Sign in with
Your question

Advice on moving win 7 to new pc on same HDD

Last response: in Windows 7
July 9, 2010 10:24:23 AM

If I move my hard drive in my current computer to a new one will I run into any activation/driver issues for my copy of win 7. The copy of win 7 is Home premium bought from Microsoft through the UK student deal and it was downloaded but I have a disc also and I am pretty sure it's a upgrade copy.

More about : advice moving win hdd

a b $ Windows 7
July 9, 2010 10:54:21 AM

If the motherboard is not the same, you will be running into a lot of driver issues. Overall, whenever there are too many hardware changes, such as different motherboards, I just do a fresh installation of the OS.
m
l
July 9, 2010 11:34:38 AM

Thanks for the reply, but how am I able fresh install win 7 with a upgrade copy and will I not run into activation issue.
m
l
Related resources
July 9, 2010 11:57:26 AM

I have found that if you are going from an intel based machine to intel based machine.. windows generally works you just have to updated drivers for the new hardware and call M$ for re-activation. I know this I just went from core2 duo to i7 and didn't have to reinstall except that acronis messed up the partitions when imaging to my raid set lol hidden partitions were suddenly visible etc
m
l
!