Service pack 2 windows file protection error

"windows file protection"

"Files required to run properly have been replaced
with uncognized versions.
Windows must restore the original versions,
install service pack 2 windows xp home CD now."

I installed "service pack 2" months ago using
an update.

Yesterday I installed an update from the
microsoft crash analysis website as follows

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=f649cf8b-0f99-45ce-9153-19fbec5a5ecf&SID=1501

The browser works ok, but I have this error message
which won't go away.

--
mike
2 answers Last reply

    I have a similar problem also running XP Sp2. At every reboot, Windows File
    Protection starts up and begins, then asks for my original CD, which has no
    service packs on it. After a long time, it finishes without comment. Going to
    Windows Update reveals nothing.

    "mjboross" wrote:

    > "windows file protection"
    >
    > "Files required to run properly have been replaced
    > with uncognized versions.
    > Windows must restore the original versions,
    > install service pack 2 windows xp home CD now."
    >
    > I installed "service pack 2" months ago using
    > an update.
    >
    > Yesterday I installed an update from the
    > microsoft crash analysis website as follows
    >
    > http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=f649cf8b-0f99-45ce-9153-19fbec5a5ecf&SID=1501
    >
    > The browser works ok, but I have this error message
    > which won't go away.
    >

    > --
    > mike

    DITTO below! In addition, my computer (Gateway Solo 5350 Laptop - 3 yrs old)
    asks for the original CD sometimes when I am just opening a program, such as
    "Search Companion." I have several anti-bad stuff programs, Ad-aware,
    Spybot, CCleaner, Hijack this, plus Norton Internet Security 2005, and none
    of them have found anything related to this file problem (in my humble
    opinion). I can run SFC /scannow over and over and a little while later, the
    file protection error will start again! Please help!

    "Grateful" wrote:

    > I have a similar problem also running XP Sp2. At every reboot, Windows File
    > Protection starts up and begins, then asks for my original CD, which has no
    > service packs on it. After a long time, it finishes without comment. Going to
    > Windows Update reveals nothing.
    >
    > "mjboross" wrote:
    >
    > > "windows file protection"
    > >
    > > "Files required to run properly have been replaced
    > > with uncognized versions.
    > > Windows must restore the original versions,
    > > install service pack 2 windows xp home CD now."
    > >
    > > I installed "service pack 2" months ago using
    > > an update.
    > >
    > > Yesterday I installed an update from the
    > > microsoft crash analysis website as follows
    > >
    > > http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=f649cf8b-0f99-45ce-9153-19fbec5a5ecf&SID=1501
    > >
    > > The browser works ok, but I have this error message
    > > which won't go away.
    > >

    > > --
    > > mike

Microsoft Windows XP