System Restore Question

I began having a problem with the dial-up "connect to" function -- it was
disconnecting OK but I couldn't reopen the connection again for several
minutes afterward because the Properties window would show whenever I
clicked the ISP link.

So I tried to restore the system, but for the first time ever, any of the
restore points I try, all I get after it goes through the process is a
message "Could not restore to..." There are quite a few restore points and
none of them work.

First, what would cause this? Then, what should I do about it?

Thanks
Plueg
7 answers Last reply
More about system restore question

    Both: You might not have enough disk space

    "Pflueger" wrote:

    > I began having a problem with the dial-up "connect to" function -- it was
    > disconnecting OK but I couldn't reopen the connection again for several
    > minutes afterward because the Properties window would show whenever I
    > clicked the ISP link.
    >
    > So I tried to restore the system, but for the first time ever, any of the
    > restore points I try, all I get after it goes through the process is a
    > message "Could not restore to..." There are quite a few restore points and
    > none of them work.
    >
    > First, what would cause this? Then, what should I do about it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Plueg

    In addition, Restore Point Corruption can be caused by:

    * Virus infection
    * Spyware/Malware infection
    * Improper shutdown
    * Applications that interfere with the System Restore filter. In
    particular, poorly written Anti Virus applications.
    * Due to changes made to files on a system from another OS (in the
    case of dual boot OS scenarios). Do to changes made to an System
    Restore tracked file on a removable drive for a restore point while
    the drive was connected to another machine.
    * Do to manually modifying files located in the System Volume
    Information folder on any drive/partition.

    Solutions to these issues can be found here.
    Keeping System Restore Healthy
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Pflueger wrote:
    > I began having a problem with the dial-up "connect to"
    > function -- it was disconnecting OK but I couldn't reopen
    > the connection again for several minutes afterward
    > because the Properties window would show whenever I
    > clicked the ISP link.
    >
    > So I tried to restore the system, but for the first time
    > ever, any of the restore points I try, all I get after it
    > goes through the process is a message "Could not restore
    > to..." There are quite a few restore points and none of
    > them work.
    >
    > First, what would cause this? Then, what should I do
    > about it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Plueg

    Hi

    That error message would suggest that one or more SR files have become
    corrupt somehow. You can try turning SR off/on, although you will
    lose all existing checkpoints:

    Right click on My Computer and select Properties>System Restore. Enable
    'Turn off System Restore on all drives' - then reboot your PC. Go back into
    SR and disable 'Turn off...' and then reboot again. After the second reboot
    you should have one new checkpoint and SR should work properly after that.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Pflueger" <phluge1@yaBLOODYhoot.com> wrote in message
    >I began having a problem with the dial-up "connect to" function -- it was
    > disconnecting OK but I couldn't reopen the connection again for several
    > minutes afterward because the Properties window would show whenever I
    > clicked the ISP link.
    >
    > So I tried to restore the system, but for the first time ever, any of the
    > restore points I try, all I get after it goes through the process is a
    > message "Could not restore to..." There are quite a few restore points
    > and
    > none of them work.
    >
    > First, what would cause this? Then, what should I do about it?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Plueg

    Hi Bert

    A virus infection would be reported by the AV program to the user and
    stating that the infection can't be rectified as the AV program wouldn't be
    able to access that folder. A manual deletion is the only way round in that
    case.

    --

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > In addition, Restore Point Corruption can be caused by:
    >
    > * Virus infection
    > * Spyware/Malware infection
    > * Improper shutdown
    > * Applications that interfere with the System Restore filter. In
    > particular, poorly written Anti Virus applications.
    > * Due to changes made to files on a system from another OS (in the case
    > of dual boot OS scenarios). Do to changes made to an System Restore
    > tracked file on a removable drive for a restore point while the drive was
    > connected to another machine.
    > * Do to manually modifying files located in the System Volume
    > Information folder on any drive/partition.
    >
    > Solutions to these issues can be found here.
    > Keeping System Restore Healthy
    > http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > Pflueger wrote:
    >> I began having a problem with the dial-up "connect to"
    >> function -- it was disconnecting OK but I couldn't reopen
    >> the connection again for several minutes afterward
    >> because the Properties window would show whenever I
    >> clicked the ISP link.
    >>
    >> So I tried to restore the system, but for the first time
    >> ever, any of the restore points I try, all I get after it
    >> goes through the process is a message "Could not restore
    >> to..." There are quite a few restore points and none of
    >> them work.
    >>
    >> First, what would cause this? Then, what should I do
    >> about it?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Plueg

    Hi Will,

    That's assuming they have an AV program running!

