Need help choosing GeForce 2 Ultra

nyteskyy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I want to get a GeForce 2 Ultra, but wasn't sure in the Creative Labs 3-D Annihilator 2 Ultra or Guillemot 3-D Prophet II Ultra had any advantage over the other. Or should I just hold off and wait for the NV20? Thanks for any suggestions.

G

Wait for the NV20. The high price you pay for the Ultra will be wasted when the NV20 comes out in a month or two. The NV20 is supposed to kick the Ultra's butt.

G

I've just upgraded from a Creative Geforce 2 to the Creative Geforce 2 Ultra and I was VERY impressed with the performance ! I've had 4 Creative cards starting with the TNT2 and I've never had any problems with the drivers or the cards. On the flip side though they are alot of money and the NV20 should be tonnes faster so if you've got a reasonable graphics card I'd wait for the NV20 :)

Sihs

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Does Tom have any reports about the NV20? I would like to know when it's coming out and what's it capable of.
Thanks.

G

looking at geforce ultra, I would say the NV20 will be very expensive. May be they will come out with a low end, middle and high end version, where high end version will be like today's ultra and low end will be mx. Im guessing that the price for the NV20's will be around $180-$600.

G

Does anyone knows some more description about this NV20? I am also very interested in it, but lack of info.

G

Well I don't know much about the NV20, but remember how Nvidia kept talking about how incredibly revolutionary the NV10 chip was going to be? Well that chip was christened the GeForce 256 and it ended up being all that and more. So if Nvidia says this will be the next big thing I'd beleve it.

Hasse

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, we've all seen what memory problems can do to a Graphics chip. The GTS performs rather poorly compared to what the GPU really can do. Just because the memory bandwith ain't humongous enough. Still my card, the Gainward Cardexpert GeForce2 ULTRA/500 which runs at 500 mhz mem clock (2x250) is not fast enough, overclocking the memory to 520+ gives better performance.... Still if Nvidia do something smart like ATI did with the RADEON cards, hey who knows.. :)

TRENDING THREADS