Upgrading 98 to XP Pro

Hi there,

I am currently running Win 98SE. I have just got XP Pro, and inserted
the disc to install, and was told that my current version of Windows
doesn't support XP! Eh??? Also, can I just upgrade using this, or do
I need to do a clean install - which I don't really want to do??

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
chandelirious

There are three types of XP Pro CD's.. the types bought in a sealed blue box
are known as Full Retail or Upgrade Retail.. the third type is called OEM
and is considerably cheaper to buy..

Unfortunately, the OEM type can't be used to upgrade.. the only option is to
clean install..

Your problems may not end there.. depending on the age and specifications of
your present system and peripheral devices, XP may not even run on it..

Before continuing, go to this website for instructions on how to determine
that your system will support XP..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advisor.mspx

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"chandelirious" <chandelirious.1rft1p@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Hi there,
>
> I am currently running Win 98SE. I have just got XP Pro, and inserted
> the disc to install, and was told that my current version of Windows
> doesn't support XP! Eh??? Also, can I just upgrade using this, or do
> I need to do a clean install - which I don't really want to do??
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>

> --
> chandelirious

I suggest you do a clean installation, because somethings might not work
after upgrading. So you best bet is to do a clean installation.

"chandelirious" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am currently running Win 98SE. I have just got XP Pro, and inserted
> the disc to install, and was told that my current version of Windows
> doesn't support XP! Eh??? Also, can I just upgrade using this, or do
> I need to do a clean install - which I don't really want to do??
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>

> --
> chandelirious

Hi

Please see if the following articles help:

"HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064

"HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to
Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316639

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

chandelirious wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am currently running Win 98SE. I have just got XP Pro, and inserted
> the disc to install, and was told that my current version of Windows
> doesn't support XP! Eh??? Also, can I just upgrade using this, or do
> I need to do a clean install - which I don't really want to do??
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

No, what the message actually said was "This version of Windows does not
support upgrading", the version of Windows being referred to was the XP CD
*not* 98.

An OEM version *CANNOT* upgrade. If you still wish to use it then, yes, you
must format the drive as that is your only option.

TRENDING THREADS