Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

I Think I broke my laptop. asus K55A-BBL4

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
November 20, 2012 9:33:44 AM

I Think I broke my laptop. asus K55A-BBL4

I picked up this notebook with a cracked screen (for less than the CPU alone has sold recently on eBay) and was attempting to replace the screen when it died on me.

To give you an idea of what I know about computers.

I build desktop systems and buy and sell computers and computer parts, so I have a bit of tech knowledge.
However I have recently started trying to work on some broken laptops and am not having much luck at all with repairing those broken laptops.


Here is a bit more info on the laptop and what happened.

I had been using this computer for a while with the screen removed and plugged into an external monitor.

When the screen came in, I tried to hook it up but was only able to get the backlight to work but was unable to get anything to display on the laptop screen.

After unhooking the screen and attempting to blow out the cable that connects to the screen with compressed air, then connecting it back up again and turning it on, the computer stopped responding to the power button.

I think what possibly happened was a short circuit caused by moisture from the compressed air or a short caused by an improperly aligned connection.

if you have another theory please share it.

my two questions are

Is there any way I can reset this computer and get it to turn on again?

If I am correct and the damage was caused by a short in the cable, what part was most likely damaged.

I would really love to get this thing working again, it’s a powerful little computer and Its got the i5-3210M CPU
here is a site with specs.

http://laptoping.com/asus-k55a-bbl4.html

Asus K55A-BBL4 Specifications

Display: 15.6-inch 1366 x 768, LED backlight, glossy
Processor: 3rd Generation Intel Core i5-3210M dual core, 2.5-3.1GHz clock speed, 3MB L3 cache
Graphics: Intel HD 4000 integrated
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1,600MHz, expandable to 8GB thanks to 2 slots
Storage: 500GB 5,400rpm HDD
Optical Drive: DVD burner
Webcam: 0.3MP, with microphone
Audio: Stereo speakers by Altec Lansing
Network: Wireless N, Gigabit LAN, no Bluetooth
Input: Chiclet keyboard with numeric pad, multi-touch one-piece trackpad
Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, HDMI, VGA, multi-in-one media card reader
Battery: 6-cell 4700mAh 50Whr
Dimensions: 1.3″ (1.00-1.25″ more precisely) x 14.9″ x 9.9″
Weight: 5.6 pounds
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
Warranty: 1-year

The only thing about those specs that is wrong (that I know of) is the max memory is 16gb not 8gb, it can run, and was running fine at full speed, 2 *
8gb sticks of ddr3 1600 memory for 16gb of total system memory.
a b D Laptop
November 20, 2012 2:28:13 PM

Why would you buy a notebook with a cracked screen? Damn sad.
Anyway. Your short circuit theory isn't bad. But it could just be a crap laptop too... If it came with a cracked screen, chances are, there are other issues with it too. How did it run when you used it with the external monitor?
November 20, 2012 7:17:16 PM

I always look forward to the responses I get here on tomshardware.com
Some are great and others seem really negative and are not much help.
I am not sure what calling it a crap laptop accomplishes, and i don't think the laptop is to blame for its previous user dropping it, or this users inexperience with working on laptops.


I am Sorry you must have missed part of my post.
here it is again.

I picked up this notebook with a cracked screen (for less than the CPU alone has sold recently on eBay)

So that is why i bought it, a notebook with a third generation i5 cpu only a few months old that had already been verified to work perfectly with an external monitor for $150.

The replacement screen was $50 shipped to Hawaii.

It ran great for almost two weeks before i tried to replace the screen.

It actually beat out an i5-2500k on a ramdisk speed test i ran right before I killed it.
It also ran dos / winpe boot usb programs faster than any computer I have ever seen, and i build custom computers, so that is saying a lot.

So you can toss your crap notebook theory.

But thanks anyway, I am sure your did best to help me with your helpful suggestions and constructive ideas.
Related resources
November 20, 2012 8:00:12 PM

If you know what you are doing and know what you are purchasing - and at a price that balances/aknowledges any risks - then there is absolutely no problem! When this system works you do get some fantastic bargains. The laptop specs are pretty decent and it does look like you got this at a greatly reduced price. The obvious risks - how was the damaged caused? the risk of it being dropped? the risk of any knock-on damage to the main unit? These are very significant risks, particularly for a laptop since they are inherently difficult to easily open up, fully, and get into - and thus, fix.

You were able to use this with an external monitor for close to two weeks (enough time for a reasonable test). Try giving enough time for any moisture to dry out and try the power button again (make sure the battery is fully charged or the psu is plugged in). Unfortunately, if it still dosen't power up you will need to get inside for a closer inspection.
November 20, 2012 8:49:40 PM

nice answer mesab66
Thanks
I really appreciate it.

