EXE & COM file associations lost

I posted a message about EXE files not being associated with anything
yesterday but I can't get back to the message thread in Support.

I was advised to run command.com and edit the registry, but I'm getting the
same error message with .com files.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jackie
5 answers Last reply
More about file associations lost

    Hi Jackie,

    Windows XP File Association Fixes

    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
    http://dts-l.org/

    "Jackie" <Jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I posted a message about EXE files not being associated with anything
    > yesterday but I can't get back to the message thread in Support.
    >
    > I was advised to run command.com and edit the registry, but I'm getting
    the
    > same error message with .com files.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jackie
    Mine doesn't either, but everything works just fine. What problem are you
    having?
    If you are missing the desktop pictures, those are just shortcuts which you
    can create with Windows Explorer.
    Jim

    Hi Jim

    Followed the link, got the clue how to open command.com (which wouldn't work
    via Start/Accessories), copied regedit.exe to .com, modified the relevant
    entry, rebooted and all seems well!

    Any idea what would have caused the problem?

    Many thanks

    Jackie

    "" wrote:
    > "Jackie" <Jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I posted a message about EXE files not being associated with
    > anything
    > > yesterday but I can't get back to the message thread in
    > Support.
    > >
    > > I was advised to run command.com and edit the registry, but I'm getting
    > the
    > > same error message with .com files.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Jackie
    > Mine doesn't either, but everything works just fine. What
    > problem are you
    > having?
    > If you are missing the desktop pictures, those are just
    > shortcuts which you
    > can create with Windows Explorer.
    > Jim

    exe’s SHOULDNT EVER be asosiated with any thing, if you do asosiate it
    with any other program, i can asure you windows WILL brake, and will
    requier reinstalling, as this will mean that when you try to run a
    program, insted of running the program you want it to run, it will try
    and open the exe your trying to run with the program thats asosiated
    with it, i rmeebr a friend of mine asosiating exe’s with winzip :P i
    gave him a good shouting at :D

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-EXE-file-associations-lost-ftopict551883.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1749142

    Hi Jackie,

    Very likely caused by virus, malware/spyware infection.

    Here are some steps for Virus and Spyware removal and prevention.
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

    --

    Jackie wrote:
    > Hi Jim
    >
    > Followed the link, got the clue how to open command.com
    > (which wouldn't work via Start/Accessories), copied
    > regedit.exe to .com, modified the relevant entry,
    > rebooted and all seems well!
    >
    > Any idea what would have caused the problem?
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Jackie
    >
    > "Jim" wrote:
    >

    >> "Jackie" <Jackie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >>> I posted a message about EXE files not being associated
    >>> with anything yesterday but I can't get back to the
    >>> message thread in Support.
    >>>
    >>> I was advised to run command.com and edit the registry,
    >>> but I'm getting the same error message with .com files.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Jackie
    >> Mine doesn't either, but everything works just fine.
    >> What problem are you having?
    >> If you are missing the desktop pictures, those are just
    >> shortcuts which you can create with Windows Explorer.
    >> Jim

Support Microsoft Error Message Command Prompt Windows XP