Worth the upgrade?

G

My current system is as follows:
Pentium II 300mhz
192mb SDRAM
32mb TNT2

While looking at the new video cards, the GeForce2 Ultra made me drool like a madman! Would I see any system performance boost in my favorite games (namely EverQuest, Rune, etc.), even though my processor is so wee. I heard that the 300 mhz may bottle neck even the TNT 2, so am I seeing as good as I can get with my current setup? I'm mainly looking for an increase in FPS. I guess what I'm asking is should I upgrade my processor before even thinking about the GeForce2 Ultra. Thanks for the help.

G

I think you should try to upgrade the processor.. check on the Recommended Requirements for the GeForce2.. there should say about the min processor speed. I have a PIII 550 with the same card as you.. I get around 46FPS in QIII and in UT around 48FPS at 600x800, 32 bit colot, high on everything. I dont crave for FPS.. so.. that is good enough for me. Oh and 128 PC100 RAM.

/---------------------------------------/
Be and let others be as well!
<b>The Dark-Knight</b>

G

Geforce 2 ultras are awsome but very pricey. Upgrading the processor will be cheaper and give you a good jump in fps. Upgrade your video card later when the prices drop.

G

Like the others said, PII 300 is not enough for a GeForce 2 Ultra. Upgrade your cpu first ( something over 500 mhz )then you'd have a fast enough cpu for the beast! ;)

G

Depends if the games are more CPU intensive or Video card intensive. But I do know this, your processor is on the lower end of things right now. A card like the Ultra would not perform nearly its potential on a 300MHz system.
Go for the cpu first. It'd be a lot cheaper too. And who knows, it may solve all your problems. :)

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
STOP! Grab a jar and put a dollar in it. Now put whatever you have in your wallet at the end of the day in that jar for the next six months. After that six months take what you have and go upgrade. The next six months will be an exciting time in the pc market. The NV20 will come out, aswell as DDR based systems. You've waited this long to upgrade, another six months won't kill you. Anything you see today will be old news in six months, so make your money count.

G

In six months time you can post the same thing and still be right. :)
I personally take the view that you upgrade to the best you can afford when your system no longer does what you want it to do, although, yes, there will be DDR system RAM for AMD chips in less than 6 months that are worth waiting for.

G

Dear Eldraug

Emm, sorry the post title is in win2000 forum under Win2k + A7V ATA100 Installation Guide

or what a search for my name

Best regards
cx5