When and if i decide to open it up, what would i be looking for?
a b D Laptop
November 21, 2012 12:46:10 AM

It's just that I find it highly amusing that people would actually buy something that's defective and then go around seeking help on forums when it gives them problems. :) 
In any case if you had waited for Black Friday you'd have gotten the same laptop, brand new, for the same price.
Anyway, if you're going to open it up, you'll want to focus on the CMOS battery, since it's a start up problem. Here's a link that will help you. It's for the K53, but the mechanics are pretty much the same. Focus on steps 12-16.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to-disassemble-asus-k...

Here's the link for the screen, in case there's something you missed.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to-replace-screen-on-...

Good luck.
November 21, 2012 1:28:54 AM

First let me thank you for the links and advice.
I am sure they will be helpful.


sure
a new i5-2310 laptop for $200 bucks.
not happening
not even if you wait in line for 12 hours.
not even when they advertise an item when they only have 2 available.
not even if i just include ANY I5 3rd generation computer, desktop or notebook
you are not going to find one, for $200 bucks.
That $200 includes the screen cost too.
Send me a link or post it here.



amusing
whatever
it must be nice to be amused so easily.

how do you think people learn new skills?
duh!
You have to start somewhere.

Where do you expect someone would go, for help?
ASUS??

Its called tomshardware for a reason.
Figure it out yourself.
November 21, 2012 3:14:33 PM

checking out the asus site i think its possible this model may have a reset hole on the bottom. At least i see some mention of a reset hole in a similar notebook i just purchased, but there was no picture to show where it is.
can anyone tell me what i might be looking for, or where this might be located if my model has one?
November 21, 2012 3:22:57 PM

Compressed air commonly causes static discharge.
December 17, 2012 5:12:49 PM

Try taking the battery and memory modules out and then holding the power button down for 2 minutes.... That might reset something in the bios that is keeping it from loading lol.

alohascott said:
I Think I broke my laptop. asus K55A-BBL4

I picked up this notebook with a cracked screen (for less than the CPU alone has sold recently on eBay) and was attempting to replace the screen when it died on me.

To give you an idea of what I know about computers.

I build desktop systems and buy and sell computers and computer parts, so I have a bit of tech knowledge.
However I have recently started trying to work on some broken laptops and am not having much luck at all with repairing those broken laptops.


Here is a bit more info on the laptop and what happened.

I had been using this computer for a while with the screen removed and plugged into an external monitor.

When the screen came in, I tried to hook it up but was only able to get the backlight to work but was unable to get anything to display on the laptop screen.

After unhooking the screen and attempting to blow out the cable that connects to the screen with compressed air, then connecting it back up again and turning it on, the computer stopped responding to the power button.

I think what possibly happened was a short circuit caused by moisture from the compressed air or a short caused by an improperly aligned connection.

if you have another theory please share it.

my two questions are

Is there any way I can reset this computer and get it to turn on again?

If I am correct and the damage was caused by a short in the cable, what part was most likely damaged.

I would really love to get this thing working again, it’s a powerful little computer and Its got the i5-3210M CPU
here is a site with specs.

http://laptoping.com/asus-k55a-bbl4.html

Asus K55A-BBL4 Specifications

Display: 15.6-inch 1366 x 768, LED backlight, glossy
Processor: 3rd Generation Intel Core i5-3210M dual core, 2.5-3.1GHz clock speed, 3MB L3 cache
Graphics: Intel HD 4000 integrated
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1,600MHz, expandable to 8GB thanks to 2 slots
Storage: 500GB 5,400rpm HDD
Optical Drive: DVD burner
Webcam: 0.3MP, with microphone
Audio: Stereo speakers by Altec Lansing
Network: Wireless N, Gigabit LAN, no Bluetooth
Input: Chiclet keyboard with numeric pad, multi-touch one-piece trackpad
Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, HDMI, VGA, multi-in-one media card reader
Battery: 6-cell 4700mAh 50Whr
Dimensions: 1.3″ (1.00-1.25″ more precisely) x 14.9″ x 9.9″
Weight: 5.6 pounds
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
Warranty: 1-year

The only thing about those specs that is wrong (that I know of) is the max memory is 16gb not 8gb, it can run, and was running fine at full speed, 2 *
8gb sticks of ddr3 1600 memory for 16gb of total system memory.

December 17, 2012 5:14:57 PM

Also, are you sure you didn't accidentally plug a cable in wrong when you were putting it back together? Sometimes a wire unrelated to the task works itself free when you are moving system components as well.
December 17, 2012 7:08:11 PM

wow 2 minutes
thanks
scott
January 7, 2013 1:14:31 AM

I am having the same exact problem with the same exact laptop, and i'm wondering if holding the power button two minutes did work for you?
January 7, 2013 1:34:50 AM

I'm assuming then that you haven't gotten anything to work yet? A friend of mine accidentally dragged my computer with his car, and my screen was cracked, and the frame partially bent. I've had the computer working fine with a monitor for awhile, and then I ordered a screen replacement. After that however, the power button would not respond, and the lights on the front of my computer will not recognize anything even if I plug in the charger. Let me know if you happen to make any progress with it!