    I do agree with you, and having that information would be very helpful
    when suggesting a solution.

    --

    Will Denny wrote:
    > Hi Bert
    >
    > A virus infection would be reported by the AV program to
    > the user and stating that the infection can't be
    > rectified as the AV program wouldn't be able to access
    > that folder. A manual deletion is the only way round in
    > that case.
    >
    > "Bert Kinney" wrote
    >> In addition, Restore Point Corruption can be caused by:
    >>
    >> * Virus infection
    >> * Spyware/Malware infection
    >> * Improper shutdown
    >> * Applications that interfere with the System Restore
    >> filter. In particular, poorly written Anti Virus
    >> applications. * Due to changes made to files on a
    >> system from another OS (in the case of dual boot OS
    >> scenarios). Do to changes made to an System Restore
    >> tracked file on a removable drive for a restore point
    >> while the drive was connected to another machine. *
    >> Do to manually modifying files located in the System
    >> Volume Information folder on any drive/partition.
    >>
    >> Solutions to these issues can be found here.
    >> Keeping System Restore Healthy
    >> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >> http://dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> Pflueger wrote:
    >>> I began having a problem with the dial-up "connect to"
    >>> function -- it was disconnecting OK but I couldn't
    >>> reopen the connection again for several minutes
    >>> afterward because the Properties window would show
    >>> whenever I clicked the ISP link.
    >>>
    >>> So I tried to restore the system, but for the first time
    >>> ever, any of the restore points I try, all I get after
    >>> it goes through the process is a message "Could not
    >>> restore to..." There are quite a few restore points
    >>> and none of them work.
    >>>
    >>> First, what would cause this? Then, what should I do
    >>> about it?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Plueg

    Hi Bert

    Everyone should have a real time AV program runing!!!

    --

    > Hi Will,
    >
    > That's assuming they have an AV program running!
    >
    > I do agree with you, and having that information would be very helpful
    > when suggesting a solution.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >
    > Will Denny wrote:
    >> Hi Bert
    >>
    >> A virus infection would be reported by the AV program to
    >> the user and stating that the infection can't be
    >> rectified as the AV program wouldn't be able to access
    >> that folder. A manual deletion is the only way round in
    >> that case.
    >>
    >> "Bert Kinney" wrote
    >>> In addition, Restore Point Corruption can be caused by:
    >>>
    >>> * Virus infection
    >>> * Spyware/Malware infection
    >>> * Improper shutdown
    >>> * Applications that interfere with the System Restore
    >>> filter. In particular, poorly written Anti Virus
    >>> applications. * Due to changes made to files on a
    >>> system from another OS (in the case of dual boot OS
    >>> scenarios). Do to changes made to an System Restore
    >>> tracked file on a removable drive for a restore point
    >>> while the drive was connected to another machine. *
    >>> Do to manually modifying files located in the System
    >>> Volume Information folder on any drive/partition.
    >>>
    >>> Solutions to these issues can be found here.
    >>> Keeping System Restore Healthy
    >>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    >>> http://dts-l.org/

    Hi

    Possible - good point. But that bould depend on the size of HD/Partition
    and available space.

    --

    "Christopher Peart" <ChristopherPeart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:C1F556D7-CABA-4CE5-8635-594E46D001BC@microsoft.com...
    > Both: You might not have enough disk space
    >
    > "Pflueger" wrote:
    >
    >> I began having a problem with the dial-up "connect to" function -- it
    >> was
    >> disconnecting OK but I couldn't reopen the connection again for several
    >> minutes afterward because the Properties window would show whenever I
    >> clicked the ISP link.
    >>
    >> So I tried to restore the system, but for the first time ever, any of the
    >> restore points I try, all I get after it goes through the process is a
    >> message "Could not restore to..." There are quite a few restore points
    >> and
    >> none of them work.
    >>
    >> First, what would cause this? Then, what should I do about it?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Plueg

Internet Service Providers System Restore Windows XP