Actiontec Errors

I've been using an Actiontec USB wireless network for about a year
with few problems.

However I think neighbour has recently set up a wireless network &
our machines keep trying to talk to each other.

I keep getting "Data Frame Error - check wep settings" messages and
sometimes his log-in takes precedence over mine.

We're not accessing each other's networks at all but it is irritating
- is there anything I can do to stop this?

There are two separate problems here. One is the interference from your
neighbor's signal causing your Data Frame Errors. This is most likely
caused by both of you using the same channel or channels that are too close.
WiFi channels overlap. Adjacent channels, like 1 and 2, overlap by 80%.
Channels 1 and 5 overlap by 20%. You must use channels at least 5 numbers
away (like 1 and 6, or 6 and 11) to have no overlap at all. Some overlap is
OK, but none is better. Use NetStumbler software to discover what channels
your neighbors are using. Then set your router or access-point to use a
channel as far from your neighbors as you can. Most equipment comes with a
default of channel 1, 6, or 11. If you have neighbors using all 3 of those,
you might want to pick some other number. If your closest neighbor uses
channel 6, and slightly farther neighbor uses channel 1, then choose channel
3 since it overlaps less with the closer neighbor.

If your computer is logging on to your neighbor's network, then you need to
configure your computer to look for the specific SSID (name) of your
network. In Windows/XP this is done by establishing a preferred network.
If you and your neighbor have the same SSID (because neither of you changed
it from the manufacturer's default) then you should change the SSID of your
network.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CCT+