G

I have a system with the following specs:
Soyo 6BA133 motherboard
128 PC100 Ram
Nvida GTS 2 ddr 32meg AGP2x
400a celeron processor
western digital 20gig 7200rpm ata 66
all the newest drivers I can find for everything
I am just wondering why my system can't even get above 30fps when running 3dgames. I have benchmarked using 3dmark2000 and noticed most people who have the GTS score about 6-7 times higher. I would appreciate any insight about such a suckky score.
here are the scores:
Game 1 - Helicopter - Low Detail 37.05 FPS

Game 1 - Helicopter - Medium Detail 27.52 FPS

Game 1 - Helicopter - High Detail 14.83 FPS

Game 2 - Adventure - Low Detail 41.13 FPS

Game 2 - Adventure - Medium Detail 23.97 FPS

Game 2 - Adventure - High Detail 15.03 FPS
I hope there is a simple way to change these into somethign reputable. I ran the tests at 1024*768@32

Thanks to all

G

bye the way.. I did the benchmarking on a clean install of win98SE, with no background processes.

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i've never personaly played those games so i can't say for sure how graphics intensive they are. just from the looks of you system your processor may be your limiting factor right now. everything else looks like you should be getting better than that.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
When you say the newest drivers, do you mean the 7.xx series? Cause if you do, then they were made for DX8 and will not work well with DX7. And when you say a clean install of win98, did you upgrade to DX7 or just keep whatever version 98 comes with?

G

those games are included in 3dmark2000 as samples to test the card. They aren't real games. All of the other GTS 2 users get about 100+ fps on the low res, and on the high res they max out at 50-60. The results from the test are compiled at the website and are compared to other users with similar hardware.

G

i used dx 7 for the tests. by clean install i mean i used a new format. this test was done pre-dx8 (about last week)

G

iam not sure what your over all score was but i have the same problem and cannot find a solution anywhere, although running the tests in 1200 x 900 gave a better performance than un 1000 x 700

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
first of all, i'm sorry to say that your processor is the limiting factor. second, the default benchmark that we compare is 1024x768@16bit, not 32bit as you say you ran. lastly, here is a link to the highest score for a celeron 400 (it's the one on the right, and his scores are the bottom bars) <A HREF="http://www.madonion.com/performance/orb/?publish_compare.shtml?&dprid=77468 " target="_new">http://www.madonion.com/performance/orb/?publish_compare.shtml?&dprid=77468 </A>. that guy's score was with a geforce sdr and you are a bit higher than him with a gts so it sounds about right.

G

thanks for the info... I just bought a new kt7-raid, and am now saving up for a ghz thunderbird to go in it. I think that will fix everything. I thought maybe the via chipset was to blame, I never really realized how much your microprocessor affects gaming speeds. agian, thanks.

Filocifer

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Another AMD customer...HAHA INTEL. ABIT KT7 with a 1ghz Athlon will beat the living crap out of that celey 400 of yours. Welcome to the AMD family.

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

agriffin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, It's amazing what a simple processor upgrade can do. I can propogate that, I was looking for a cheap upgrade to improve my computers gaming performance. I was using a K-6-III 450 with a regular TNT 16meg card. I only had enough cash to buy either a new vid card or a new processor and mobo. I opted for the video card and got myself a brand new GF2 32meg ultra.

Well my framerates in Q3 went up by maybe 5 per second. With me thinking WTF?! So I took the card back and got a new mobo and a Thunderbird 800 and have got nearly 15 hike to about 45fps.

A lot of people think that just because they have an aging videocard that they need that upgrade. When in truth even an old card can do the trick for those a little short on cash!

G

Not trying to rag on you, but, why would you buy a mobo when you can't afford the cpu.

Why not buy both at the same time! Is it just me.
I actually had a friend who did about the same, new mobo and cpu, then had to wait to get the memory.
Some peoples children????

Take care and enjoy -- once yet get all of it.

G

In life you must have dreams and let me tell you that if I had a KT7 box to look at before I went to sleep I'd skip sleep and work, sell my body, anything to have enough cash to get tbird!