  • Windows XP
June 30, 2005 11:25:32 PM

For several weeks, a single Web site that I try to go to, www.webdate.com,
using IE6/XP (both current) is being redirected to google.com. No other Web
site seems to be affected. The webmaster at the site in question just
answered an e-mail confirming that the site is up and running normally. So
much for my love life :-)

This behavior occurs in Opera 8 as well. I'm bounced to google.com. The
behavior also occurs in both browsers when I try to address the site by its
IP address instead of its URL.

I tried playing around with some extensions to the URL -- typing in
www.webdate.com/ncr, for example. In IE, I get the browser's 404 message
that includes a link to the base URL to try again. If I click on that
offered link to the webdate home page, it's back to google.

In Opera, it looks like the browser is putting up a page for me from the
remote server with a 404 message instead of generating the 404 message
locally at my computer. If I try the same address with the /ncr extension,
the 404 message says /ncr was not found on "this server," along with an
announcement of the Apache version, the site's URL and the port number.

But in both browsers, if I enter www.webdate.com/index in the address line,
it's off to google again. Looks like any request for a real page at the site
is redirected -- but redirected by my computer/router or by the remote site?

The hosts file appears benign; a long list of adware sites all redirected to
localhost. Spyware and virus scans are negative.

Same behavior (IE only) on a second computer also on the local network.

I'm behind a wireless router to the Internet, WEP, SSID broadcasting off,
MAC address limits on wireless connections. No routing table specified; one
port forwarded to my computer, which is also firewalled. Nothing pertinent I
can see in my firewall settings.

Hijack This returned a few items I wasn't familiar with, but I checked them
out and they seemed benign.

Any suggested next steps would be appreciated. Is there any way to figure
out whether I'm being redirected from the requested site to google or
whether the request is actually leaving my computer (or router) aimed at
google? Any freeware or shareware tools that might help figure this out? Or
are there some things I should have already checked but didn't mention
above?

Thanks.

More about : browser redirected malware glitch

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:39:09 PM

oops...posted in the wrong group. Apologies.

"Hogyu" <nothing@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> For several weeks, a single Web site that I try to go to, www.webdate.com,
> using IE6/XP (both current) is being redirected to google.com. No other
> Web site seems to be affected. The webmaster at the site in question just
> answered an e-mail confirming that the site is up and running normally. So
> much for my love life :-)
>
> This behavior occurs in Opera 8 as well. I'm bounced to google.com. The
> behavior also occurs in both browsers when I try to address the site by
> its IP address instead of its URL.
>
> I tried playing around with some extensions to the URL -- typing in
> www.webdate.com/ncr, for example. In IE, I get the browser's 404 message
> that includes a link to the base URL to try again. If I click on that
> offered link to the webdate home page, it's back to google.
>
> In Opera, it looks like the browser is putting up a page for me from the
> remote server with a 404 message instead of generating the 404 message
> locally at my computer. If I try the same address with the /ncr extension,
> the 404 message says /ncr was not found on "this server," along with an
> announcement of the Apache version, the site's URL and the port number.
>
> But in both browsers, if I enter www.webdate.com/index in the address
> line, it's off to google again. Looks like any request for a real page at
> the site is redirected -- but redirected by my computer/router or by the
> remote site?
>
> The hosts file appears benign; a long list of adware sites all redirected
> to localhost. Spyware and virus scans are negative.
>
> Same behavior (IE only) on a second computer also on the local network.
>
> I'm behind a wireless router to the Internet, WEP, SSID broadcasting off,
> MAC address limits on wireless connections. No routing table specified;
> one port forwarded to my computer, which is also firewalled. Nothing
> pertinent I can see in my firewall settings.
>
> Hijack This returned a few items I wasn't familiar with, but I checked
> them out and they seemed benign.
>
> Any suggested next steps would be appreciated. Is there any way to figure
> out whether I'm being redirected from the requested site to google or
> whether the request is actually leaving my computer (or router) aimed at
> google? Any freeware or shareware tools that might help figure this out?
> Or are there some things I should have already checked but didn't mention
> above?
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 11:42:29 AM

since you are using wireless are you using a notebook if so i would
go down to the nearest starbucks etc.. and see if the problem still
exists . Since you are using an IP address and still getting
redirected it is very odd?

What IP are you using?

Wayne

!