Upgrading 98 to XP Pro

Hi there,

I am currently running Win 98SE. I have just got XP Pro, and inserted
the disc to install, and was told that my current version of Windows
doesn't support XP! Eh??? Also, can I just upgrade using this, or do
I need to do a clean install - which I don't really want to do??

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
chandelirious
4 answers Last reply

    There are three types of XP Pro CD's.. the types bought in a sealed blue box
    are known as Full Retail or Upgrade Retail.. the third type is called OEM
    and is considerably cheaper to buy..

    Unfortunately, the OEM type can't be used to upgrade.. the only option is to
    clean install..

    Your problems may not end there.. depending on the age and specifications of
    your present system and peripheral devices, XP may not even run on it..

    Before continuing, go to this website for instructions on how to determine
    that your system will support XP..

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advisor.mspx

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "chandelirious" <chandelirious.1rft1p@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am currently running Win 98SE. I have just got XP Pro, and inserted
    > the disc to install, and was told that my current version of Windows
    > doesn't support XP! Eh??? Also, can I just upgrade using this, or do
    > I need to do a clean install - which I don't really want to do??
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >

    > --
    > chandelirious

    I suggest you do a clean installation, because somethings might not work
    after upgrading. So you best bet is to do a clean installation.

    "chandelirious" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am currently running Win 98SE. I have just got XP Pro, and inserted
    > the disc to install, and was told that my current version of Windows
    > doesn't support XP! Eh??? Also, can I just upgrade using this, or do
    > I need to do a clean install - which I don't really want to do??
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >

    > --
    > chandelirious

    Hi

    Please see if the following articles help:

    "HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
    Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064

    "HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to
    Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316639

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    chandelirious wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am currently running Win 98SE. I have just got XP Pro, and inserted
    > the disc to install, and was told that my current version of Windows
    > doesn't support XP! Eh??? Also, can I just upgrade using this, or do
    > I need to do a clean install - which I don't really want to do??
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    No, what the message actually said was "This version of Windows does not
    support upgrading", the version of Windows being referred to was the XP CD
    *not* 98.

    An OEM version *CANNOT* upgrade. If you still wish to use it then, yes, you
    must format the drive as that is your only option.

Support Windows XP