fastest card without fan?

G

this might be a strange question, but i am into quiet computers: what is currently the fastest AGP gfx card without a fan on the card ?

has to be supported by linux, but i guess all of them are now.

G

The only cards which do not use fan that I know about are some models of the GeForce 2 MX, the Matrox G450 and the Voodoo 3 2000 PCI (but I added a huge fan to mine).

G

You could try getting a big container of that none conduction liquid adn submerse your intire system. Use a small quit electric pump to push the liquid through a car radiator for to keep it room temp.

I wish I had some of that stuff, i'm crazy(or stupid) enough to try it.

Good Luck!

G

Hey,

GeforceMX, and the Earlier Voodoo3. Id recommend getting a fan anyways.

Timothy Stankus
One of the First AMD Athlon Users =)

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i've got a 3d prophet geforce 256, it's not the best out there but now that the geforce 2s are out they're not all that expensive. it's got a fan but you can't even here it over the power suply fan and hd's and other normal comp sounds.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You may not believe this, but that special ultra secret stuff that doesn't conduct and transfers heat so great is just pure water. Notice the PURE part, that is very important, because Pure water doesn't conduct at all, I have seen it used in military radar installations for cooling transmitters and such at very high power levels. Pure water doesn't mean the crap you buy at the store that is distilled or the stuff you can get at the water dispenser. Pure water has no contaminates such as carbon or silica or just extra hydrogen, get it, no Ions. It is specially made for cooling large power supplies and transmission amplifiers. No, I don't know where you can get it, but it can be got. It is called "Reagent Water". Take-Out Good Luck.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 11/29/00 05:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

true, pure water is electically non-conductive. but don't try using it yourself. the carbon dioxide in air reacts with air to produce carbonic acid, a nice supply of ions for easy conduction of electricity. I guarantee you those systems using water for cooling were totally airtight (just blow air through a solution with pH indicator in it, you'll see it turn slightly acidic because of the higher CO2 in your breath, or leave a basic solution out and watch it slowly turn neutral/very slightly acidic). If you just dip your computer in a bucket of pure water you'll fry it.

and I think other people were talking about a flouride solution which stays electrically neutral more readily. I'm not sure what exactly is in it (heck, i'm not sure it even had something to do with flourine).

G

Well the MSI GeForce2 MX card I'm currently using is pretty nice and it doesn't come with a fan.

Oh btw, I heard stories that by doing some resistor modding that I can turn the GF2 MX into a Quattro 2 MXR for further performance boost in CAD/3D apps, but I'm currently too busy to try it. So anyone here done that yet?