System Restore won't start on a new install.

June 30, 2005 12:49:11 PM

I just did a new XP pro re-install after a HD crash and after I added SP2 and
the basic video and other drivers along with NAV 2005, I decided to set a
restore point.

When I clicked system restore I get the hour glass for a second or two and
then nothing happens, no error msgs or anything, just the regular windows
desktop.

As near as I can tell the restore services seem to be running I just can't
get the program to start.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Hal
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 4:04:11 PM

Hi,

To confirm that the "Task Scheduler" and "System Restore Service" are
running:
Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD then press enter.
Type Net Start at the command prompt and press enter.
Both should be displayed.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

hals wrote:
> I just did a new XP pro re-install after a HD crash and
> after I added SP2 and the basic video and other drivers
> along with NAV 2005, I decided to set a restore point.
>
> When I clicked system restore I get the hour glass for a
> second or two and then nothing happens, no error msgs or
> anything, just the regular windows desktop.
>
> As near as I can tell the restore services seem to be
> running I just can't get the program to start.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hal
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 4:04:12 PM

Their both running and I disabled NAV protection, it still won't start.
Hal

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> To confirm that the "Task Scheduler" and "System Restore Service" are
> running:
> Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD then press enter.
> Type Net Start at the command prompt and press enter.
> Both should be displayed.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> hals wrote:
> > I just did a new XP pro re-install after a HD crash and
> > after I added SP2 and the basic video and other drivers
> > along with NAV 2005, I decided to set a restore point.
> >
> > When I clicked system restore I get the hour glass for a
> > second or two and then nothing happens, no error msgs or
> > anything, just the regular windows desktop.
> >
> > As near as I can tell the restore services seem to be
> > running I just can't get the program to start.
> >
> > Any Ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Hal

June 30, 2005 5:19:02 PM

Hi Hal,

Test to see if it will start in Safe Mode.
Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup
and select Safe Mode.

If that doesn't work it will be necessary to reinstall System Restore.
The only downfall is that all restore points will be lost. But that
doesn't matter because they can not be accessed anyway.
How to reinstall System Restore.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR

--

hals wrote:
> Their both running and I disabled NAV protection, it
> still won't start. Hal
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> To confirm that the "Task Scheduler" and "System Restore
>> Service" are running:
>> Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD then press
>> enter.
>> Type Net Start at the command prompt and press enter.
>> Both should be displayed.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> hals wrote:
>>> I just did a new XP pro re-install after a HD crash and
>>> after I added SP2 and the basic video and other drivers
>>> along with NAV 2005, I decided to set a restore point.
>>>
>>> When I clicked system restore I get the hour glass for a
>>> second or two and then nothing happens, no error msgs or
>>> anything, just the regular windows desktop.
>>>
>>> As near as I can tell the restore services seem to be
>>> running I just can't get the program to start.
>>>
>>> Any Ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Hal
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:03:42 PM

Hi Hal

What happens if you disable NAV 2005? Does SR work then?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"hals" <hals@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just did a new XP pro re-install after a HD crash and after I added SP2
>and
> the basic video and other drivers along with NAV 2005, I decided to set a
> restore point.
>
> When I clicked system restore I get the hour glass for a second or two and
> then nothing happens, no error msgs or anything, just the regular windows
> desktop.
>
> As near as I can tell the restore services seem to be running I just can't
> get the program to start.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hal
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:53:28 AM

Hi Bert

The sr.inf file isn't hidden. It's in the windows\inf folder - right click
on it and select Install

--

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
news:o 5UHrfZfFHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi Hal,
>
> Test to see if it will start in Safe Mode.
> Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup and
> select Safe Mode.
>
> If that doesn't work it will be necessary to reinstall System Restore. The
> only downfall is that all restore points will be lost. But that doesn't
> matter because they can not be accessed anyway.
> How to reinstall System Restore.
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#ReinstallSR
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> hals wrote:
>> Their both running and I disabled NAV protection, it
>> still won't start. Hal
>>
>> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> To confirm that the "Task Scheduler" and "System Restore
>>> Service" are running:
>>> Click Start, click Run, and then type CMD then press
>>> enter.
>>> Type Net Start at the command prompt and press enter.
>>> Both should be displayed.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>>> http://dts-l.org/

Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:53:29 AM

Hi Will,

Quote from the reference I linked to "The following file is located in
a hidden folder", the inf folder is hidden. Maybe not to most of us,
because we view hidden files. <g>

--

!