moving files from one partition to another

graham

I have a laptop with 40gb of hardrive space when i purchased it someone had
already partitoned the drive. My C: drive is now full i need to move my music
and my pictures across to the other drive. if i cut and paste will the short
cuts in the start menu know where i have moved it to if not how do i do this

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 04:36:03 -0700, graham wrote:

> I have a laptop with 40gb of hardrive space when i purchased it someone had
> already partitoned the drive. My C: drive is now full i need to move my music
> and my pictures across to the other drive. if i cut and paste will the short
> cuts in the start menu know where i have moved it to if not how do i do this

Are the My Music and My Picture folders still inside of My Documents? If
yes, they will move right along with My Documents. Right click on My
Documents and select Properties. On the pages that appear, click the Move
button and follow the onscreen prompts.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Graham

One doesn't cut and paste files to another location.. the term is 'drag and
drop'..

Moving music and pictures is easy enough.. you just drag and drop or use the
copy/move facility afforded by the right click drop down menus..

Moving programs from one partition to another is not so easy.. if you have
the original installation media, it is best to uninstall from one partition
and re-install to another..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"graham" <graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop with 40gb of hardrive space when i purchased it someone had
> already partitoned the drive. My C: drive is now full i need to move my
> music
> and my pictures across to the other drive. if i cut and paste will the
> short
> cuts in the start menu know where i have moved it to if not how do i do
> this

Graham,

This procedure will relocate the My Documents and it's sub-folders.

Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147

In case you want to retain the My Documents folder location, but want to
relocate the My Music and My Pictures, try this:

Type %userprofile%\My Documents in Start/Run
Right-click the My Pictures folder and choose "Cut"
Open the destination drive (say F:\) and right-click, choose "Paste"

Not only the folder is moved, but also the User Shell Folders for My
Pictures folder is updated in the registry (this is what you want).

How to redirect Special folders in Windows XP:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/redirectfolders.htm

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message...

> Not only the folder is moved, but also the User Shell Folders for My
> Pictures folder is updated in the registry (this is what you want).
>
> How to redirect Special folders in Windows XP:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/redirectfolders.html

If you don't mind me dropping in....

I'm not sure I understand why the big to-do over cleaning out some
folders full of data. Why can one not simply copy and paste the
folder to the drive letter behind the partition, verify the integrity of
it's contents afterward, then simply delete the files on C: ??

After this, couldn't one simply browse to either side of the partition
for storing and/or seeking past and future files?

TIA,

DM

David,

Simply moving the files to a different partition will definitely help.
However, programs continue to save their files in the original shell folder
path. For example, WMP10 rips CDs and saves the WMA/MP3 files to the
%userprofile%'s My Music folder, as the shell folder path is not changed.
(as per your method)

This is just an example.

--

"David Morgan (MAMS)" <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote in message

> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message...
>
>> Not only the folder is moved, but also the User Shell Folders for My
>> Pictures folder is updated in the registry (this is what you want).
>>
>> How to redirect Special folders in Windows XP:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/redirectfolders.html
>

> If you don't mind me dropping in....
>
> I'm not sure I understand why the big to-do over cleaning out some
> folders full of data. Why can one not simply copy and paste the
> folder to the drive letter behind the partition, verify the integrity of
> it's contents afterward, then simply delete the files on C: ??
>
> After this, couldn't one simply browse to either side of the partition
> for storing and/or seeking past and future files?
>

> TIA,
>
> DM

TRENDING THREADS