Network Bridge

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I'm trying to bridge my two Linksys NIC's in my Windows XP Pro Machines. I have the network bridge setup on both my machines with two separate IP's.

I can browse the network and copy information, but my network status only shows 100Mb and my Linksys Switch only shows two connections accessing. All connections show that they have link.

Anyone have any ideas?

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
What's the problem? =)

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
can I ask why you are using a class A IP with a class C subnet mask ?

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
nothing wrong with the masks. But my question is for Lars - What are you really trying to accomplish? You mention "bridge" a few times. Are you trying to connect 2 LANS together? But then you mention NIC. Can you elaborate on the exact setup/hardware model numbers, etc? Might help.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
re: 10 IP

My guess would be the fact that a fair number of Cable/DSL routers come through these days with that subnet as the default (although they use an 8 bit mask with it). Along with 19.168.0.X it's probably the most used "private" IP

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Because it works and it doesn't matter! I was using a class A subnet (255.0.0.0), but my friend that "thinks" he knows everything started talking sh*t so I changed it to shut him up, because it doesn't matter. You know? XP assigns a class A default once you enter the IP.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I'm trying to use both Network cards to load balance and get 200Mb/sec. You do this on servers so you can get more bandwidth. Not true? Am I mistaken?

XP has the feature where you can bridge multiple connections into one so you only have to have one IP (ie 1394, etc.).
<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/hnw_understanding_bridge.asp" target="_new">Network Bridge</A>

With that said I have <A HREF="http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=26&prid=31" target="_new">4-Linksys 10/100 NIC's</A>. Connected to a <A HREF="http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=29&prid=149" target="_new">Linksys 10/100 switch</A>.

**It may not be possible the more I read on Microsoft's web page. From what I am reading it may only be possible with Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Datacenter Server.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Lars_Coleman on 04/12/02 07:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
you're on the right track except for the 200MB part. The bridge will not double your throughput. It will simply allow you to connect 2 lan segments.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Well I got it to bridge the connections, but it doesn't seem to use both of them for data transferring. It uses one but not the other!

Oh well. I guess I will have to look at Gigabit.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
hang on a sec, I think I get the picture. are you trying to connect 2 PC's back to back, each with 2 NIC's in them, and using 2 cables? Sort of like this:
_____ ______
PC A |--------------------- |PC B|
____|--------------------- |____|

?

If so, that's not what a bridge is supposed to be used for.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah that is what I'm trying to do ... but how else does it work? I have tried to assign both Network cards in each system different IP's but it didn't help.

I understand the bridge concept with the more reading that I do. Basically it's suppose to allow you to connect to either 1394 or a network card and have the same IP no matter the connection. Correct?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
no - a bridge is just a router, only operating at MAC address level (OSI layer 2) instead or IP (or routing, or OSI layer 3) level. It's got nothing to do with sharing IP addresses between interfaces.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I don't want to contradict you, but that is not what it says <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/winxppro/proddocs/hnw_mixed_network_environ.asp" target="_new">here</A>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
OK - the added functionality they're giving you is the capability of "bridging" or "connecting" disparate LAN's (LAN's using different physical or layer 1 transports) but each device on these LAN's will still have a unique IP address (due to the fact that the Bridge has no knowledge of Internet Protocol, it simply knows how to reformat Data Link level packets from one LAN to the other and back). In addition, it will not be able to cross connect 2 PC's (like I think you're trying to accomplish) as that would quite possibly cause an infinite loop, bad in both hardware AND software.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Like you mentioned i'm pretty sure the load balancing is only available on server OS's, but load balancing would just divide up the network load between the 2 nics. Not give you 200Mbs, just 2 100s.

As for the bridge part, a bridge is what the guy said above. Now although i see what your saying by bridging...i think we can consider that not being the same as a real bridge.

Are you using crossover cables for that btw? =)

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Err or nm, where's this switch come into play?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Ok. I have two NIC's in one machine and two in the other. I have two ethernet cables going from one system to the switch and another two cables going to the switch for the other machine. All connections to the switch show that they are 100Mb and have link. I bridge the connections in Windows XP Pro and when I transfer information, only one NIC on each machine does the transfer. Either the LED's on the NIC or the switch show that only two are doing the work.

I have found at this point the bridging the connections isn't the route that I want to go, so that isn't the issue, but I do want to load balance across both NIC's in each machine, but haven't messed with that at this point without the bridge in the picture. I'm going to go on that venture once I get home.

**Note the network works, but doesn't use both the NIC's like what I was trying to achieve.

I assume your COM assignations are fine? You would need two COM port numbers for two NIC cards.

A bridge (for the record) is a hub with the ability to block data from passing out through ports which it is not intended for. It is done by MAC address (NIC unique number). It's purpose is to reduce network congestion.

I too wondered about the IP/Sub thing. I thought there might be a really clever answer though, so I shut up. :smile:

<b><font color=blue>~ Whew! Finished...Now all I need is a Cyrix badge ~ </font color=blue> :wink: </b>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
A bridge is not a hub or hublike. And uh nics don't use com ports.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Ok, not sure about the load balancing in XP will have to look that up and I'm pretty positive only Pro would have it if either of them did. And there was nothing in the Knowledge Base about load balancing under XP.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Lars, your basic premise is flawed. The real purpose of this bridge is to connect 2 lans. Each NIC in the bridge machine will have one lan attached to it. there is no load balancing involved. IT JUST CONNECTS 2 LANs TOGETHER. Thats all.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
well, if its going on the record, the most correct description of a bridge is a two port switch. and the best deffinition of a switch is a multiport bridge. for the record.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
That's not even a definition really lol.