TECH: Help with Pac speed-up switching

Last response: in Video Games
September 13, 2005 11:47:08 AM

I have a Ms. Pac-man that I want to make switchable between standard
speed and speed-up hack. I was thinking of installing a ZIF socket at
6F so I can just switch out the ROMS easily. Anyone have any better
ideas?
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 2:12:05 PM

Thought about it, but all I want is to switch speeds........
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 6:51:25 PM

Yes, buy Mike Doyle's 96-in-1 Pac kit and get all of that plus more. A
little more expensive but a lot of fun and easier to switch between games.

Pat D.

Vintage Geek wrote:
> I have a Ms. Pac-man that I want to make switchable between standard
> speed and speed-up hack. I was thinking of installing a ZIF socket at
> 6F so I can just switch out the ROMS easily. Anyone have any better
> ideas?

September 13, 2005 9:21:43 PM

You could write a little menu, have it display at the top of the
screen. Kind of like this:

http://davesarcade.homestead.com/mspac.html

I did that one 4 years ago, wasn't much interest in it so I dropped it.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 11:42:25 PM

Use the "Cheat" Eprom.

If you press player 1, it makes you invicible
If you press player 2, it makes you speed-up.

If you don't press anything, the game plays normally.

If keeping the button pressed down continuously is a pain,
I'm sure you can rig a switch to that button that you can
flip on and off when you want.

Good Luck,

Steph
www.HobbyRoms.com

=====

Vintage Geek wrote:
> I have a Ms. Pac-man that I want to make switchable between standard
> speed and speed-up hack. I was thinking of installing a ZIF socket at
> 6F so I can just switch out the ROMS easily. Anyone have any better
> ideas?

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 1:13:59 PM

I made one similar. when you drop in your coins, and it's on the "press
start" screen, it has a menu that you can use to select normal, fast,
cheat, pause allowed, etc. On bootleg romsets, where there is extra
space, I put in the ability to change mapsets, (Ms Pac, Miss Pac Plus
maps), combinations of them, as well as my own Pac-Man Plus like hack
"Mode J" where the screen disappears after eating a certain number of
pellets.

However, like you mentioned, there wasn't much interest, so i dropped
mine as well.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 2:53:32 PM

I put mine on a bootleg board and put it on ebay. It sold for the
~$25.00 I started it at and the guy never bothered to send the money,
which I wasn't to broken up about.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 4:21:38 PM

Yes, my pacman hi score board is like that. Both buttons and up or
down to change speeds. No cheat mode.
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 6:57:01 PM

I'd go with something much simpler and transparent.
Like holding the joystick up when starting a game to switch to fast,
and holding down to switch back to normal.
Skip the invincibility cheat... the novelty of that wears off fast.

Matt

"D Widel" <dwidel@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1126657303.771696.22930@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> You could write a little menu, have it display at the top of the
> screen. Kind of like this:
>
> http://davesarcade.homestead.com/mspac.html
>
> I did that one 4 years ago, wasn't much interest in it so I dropped it.

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 8:03:42 PM

Ah, great minds think alike.... :-)
But how about a software-only version to replace the classic "speed-up" chip?
I know there's no money in it.... but it's all for fun, right? ;-)

Matt

"D Widel" <dwidel@gmail.com> wrote
> Yes, my pacman hi score board is like that. Both buttons and up or
> down to change speeds. No cheat mode.
September 15, 2005 2:59:23 AM

get a rom with double the capacity of the one you want to replace. Burn the
standard image in the first half. Burn the speed-up in the second. Use a
toggle switch to change the highest address line from 0v to +5v.

Or if you have both roms, bend out the ce on both of them, then piggy back
them and use a toggle to select which chip you want.

"Vintage Geek" <daniel@mosmeyer.net> wrote in message
> I have a Ms. Pac-man that I want to make switchable between standard
> speed and speed-up hack. I was thinking of installing a ZIF socket at
> 6F so I can just switch out the ROMS easily. Anyone have any better
> ideas?

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 10:52:19 PM

Not when you're unemployed ;)
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 11:19:05 AM

Can someone recommend a decent rom burner? I have been debating
getting one for a while. I guess now is as good a time as any.
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 5:24:19 PM

I've debating getting a rom burner....I gues now is as good a time as
any. Anyone suggest a decent one?
!