  • Error Message
  • Command Prompt
  • Windows XP
June 30, 2005 1:51:03 PM

I posted a message about EXE files not being associated with anything
yesterday but I can't get back to the message thread in Support.

I was advised to run command.com and edit the registry, but I'm getting the
same error message with .com files.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jackie

More about : exe file associations lost

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 5:26:46 PM

Hi Jackie,

Windows XP File Association Fixes

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/

Jackie wrote:
> I posted a message about EXE files not being associated
> with anything yesterday but I can't get back to the
> message thread in Support.
>
> I was advised to run command.com and edit the registry,
> but I'm getting the same error message with .com files.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jackie
June 30, 2005 9:57:56 PM

"Jackie" <Jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I posted a message about EXE files not being associated with anything
> yesterday but I can't get back to the message thread in Support.
>
> I was advised to run command.com and edit the registry, but I'm getting
the
> same error message with .com files.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jackie
Mine doesn't either, but everything works just fine. What problem are you
having?
If you are missing the desktop pictures, those are just shortcuts which you
can create with Windows Explorer.
Jim
June 30, 2005 9:57:57 PM

Hi Jim

Followed the link, got the clue how to open command.com (which wouldn't work
via Start/Accessories), copied regedit.exe to .com, modified the relevant
entry, rebooted and all seems well!

Any idea what would have caused the problem?

Many thanks

Jackie

"Jim" wrote:

> "Jackie" <Jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I posted a message about EXE files not being associated with anything
> > yesterday but I can't get back to the message thread in Support.
> >
> > I was advised to run command.com and edit the registry, but I'm getting
> the
> > same error message with .com files.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jackie
> Mine doesn't either, but everything works just fine. What problem are you
> having?
> If you are missing the desktop pictures, those are just shortcuts which you
> can create with Windows Explorer.
> Jim

July 2, 2005 3:38:46 AM

"" wrote:
> "Jackie" <Jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I posted a message about EXE files not being associated with
> anything
> > yesterday but I can't get back to the message thread in
> Support.
> >
> > I was advised to run command.com and edit the registry, but I'm getting
> the
> > same error message with .com files.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jackie
> Mine doesn't either, but everything works just fine. What
> problem are you
> having?
> If you are missing the desktop pictures, those are just
> shortcuts which you
> can create with Windows Explorer.
> Jim

exe’s SHOULDNT EVER be asosiated with any thing, if you do asosiate it
with any other program, i can asure you windows WILL brake, and will
requier reinstalling, as this will mean that when you try to run a
program, insted of running the program you want it to run, it will try
and open the exe your trying to run with the program thats asosiated
with it, i rmeebr a friend of mine asosiating exe’s with winzip :p  i
gave him a good shouting at :D

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-EXE-file-as...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1749142
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:55:23 PM

Hi Jackie,

Very likely caused by virus, malware/spyware infection.

Here are some steps for Virus and Spyware removal and prevention.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

--

!