System Restore Question

June 30, 2005 12:27:27 PM

I began having a problem with the dial-up "connect to" function -- it was
disconnecting OK but I couldn't reopen the connection again for several
minutes afterward because the Properties window would show whenever I
clicked the ISP link.

So I tried to restore the system, but for the first time ever, any of the
restore points I try, all I get after it goes through the process is a
message "Could not restore to..." There are quite a few restore points and
none of them work.

First, what would cause this? Then, what should I do about it?

Thanks
Plueg
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:01:15 PM

Both: You might not have enough disk space

"Pflueger" wrote:

> I began having a problem with the dial-up "connect to" function -- it was
> disconnecting OK but I couldn't reopen the connection again for several
> minutes afterward because the Properties window would show whenever I
> clicked the ISP link.
>
> So I tried to restore the system, but for the first time ever, any of the
> restore points I try, all I get after it goes through the process is a
> message "Could not restore to..." There are quite a few restore points and
> none of them work.
>
> First, what would cause this? Then, what should I do about it?
>
> Thanks
> Plueg

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 3:45:05 PM

In addition, Restore Point Corruption can be caused by:

* Virus infection
* Spyware/Malware infection
* Improper shutdown
* Applications that interfere with the System Restore filter. In
particular, poorly written Anti Virus applications.
* Due to changes made to files on a system from another OS (in the
case of dual boot OS scenarios). Do to changes made to an System
Restore tracked file on a removable drive for a restore point while
the drive was connected to another machine.
* Do to manually modifying files located in the System Volume
Information folder on any drive/partition.

Solutions to these issues can be found here.
Keeping System Restore Healthy
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Pflueger wrote:
> I began having a problem with the dial-up "connect to"
> function -- it was disconnecting OK but I couldn't reopen
> the connection again for several minutes afterward
> because the Properties window would show whenever I
> clicked the ISP link.
>
> So I tried to restore the system, but for the first time
> ever, any of the restore points I try, all I get after it
> goes through the process is a message "Could not restore
> to..." There are quite a few restore points and none of
> them work.
>
> First, what would cause this? Then, what should I do
> about it?
>
> Thanks
> Plueg
June 30, 2005 6:56:26 PM

Hi

That error message would suggest that one or more SR files have become
corrupt somehow. You can try turning SR off/on, although you will
lose all existing checkpoints:

Right click on My Computer and select Properties>System Restore. Enable
'Turn off System Restore on all drives' - then reboot your PC. Go back into
SR and disable 'Turn off...' and then reboot again. After the second reboot
you should have one new checkpoint and SR should work properly after that.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in message
>I began having a problem with the dial-up "connect to" function -- it was
> disconnecting OK but I couldn't reopen the connection again for several
> minutes afterward because the Properties window would show whenever I
> clicked the ISP link.
>
> So I tried to restore the system, but for the first time ever, any of the
> restore points I try, all I get after it goes through the process is a
> message "Could not restore to..." There are quite a few restore points
> and
> none of them work.
>
> First, what would cause this? Then, what should I do about it?
>
> Thanks
> Plueg

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:02:50 PM

Hi Bert

A virus infection would be reported by the AV program to the user and
stating that the infection can't be rectified as the AV program wouldn't be
able to access that folder. A manual deletion is the only way round in that
case.

--

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> In addition, Restore Point Corruption can be caused by:
>
> * Virus infection
> * Spyware/Malware infection
> * Improper shutdown
> * Applications that interfere with the System Restore filter. In
> particular, poorly written Anti Virus applications.
> * Due to changes made to files on a system from another OS (in the case
> of dual boot OS scenarios). Do to changes made to an System Restore
> tracked file on a removable drive for a restore point while the drive was
> connected to another machine.
> * Do to manually modifying files located in the System Volume
> Information folder on any drive/partition.
>
> Solutions to these issues can be found here.
> Keeping System Restore Healthy
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> Pflueger wrote:
>> I began having a problem with the dial-up "connect to"
>> function -- it was disconnecting OK but I couldn't reopen
>> the connection again for several minutes afterward
>> because the Properties window would show whenever I
>> clicked the ISP link.
>>
>> So I tried to restore the system, but for the first time
>> ever, any of the restore points I try, all I get after it
>> goes through the process is a message "Could not restore
>> to..." There are quite a few restore points and none of
>> them work.
>>
>> First, what would cause this? Then, what should I do
>> about it?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Plueg

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:02:51 PM

Hi Will,

That's assuming they have an AV program running!

I do agree with you, and having that information would be very helpful
when suggesting a solution.

--

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi Bert
>
> A virus infection would be reported by the AV program to
> the user and stating that the infection can't be
> rectified as the AV program wouldn't be able to access
> that folder. A manual deletion is the only way round in
> that case.
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote
>> In addition, Restore Point Corruption can be caused by:
>>
>> * Virus infection
>> * Spyware/Malware infection
>> * Improper shutdown
>> * Applications that interfere with the System Restore
>> filter. In particular, poorly written Anti Virus
>> applications. * Due to changes made to files on a
>> system from another OS (in the case of dual boot OS
>> scenarios). Do to changes made to an System Restore
>> tracked file on a removable drive for a restore point
>> while the drive was connected to another machine. *
>> Do to manually modifying files located in the System
>> Volume Information folder on any drive/partition.
>>
>> Solutions to these issues can be found here.
>> Keeping System Restore Healthy
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> Pflueger wrote:
>>> I began having a problem with the dial-up "connect to"
>>> function -- it was disconnecting OK but I couldn't
>>> reopen the connection again for several minutes
>>> afterward because the Properties window would show
>>> whenever I clicked the ISP link.
>>>
>>> So I tried to restore the system, but for the first time
>>> ever, any of the restore points I try, all I get after
>>> it goes through the process is a message "Could not
>>> restore to..." There are quite a few restore points
>>> and none of them work.
>>>
>>> First, what would cause this? Then, what should I do
>>> about it?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Plueg
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:45:16 AM

Hi Bert

Everyone should have a real time AV program runing!!!

--

> Hi Will,
>
> That's assuming they have an AV program running!
>
> I do agree with you, and having that information would be very helpful
> when suggesting a solution.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Will Denny wrote:
>> Hi Bert
>>
>> A virus infection would be reported by the AV program to
>> the user and stating that the infection can't be
>> rectified as the AV program wouldn't be able to access
>> that folder. A manual deletion is the only way round in
>> that case.
>>
>> "Bert Kinney" wrote
>>> In addition, Restore Point Corruption can be caused by:
>>>
>>> * Virus infection
>>> * Spyware/Malware infection
>>> * Improper shutdown
>>> * Applications that interfere with the System Restore
>>> filter. In particular, poorly written Anti Virus
>>> applications. * Due to changes made to files on a
>>> system from another OS (in the case of dual boot OS
>>> scenarios). Do to changes made to an System Restore
>>> tracked file on a removable drive for a restore point
>>> while the drive was connected to another machine. *
>>> Do to manually modifying files located in the System
>>> Volume Information folder on any drive/partition.
>>>
>>> Solutions to these issues can be found here.
>>> Keeping System Restore Healthy
>>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>>> http://dts-l.org/

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:47:10 AM

Hi

Possible - good point. But that bould depend on the size of HD/Partition
and available space.

--

"Christopher Peart" <ChristopherPeart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C1F556D7-CABA-4CE5-8635-594E46D001BC@microsoft.com...