TECH: Help with Pac speed-up switching

I have a Ms. Pac-man that I want to make switchable between standard
speed and speed-up hack. I was thinking of installing a ZIF socket at
6F so I can just switch out the ROMS easily. Anyone have any better
ideas?
13 answers Last reply
More about tech speed switching

    Thought about it, but all I want is to switch speeds........

    Yes, buy Mike Doyle's 96-in-1 Pac kit and get all of that plus more. A
    little more expensive but a lot of fun and easier to switch between games.

    Pat D.

    Vintage Geek wrote:
    > I have a Ms. Pac-man that I want to make switchable between standard
    > speed and speed-up hack. I was thinking of installing a ZIF socket at
    > 6F so I can just switch out the ROMS easily. Anyone have any better
    > ideas?

    You could write a little menu, have it display at the top of the
    screen. Kind of like this:

    http://davesarcade.homestead.com/mspac.html

    I did that one 4 years ago, wasn't much interest in it so I dropped it.

    Use the "Cheat" Eprom.

    If you press player 1, it makes you invicible
    If you press player 2, it makes you speed-up.

    If you don't press anything, the game plays normally.

    If keeping the button pressed down continuously is a pain,
    I'm sure you can rig a switch to that button that you can
    flip on and off when you want.

    Good Luck,

    Steph
    www.HobbyRoms.com

    =====

    Vintage Geek wrote:
    > I have a Ms. Pac-man that I want to make switchable between standard
    > speed and speed-up hack. I was thinking of installing a ZIF socket at
    > 6F so I can just switch out the ROMS easily. Anyone have any better
    > ideas?

    I made one similar. when you drop in your coins, and it's on the "press
    start" screen, it has a menu that you can use to select normal, fast,
    cheat, pause allowed, etc. On bootleg romsets, where there is extra
    space, I put in the ability to change mapsets, (Ms Pac, Miss Pac Plus
    maps), combinations of them, as well as my own Pac-Man Plus like hack
    "Mode J" where the screen disappears after eating a certain number of
    pellets.

    However, like you mentioned, there wasn't much interest, so i dropped
    mine as well.

    I put mine on a bootleg board and put it on ebay. It sold for the
    ~$25.00 I started it at and the guy never bothered to send the money,
    which I wasn't to broken up about.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Yes, my pacman hi score board is like that. Both buttons and up or
    down to change speeds. No cheat mode.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I'd go with something much simpler and transparent.
    Like holding the joystick up when starting a game to switch to fast,
    and holding down to switch back to normal.
    Skip the invincibility cheat... the novelty of that wears off fast.

    Matt

    "D Widel" <dwidel@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1126657303.771696.22930@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > You could write a little menu, have it display at the top of the
    > screen. Kind of like this:
    >
    > http://davesarcade.homestead.com/mspac.html
    >
    > I did that one 4 years ago, wasn't much interest in it so I dropped it.

  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Ah, great minds think alike.... :-)
    But how about a software-only version to replace the classic "speed-up" chip?
    I know there's no money in it.... but it's all for fun, right? ;-)

    Matt

    "D Widel" <dwidel@gmail.com> wrote
    > Yes, my pacman hi score board is like that. Both buttons and up or
    > down to change speeds. No cheat mode.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    get a rom with double the capacity of the one you want to replace. Burn the
    standard image in the first half. Burn the speed-up in the second. Use a
    toggle switch to change the highest address line from 0v to +5v.

    Or if you have both roms, bend out the ce on both of them, then piggy back
    them and use a toggle to select which chip you want.

    "Vintage Geek" <daniel@mosmeyer.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Ms. Pac-man that I want to make switchable between standard
    > speed and speed-up hack. I was thinking of installing a ZIF socket at
    > 6F so I can just switch out the ROMS easily. Anyone have any better
    > ideas?

  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Not when you're unemployed ;)
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Can someone recommend a decent rom burner? I have been debating
    getting one for a while. I guess now is as good a time as any.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I've debating getting a rom burner....I gues now is as good a time as
    any. Anyone suggest a decent one?

Video Games