Service pack 2 windows file protection error

June 30, 2005 2:23:04 PM

"windows file protection"

"Files required to run properly have been replaced
with uncognized versions.
Windows must restore the original versions,
install service pack 2 windows xp home CD now."

I installed "service pack 2" months ago using
an update.

Yesterday I installed an update from the
microsoft crash analysis website as follows

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=f649cf8b-...

The browser works ok, but I have this error message
which won't go away.

--
mike
Anonymous

I have a similar problem also running XP Sp2. At every reboot, Windows File
Protection starts up and begins, then asks for my original CD, which has no
service packs on it. After a long time, it finishes without comment. Going to
Windows Update reveals nothing.

"mjboross" wrote:

> "windows file protection"
>
> "Files required to run properly have been replaced
> with uncognized versions.
> Windows must restore the original versions,
> install service pack 2 windows xp home CD now."
>
> I installed "service pack 2" months ago using
> an update.
>
> Yesterday I installed an update from the
> microsoft crash analysis website as follows
>
> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=f649cf8b-...
>
> The browser works ok, but I have this error message
> which won't go away.
>

> --
> mike
September 10, 2005 8:50:01 PM

DITTO below! In addition, my computer (Gateway Solo 5350 Laptop - 3 yrs old)
asks for the original CD sometimes when I am just opening a program, such as
"Search Companion." I have several anti-bad stuff programs, Ad-aware,
Spybot, CCleaner, Hijack this, plus Norton Internet Security 2005, and none
of them have found anything related to this file problem (in my humble
opinion). I can run SFC /scannow over and over and a little while later, the
file protection error will start again! Please help!

!