And I do have much experience as well with building computers, as well as fixing computers, and this is frankly baffling. If anyone has some helpful advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

January 7, 2013 3:18:23 PM

what are you going to do if you can not fix it?
i see tons of broken notebooks sell on ebay.
January 14, 2013 9:17:37 PM

I have a customers laptop asus K55A, same problem, plugged in with or without battery no lights, no charge no power.
I removed every component other than processor to see if there is something causing a short, in the past, I've had luck numerous times just taking out a simple screw, as it was shorting out something on motherboard, or pushing against faulted aluminum sheeting that acts as a ground front covering the interior of the laptop. though this was not the case.
Upon using a volt meter, I can get juice comming out of the adapter, and following the traces of the mobo, get to a certain chip, further from the chip is either less than the 19V as I was detecting, or no voltage at all.
Upon further investigations via blogs and what not, it seems that chip is an internal power supply that regulates the votages to proper areas of the motherbord, it is unfortunately fried, and would take some serious micro soldering to fix, so that is beyond the tools I have here. Unfortunatly I have to tell the customer it is in need of mobo replacement, which is horribly expensive, ~from 175 -280 dollars.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, seems you may have shorted it out, possibly due to esd, much like water, takes path of least resistance.
compressed air may have had a bit of moisture if using can air, If using compressor, I doubt there may have been much moisture. Also I've never heard of compressed air causing static discharge, vaccums do, not compressors. I hope you used an anti static wrist band or something in that nature.
In this customers case, he always left the adapter plugged into the laptop, I always suggest pluging it in the wall first, then the laptop, upon removal, remove from laptop then remove from the wall, Due to the electric surge that happens on occasion, you'll notice sometimes plugging in devices, there will be a slight spark, or pop sound. if connected to the laptop the surge can go through your circuitry, and the built in resistors can only take but so much, over time they short out, and you lack resistance.
If you do not have it attached to the laptop, worst case scenario upon a surge as such, is a shorted power supply which is much more affordable to replace than the laptop. I believe this is how my customers laptop in particular was shorted.
January 15, 2013 12:39:27 AM

thanks for the info
nice to hear from someone who has actually tried to fix this problem and come to a conclusion.
even if its not what i wanted to hear.
January 15, 2013 6:33:18 AM

Labrynthian said:
It's just that I find it highly amusing that people would actually buy something that's defective and then go around seeking help on forums when it gives them problems. :) 
In any case if you had waited for Black Friday you'd have gotten the same laptop, brand new, for the same price.
Anyway, if you're going to open it up, you'll want to focus on the CMOS battery, since it's a start up problem. Here's a link that will help you. It's for the K53, but the mechanics are pretty much the same. Focus on steps 12-16.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to-disassemble-asus-k...

Here's the link for the screen, in case there's something you missed.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to-replace-screen-on-...

Good luck.


No way your going to get this laptop at that price on Black Friday or any other day for that matter this is a new Asus model and sells for 600.00 or more new. Maybe you could get it for 10.00 or 20.00 less than 600.00 but thats about it.
January 15, 2013 6:38:49 AM

I Forgot to mention I know because I recearched this model before buying this new model myself and it is no way near compatable to the old k53 so please do your homework before you post such a rediculous rumor here. the new specification for mine is listed below. You could never get a new Asus, for less than what I paid with these specifications.

Display: 15.6-inch 1366 x 768, LED backlight, glossy
Processor: 3rd Generation Intel Core i5-3210M dual core, 2.5-3.1GHz clock speed, 3MB L3 cache
Graphics: Intel HD 4000 integrated
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1,600MHz, expandable to 16GB thanks to 2 slots
Storage: 750GB 5,400rpm HDD
Optical Drive: DVD+Dual layer burner
Webcam: 0.3MP, with microphone
Audio: Stereo speakers by Altec Lansing
Network: Wireless N, Gigabit LAN, now with Bluetooth
Input: Chiclet keyboard with numeric pad, multi-touch one-piece trackpad
Ports and Slots: 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, HDMI, VGA, multi-in-one media card reader
Battery: 6-cell 4700mAh 50Whr
Dimensions: 1.3″ (1.00-1.25″ more precisely) x 14.9″ x 9.9″
Weight: 5.6 pounds
June 8, 2013 3:32:53 AM

alohascott said:
I always look forward to the responses I get here on tomshardware.com
Some are great and others seem really negative and are not much help.
...
But thanks anyway, I am sure your did best to help me with your helpful suggestions and constructive ideas.


Unfortunately no help from me either but I stumbled on your message researching an unrelated problem on my laptop and although I do not come on Tom's Hardware often, I always relied on knowledgeable people's advice here.

Like you, I find it only adds to the frustration when you're trying to find a solution and some "laptop expert" having nothing to offer just goes on a random rant! Does not say much about the displayed "rating" user's get here...

I can only admire the restraint used in your response specially your last sentence.

Anyways, good luck with the laptop.

Cheers!
!